PDA

View Full Version : Can players make changes to their characters when the host is offline?

NineShadowEyes
October 24th, 2018, 23:53
I can't figure out how to make this happen.

Thanks.

LordEntrails
October 25th, 2018, 00:00
Yes and no.

They can not access the characters stored on your computer, or the DLC you have shared with them. But, they can go into Manage Characters and select your campaign and from there export the character (because it's owned by your campaig they can not modify it). Then they can import those, edit them, and export them again. Then when connected to your session again they can re-import the characters.

This helps keep players from making changes you are not aware of.

NineShadowEyes
October 25th, 2018, 00:06
k, thx.

Bidmaron
October 25th, 2018, 00:29
Are you sure you can do this with a demo license? For one of my players he could not see his guy unless he was connected to my game.
I had to buy him a standard license and then he could see his character when not connected.

LordEntrails
October 25th, 2018, 00:42
Are you sure you can do this with a demo license? For one of my players he could not see his guy unless he was connected to my game.
I had to buy him a standard license and then he could see his character when not connected.
Not sure, haven't tried in years.

Andraax
October 25th, 2018, 02:14
It works with the demo license as long as it's a ruleset that the player has.

Bidmaron
October 25th, 2018, 03:53
Well, the ruleset I was using is PF2, so I don't understand how he didn't have access to PF2. It is included with all licenses.

damned
October 25th, 2018, 04:16
Well, the ruleset I was using is PF2, so I don't understand how he didn't have access to PF2. It is included with all licenses.

Nope. Only with licensed licenses.

Bidmaron
October 25th, 2018, 05:12
Well, that's the reason then. Thanks.

Trenloe
October 25th, 2018, 11:15
A couple of things need clarifying in this thread:

1) The PFRPG2 ruleset (PFRPG2.pak) is included with unlicensed installs. It is the library data (core rules data and bestiary) that aren't available to unlicensed FG installs. So a player on a Free version can use managed characters for PFRPG2 - they'll just have to enter all the data manually though.

2) Using Manage Characters, an unlicensed player can access a campaign cache of a GMs game they've previously joined. This works even for rulesets that the player doesn't have installed locally - as long as they've connected to the GM before and still have the campaign cached data, and select the relevant campaign in Manage Characters. They won't be able to use that ruleset in the ruleset based Manager Characters, only in the cached Campaign based mode. They won't have access to any of the modules the GM shared while in Manage Characters, only when connected to the GM.

@Bidmaron - your player should have been able to access their campaign cache and see their PC in the campaign mode of Manage Characters. I'm guessing they'd either cleared their cache, were on a computer different to the one that connected to you, had released their PC before last leaving your game or maybe just didn't really understand where to go in Manage Characters.

Bidmaron
October 25th, 2018, 23:39
Trenloe, I have never GM'ed with demo license holders before, so I had no personal experience in what should have happened. I knew it would work with Standard though, and it costs less that a couple's dinner and movie. So, it was a no-brainer. I am sure what you speculate was the case, but it just isn't/wasn't worth tracking down when I knew a very low cost solution.