PDA

View Full Version : Gain Access to Content: Kingmaker

Nerosus
October 21st, 2018, 10:24
Hello there

I've been preparing some kingmaker and have gotten to the part where I've started to add some of the extra stuff from the various extra books and house rules, but I am running into a problem:

I am unable to hit the size the module uses for its city grid and building tokens. They are always a to big or to small. Currently, the grid I have created is 1600x1650, which seems incredibly large compared to what I have seen suggested for tokens and such on the forums.

So is there a way to gain access to the images and tokens in a campaign, so I can get the size of the images it is using?

Targas
October 21st, 2018, 11:24
I guess you won‘t find someone sharing copyright material with you. Try to use the maps you have. As long as you can keep the filesize down to 1MB it shouldn‘t be an issue. If it is 2MB, simply slice the map in half. You don‘t necessarily need to have the map size being 50 pixel each grid. It can be 25, or 20 as well. Depends on what content is going to be shown. Official resources can be found from Paizo, where they sell PDF of almost anything being available for Pathfinder.

Trenloe
October 21st, 2018, 11:30
File size of images/maps is not the first thing you should be concerned about. Image resolution is the main thing - as this directly affects the memory that FG uses. The recommendation is to try to keep images/maps used to 2048x2048 pixels or less.

EDIT: 2048x2048 is for maps and images. Tokens should be much less than this. 128x128 is average for "medium" type creatures. 256x256 is more than enough for most tokens (filling 2 or 3 grid squares). Only use sizes bigger than this for truly massive creatures/structures that occupy many squares on the map (i.e. way above 3x3 squares).

File size affects image share time. With a recommendation of 1MB being a good compromise between image quality (i.e. not too compressed) and reasonably fast share time to players.

@Nerosus - I’ll answer your question about getting image sizes in the next post...

Nerosus
October 21st, 2018, 11:48
I already have most of the of materials as PDF's (Ultimate Rulership, Ultimate Campaign, etc), so no need for sharing.

But the main problem is when I drag the official tokens from the Adventure path into the city grid from Ultimate Campaign, the size doesn't match.

So during the game, time would be wasted trying to get the token the right size.

damned
October 21st, 2018, 12:09
Are you applying a grid to teh maps from within Fantasy Grounds?

Bidmaron
October 21st, 2018, 13:11
Hey, Nerosus, at the risk of highjacking your thread, what 3rd party resources have you found useful for Kingmaker?

Targas
October 21st, 2018, 14:01
I would guess Ultimate Campaign (Ausbauregeln4 Kampagnen), Chapter4: Kingdom building, which can be complimented with Quests & Campaigns (Questen und Kampagnen). And yes, having a grid on the image/map will force the tokens to be squeezed to fit into those. Maybe you can directly state which source/file name/book/page you have a question about.

Nerosus
October 21st, 2018, 16:32
I am not applying any grid. The "City Sheet" doesn't have the same layout as a standard map (lots of equally sized squares). There are roads between the buildings.

That is correct Targas. Most of the really useful stuff is from Ultimate Campaign (really enjoy this book).
Other 3rd party sources I also have found useful, but only with a little of content implemented are Ultimate Rulership and Book of the River Nations

I am also using various house rules found on forums, blogs and such.

The book the data is in is Kingmaker: Rivers Run Red. The tokens are on p. 62 and the grid I am trying to use looks like the one on p. 63.

These are the things I would like find within the files from Fantasy Grounds so I can find out what size they are and create tokens that automatically fit.

Myrdin Potter
October 21st, 2018, 16:37
If you made the tokens yourself, then you need to associate them with a creature / NPC with a size attribute for FG to automatically size them to the grid.

Otherwise, when you drag a token onto a map it will be the size of the token in pixels and you will have to adjust it once it is on the map.

Targas
October 21st, 2018, 16:47
I think (but haven‘t tried because I don‘t own part2 of the FG adventure path module), it would still be possible to enable grids.
Yes, squares will have roads adjacent to them, but the distance is equal across, so with a bit fine tuning and overlap of half the road, it should be manageable. If this is not your preferred option, indeed you need to know the token size. Unfortunately, the data of a purchased module is in most cases encrypted, so you cannot find out by yourself. Only the creator/owner of the FG module might help you, which would yield in not many responses..
AFAIK dropping tokens on a map which does not have a grid, will make them non persistent, in other words when you open FG the next time you might find out all tokens are no longer in place. Forget about those tiny roads IMHO, and create a grid. That‘s the most efficient way. You might even want to create a map with no roads at all...

Trenloe
October 21st, 2018, 18:14
OK, there needs some clarifications here, as there's a couple of things mentioned in this thread that are confusing/not entirely accurate.
1) Tokens placed on a map when there isn't a grid will persist. Tokens added to a map have their location (x,y coordinates) and any individual scaling, plus overall image token scaling lock value, stored in the FG database. When FG is close and open later these values will be retrieved from the database and all tokens placed back where they were originally.
2) If there is a grid on the map, the behavior when a token is placed on the map is a little different. There is a campaign option "Token: Auto-scale to grid" that is 80% as default, but can be set to 100% or off. If set to 80% or 100%, when a token is added to the map it will be scaled to fit within a single grid square - 80% means it will be a little smaller than the square. The exception to this is when tokens added to the map from the combat tracker - which will use the combat tracker "Size" setting for the creature - and auto size the tokens to fit within the relevant number of squares based off the size field.
3) Once a token is on the map, you can change the individual zoom of that token by using CTRL+mouse-wheel on the token on the map or, if the token was placed from a creature on the combat tracker, you can also use CTRL+mouse-wheel on the token field in the combat tracker to change the scale of the token on the map.
4) If you're not using a grid, you can set a token scaling factor for all tokens. Add a token to the map, zoom the map in/out until the token is scaled how you wish it - then right-click on it and select "Lock token scale". This will set a generic token scale for the whole map and tokens added later will be scaled appropriately. You can still then manually scale the token once on the map using CTRL+mouse-wheel. The main thing here is for all of the tokens to be of similar sizes (based off the desired relative display size on the final map).

More info on token scaling here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Scaling

@Nerosus - I'm guessing that what you want is something along the lines of #4 - don't use a grid, but use tokens that all have relevant sizes based off how many squares they will take on the city map. But, as you say, you need to get an idea of the sizes used in the actual Kingmaker module.

Looking at the "Map - Kingmaker City Tile Template 3x3" that comes with the Kingmaker Player Guide in poart 1, and using the Windows snipping tool to take screenshots of the map (set at the original size) with a few tokens added - it appears that each of the squares is approximately 130 pixels square. So, if you're creating new building tokens make them 130x130 for one square, 260x260 for two by two, 260x130 for two by one, etc..

I hope that all helps?

Nerosus
October 21st, 2018, 21:02
Thank you Trenloe! Those sizes match up exactly with the original city grid. Now I could find the actual size for the new grid I was trying to implement:D

Thank you again :D

Trenloe
October 21st, 2018, 21:04
Thank you Trenloe! Those sizes match up exactly with the original city grid. Now I could find the actual size for the new grid I was trying to implement:D
Use Windows snipping tool to capture one of the grid squares in your new grid - save the file from windows snipping tool and look at the image dimensions of the saved file.