PDA

View Full Version : purevpn

blueknight122
October 19th, 2018, 09:35
I feel like an idiot because ive spent the last two days just trying to host a game. I gave up on trying port forwarding and im now trying PureVPN i bought their subscription and I cant seem to figure out how every by passed FG connection. Any help would be much appreciated im just frustrated at this point.

Trenloe
October 19th, 2018, 09:57
Things to keep in mind:
1) Most people need the PureVPN dedicated IP address add on.
2) Wait until the PureVPN client has fully connected and assigned an IP address before starting Fantasy Grounds. This ensures FG knows of your VPN IP addrsss - which it needs for the port forwarding test, and also for the alias functionality.
3) Make sure that the PureVPN network connection is set to Private and not Public. Check this when connected.

If this still doesn’t work, please provide some info of the steps you're taking. Also list the security/anti-virus/anti-malware apps you have installed on your computer.

blueknight122
October 19th, 2018, 10:03
Thank you for the reply I was just adding the extension hoping that would work when you did which gives me a lot more confidence in it. I will post if it works or doesn’t but I do appreciate the fast replies

Myrdin Potter
October 19th, 2018, 14:25
I am assuming the dedicated ip option worked. I am using it right now and have for years.

blueknight122
October 19th, 2018, 19:01
No it’s still not working but I believe that’s on purevpn because I can’t seem to establish a connection for the dedicated IP. Sorry didn’t respond sooner just got frustrated with spending all night trying and went to sleep. Unfortunately due to work I won’t be able to work on it more till Tuesday although this is very frustrating I’m not throwing the towel in yet.

blueknight122
October 19th, 2018, 19:05
If anybody knows a video tutorial on how to set it up I’d be happy to take a look. I tried zero time and while I got an established connection to a server. I couldn’t use it to get connected I’ve been trying to connect with my laptop and desktop as a test and made my wife a demo account on FG. Some I have the ultimate license

blueknight122
October 19th, 2018, 19:15
Honestly I’m just frustrated and pissed if I have to take a networking class and run my own damn internet with blackjack and hookers I will ��

Trenloe
October 19th, 2018, 20:06
I couldn’t use it to get connected I’ve been trying to connect with my laptop and desktop as a test and made my wife a demo account on FG.
When connecting on your own network use the local IP address, not a alias or external IP address - as many routers don't allow connections out to the Internet and then back into the same location.

Do a test on your local network between a GM instance and player instance using the internal IP address reported by the GM's instance of FG on the Load Campaign screen. Don't use a VPN or anything else - and don't do a connection test. If this doesn't work, then there is an issue connecting into the GM's computer as this test will not use the Internet or port forwarding at all.

Let us know how you go with this internal test.

blueknight122
October 19th, 2018, 20:58
Well didn’t realize that thank you for the information. I will still test it locally but I’m definitely needing to get the external up and working because I have other players in different states thank you again for the information. I will keep posting what I learn.

Trenloe
October 19th, 2018, 21:18
I will still test it locally but I’m definitely needing to get the external up and working because I have other players in different states thank you again for the information.
Yep, I totally understand that. If the internal test fails, then there's no point in trying to connect someone externally - as it will be the GM computer that is blocking all connections. Testing internally allows you to make sure that the GM computer should accept connections - it's a good test to do, but we don't always suggest it at first as not everyone has two computers in the same house.

blueknight122
October 19th, 2018, 21:33
That also explains why zerotime didn’t work when I tried

Myrdin Potter
October 19th, 2018, 22:51
PureVPN has a very good technical support team. My suggestion is to call them and make sure the software is running well.

There are a few things I would check after PureVPN is connecting and working (like making sure you have an exception in your firewall for the program), but first getting the VPN to work helps.

blueknight122
October 20th, 2018, 06:42
So tested local address and that didn't work either assuming that means my fire wall is blocking the program?

Trenloe
October 20th, 2018, 07:11
So tested local address and that didn't work either assuming that means my fire wall is blocking the program?
More than likely. There'll be "something" on that computer. What security, anti-virus and anti-malware applications do you run?

blueknight122
October 20th, 2018, 07:37
Mcafee

Trenloe
October 20th, 2018, 07:46
Mcafee
Lots of good information about getting FG connectivity with McAfee here. Read through the whole thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45905-Connection-Issues-after-Following-Compatibility-and-Networking-Guide&p=408615

blueknight122
October 23rd, 2018, 03:33
Thank you everyone with all the messages. The Mcafee post got me the success i was needing you guys are awesome.

rsqdivr
October 31st, 2018, 07:49
Ok, I'm having a similar issue but I've got mcafee turned off. all ports open on purevpn. netstat shows 1802 is listening but no FG connect and canyouseeme fails. Connectivity works on a local lan. I'm trying to connect at a hotel which is why I bought the purevpn with port forwarding. Any ideas?

Connectivity testing at hotel:
Hotel wifi: set to private
Mcafee firewall: turned off
no other security software running
purvpn port-forwarding: all ports open
netstat result: 1802 listening
canyouseeme port 1802: failed
FG running
FG test: failed

rsqdivr
October 31st, 2018, 08:12
update:

tinkered with the purevpn settings and connections more and made a tiny bit of progress. Canyouseeme now shows success on port 1802 scan. But I still can't ever get the connection test in the FG launcher to resolve. It doesn't say failed anymore but it hangs on "in progress".

Trenloe
October 31st, 2018, 10:01
update:

tinkered with the purevpn settings and connections more and made a tiny bit of progress. Canyouseeme now shows success on port 1802 scan. But I still can't ever get the connection test in the FG launcher to resolve. It doesn't say failed anymore but it hangs on "in progress".
- Make sure you start FG after PureVPN has an IP address.
- Check that the external IP address shown by FG is the same as the one reported by canyouseeme.
- Does canyouseeme report a success when FG isn’t running?
- Make sure the PureVPN network connection is set to be a private network.

Myrdin Potter
October 31st, 2018, 10:20
Also, I assume you have the dedicated ip option for Pure VPN as well!

Bidmaron
October 31st, 2018, 12:24
I think he meant IP and not “up”

Myrdin Potter
October 31st, 2018, 12:32
I think he meant IP and not “up”

I fixed autocorrect three times and it still reverted to up ....

Bidmaron
October 31st, 2018, 18:26
Well, if there is anyone who should know about pure vpn it would be myrdin. He is our world traveler who is often in hotels and China

rsqdivr
October 31st, 2018, 22:10
Also, I assume you have the dedicated ip option for Pure VPN as well!

I do not have the dedicated IP option. I saw several posts indicating it wasn't necessary or would work without it. Since I'm still in the U.S. I was hoping to not have to resort to that additional expense.

Myrdin Potter
October 31st, 2018, 22:28
Trenloe’s and my advice has consistently been that you need the dedicated ip option. Occassionaly, if you find a near empty server, you do not need it, but without it you are highly unlikely to be able to get it to work.

I am not aware of anyone saying it is not needed that uses it regularly.

I use the VPN when I travel or am on public internet for privacy reasons and I travel a lot. I just DMed my regular Monday night game in NYC. I have used my phone internet and the vpn to DM while in China and while they were blocking VPN services.

rsqdivr
October 31st, 2018, 22:29
ok. Purevpn asked me to download an app called "listener". It's an executable that will listen on whatever port you tell it. Without that running, I get no open/listening port 1802 on netstat. Canyouseeme fails on 1802. Same conditions as yesterday:

Connectivity testing at hotel:
Hotel wifi: set to private
Mcafee firewall: turned off
Mcafee antivirus: off
no other security software running
purvpn port-forwarding: all ports open
netstat @ 1802: nothing
canyouseeme port 1802: failed

Run "listener" @ port 1802:
netstat @1802= listening
canyouseeme: success (shows @ purevpn IP address)
tracert: 3rd hop looks public
FG shows both external and internal same IP = purevpn IP address
FG test: hangs on "in progress"

rsqdivr
October 31st, 2018, 23:07
Well, I don't know who flipped what switch but I think I may have it working now. As stated before, I had anything security-wise I could think of stripped down to try to get a basic connection. I tried different modes on PureVPN but eventually back to "streaming" mode is what worked. I slowly began tightening the security pieces one-by-one to see at what point the test would fail but this time they didn't. Disconnected all wifi, vpn, etc. and re-established from scratch to be sure and got a successful FG server test. Here are the items I tweaked in my setup in case anyone else has something similar:

PureVPN mode: streaming
- port-forwarding: block all except 1802
Hotel wireless set to private (it seems to revert to public on each session)
Mcafee antivirus
- Added exclusion for purvpn.exe
Mcafee firewall:
- traffic controller: stealth
- Internet connections for programs:
- -- fantasygrounds.exe->designated ports->netguard off
- -- PureVPN->designated ports->netguard off
- -- PureVPNService->designated ports->netguard off
- Ports & system services:
- fantasygrounds TCP port:1802
FG internal and external IP address show as same.
FG connection test: success
canyouseeme only sees open 1802 when FG is actually running (beyond test screen)

If you think I need to tighten up any of those setting further, please feel free to recommend. I'm not sure where the failure point will be (netguard, etc) so I'm scared to touch it now. :-D
Thanks all for the patience.

Myrdin Potter
November 1st, 2018, 00:41
This is without the dedicated IP option?

rsqdivr
November 1st, 2018, 01:37
This is without the dedicated IP option?

correct.

Myrdin Potter
November 1st, 2018, 01:43
My experience in that it will work until someone shares the IP with you and then the NAT cannot figure out who gets what port.

There are several near free to free VPN alternatives. Pure VPN is a high quality commercial VPN with good tech suppprt that works in places like China which is why I recommend it.

daggerfortysix
November 1st, 2018, 04:55
I’m gonna emphasis what Myrdin Potter and others have said. It is necessary to have the dedicated IP adding to your PureVPN account. That will solve all of your problems. I too travel all over and have perfect success using PureVPN with the dedicated IP.

damned
November 1st, 2018, 06:01
You need either:

Port Forwarding
PureVPN’s Port Forwarding add-on provides an added layer of security to stop hackers from exploiting loopholes.

or

Dedicated IP
PureVPN offers dedicated IP add-on for people who want complete control over their online reputation.

https://www.purevpn.com/features

Otherwise it will be hit and miss...

GavinRuneblade
November 1st, 2018, 07:07
My experience in that it will work until someone shares the IP with you and then the NAT cannot figure out who gets what port.

There are several near free to free VPN alternatives. Pure VPN is a high quality commercial VPN with good tech suppprt that works in places like China which is why I recommend it.

I'm going to emphasize the tech support that Myrdin mentions here. Everything else he said is true too. I have been using them for over a year now and their tech support has been incredible. There are free options, but I stay with PureVPN because of their tech support.

Angloson
January 22nd, 2019, 10:12
You need either:

Port Forwarding
PureVPN’s Port Forwarding add-on provides an added layer of security to stop hackers from exploiting loopholes.

or

Dedicated IP
PureVPN offers dedicated IP add-on for people who want complete control over their online reputation.

https://www.purevpn.com/features

Otherwise it will be hit and miss...

HI everyone. I have a question concerning PureVPN.

I have been using Hamachi for a while, but starting a new campaign and making each player download it can be a hassle. Plus, I have a few friends that say Hamachi is vulnerable or sells information that it gets from you. That said, I'm strongly considering PureVPN now. I too, live out of the US and travel to many countries frequently.

Question: Do I need both of the options in the quoted text here, or is a Dedicated IP address (with DDoS) enough?

Thanks,
BTW, I found the "secret" price for a 5 year license, just by waiting a few mintues on the website.

Myrdin Potter
January 22nd, 2019, 10:19
I have just the dedicated IP option and it has consistently worked for years.

Angloson
January 22nd, 2019, 10:34
Great! Thanks Myrdin, I appreciate the quick answer.

damned
January 22nd, 2019, 14:27
HI everyone. I have a question concerning PureVPN.

I have been using Hamachi for a while, but starting a new campaign and making each player download it can be a hassle. Plus, I have a few friends that say Hamachi is vulnerable or sells information that it gets from you. That said, I'm strongly considering PureVPN now. I too, live out of the US and travel to many countries frequently.

Question: Do I need both of the options in the quoted text here, or is a Dedicated IP address (with DDoS) enough?

Thanks,
BTW, I found the "secret" price for a 5 year license, just by waiting a few mintues on the website.

As an aside... I think a Hong Kong / Chinese company is far more likely to be doing stuff with your data than a $4.5billion dollar publicly traded one.

Bidmaron
January 22nd, 2019, 23:49
I use only dedicated IP and it works great.

rsqdivr
January 23rd, 2019, 05:08
I use PureVPN port forwarding and it works fine so far.

Cthulhu1848
February 14th, 2020, 00:35
I started using PureVPN with the dedicated IP add-on (and only this add-on) today and it works without a problem, even for someone with mediocre internet technology knowledge. Was not hard to set up as well, nearly everything was pre-set up as needed.
Had a nice 5-hour D&D session without connection interruptions.

Myrdin Potter
February 14th, 2020, 00:40
What I like about it (aside from just working for FG), is that when you travel and use hotel wifi, you really should be using a VPN for privacy anyways. It also is pretty good at Geo shifting as well. Want to appear to be British to use the BBC Player? Change server and there you are.

I lived in China for about 5 years. When they have their big semi annual meeting, pretty much all VPNs are locked out. Other than those 2 weeks every year, I have had pretty good success with PureVPN.

Because I have used it for years, I feel confident enough to link it in my signature.