PDA

View Full Version : A Game of Thrones

jacook
July 10th, 2006, 23:10
Hello!

I'm a long time DM and avid fan of the series of books A Song of Ice and Fire by GRR Martin. I have the A Game of Thrones d20 book and would love to run a campaign for a small group of players. I'm thinking of maybe 2-4 players. My ideas for timeline, location and characters are completely open.

I'm posting to get an idea of any that would be interested. I would highly prefer people who are familiar with the setting since it's integral to the game. I would like to meet at least every other week to play, preferably once a week.

I could be talked into doing the game with only one player if you're a strong roleplayer.

Lets discuss! :D

Cirondel
July 13th, 2006, 01:45
So you need players who have read A Song of Ice and Fire, or need to have read A Game of Thrones? I'm not familiar with either one. Could you tell the community what sort of flavor campaign you're talking about? I'm available for any sort of game on Sunday, and would be willing to make a regular commitment for some serious gaming.

jacook
July 13th, 2006, 02:04
A Song of Ice and Fire is a Trilogy of three books. A Game of Thrones, A Clask of Kings, A Storm of Swords.

This is a very low fantasy campaign. It has a very historical feel to the game with magic only available at higher levels. Heavy politics, warfare, and roleplaying. Combat is very deadly since it's a heavy modified d20 variant.

I'm completely open on times but I want a small group of players that can COMMITT. I really don't want to give offense here but if you're the type that puts your gaming at the very LAST of your priorities, this group is not for you. I have a wife and kid too, but I dedicate a certain amount of time each week to MY entertainment and nothing interferes with it. I'm looking for like-minded people.

So if you want a long term, in-depth game heavy on roleplaying and with gritty combat, this is for you.

Pellegro
July 13th, 2006, 03:01
I'm not familiar with the backstory but I am interested. I also share your commitment issues ... as a professional with a wife and 3 kids it can be very frustrating to making a game-time commitment only to have it not work out.

I'm a quick learner. Let me know if you decide to open it up to those who aren't familiar with the novels via a PM.

Thanks!

jacook
July 13th, 2006, 03:25
Since there doesn't seem to be many who are familiar I will consider those who are new to the story.

Here are a couple of links for those interested in familiarizing themselves with the books and/or game.

www.westeros.org A great fansite
www.towerofthehand.com I fansite with great resources
https://www.agameofthronesrpg.com/

The last link is to the game publishers site. It appears that the publisher isnt in business anymore but you can still find the game at 3rd party stores/sites.

joeru
July 13th, 2006, 08:29
The last link is to the game publishers site. It appears that the publisher isnt in business anymore but you can still find the game at 3rd party stores/sites.

That said, DO NOT order the game or any products through Guardians of Order's website, but from an independent store. There have been several reports of them not sending products paid for, as of late.

Once again, another system I'd like to play but being on the other side of Atlantic... *groan*

Kalan
July 13th, 2006, 14:10
I could be up for it. I've read the first book, but haven't gotten the last two...but I do have a copy of the game somewhere amongst my collection.

What levels and such are we lookin at? And time frame? I'm only really available weekends (From Friday at around 1600 til about 1800ish on Sundays, Eastern Time)...

jacook
July 13th, 2006, 15:32
Once again, another system I'd like to play but being on the other side of Atlantic... *groan*

Joeru, the game book is available through drivethrurpg.com as a pdf for $30 right now.

Kalan, it's looking like a Sunday morning or afternoon game is shaping up if you're interested.

joeru
July 13th, 2006, 15:47
Joeru, the game book is available through drivethrurpg.com as a pdf for $30 right now.

Kalan, it's looking like a Sunday morning or afternoon game is shaping up if you're interested.

Oh, I have the book. It's just that playing in your game would be pretty hard.

Kalan
July 13th, 2006, 15:53

I should be ok I think :) Afternoonish (after 4pm) would be better, but I can work around pretty much anything so long as I know in advance :)

monkeyjoe
July 13th, 2006, 19:57
I would be up for it. I have read all 4 books, including A Feast for Crows, and am a huge fan of the series. I have considered picking the game up in the past but never got it because I didn't think I would ever find a group to play it. Sunday mornings or afternoons work well for me, assuming you are somewhere close to EST time zone. If I can't find a Midnight game, this would be a close second on my wish list. I might even buy the game if things work out.

jacook
July 14th, 2006, 00:35
Lets carry our discussion to my forums.

Please go here... https://www.shadesofmidnight.net/phpBB2/index.php

You'll see a newly created section labelled 'A Game of Thrones'

I'll meet you there!

I am in central standard time by the way.

Empty1320
July 19th, 2006, 02:18
Huge fan of the books. Have seen the d20 system based on it and it looks interesting. I am willing to play for sure.

My play times would be Any day of the week around 10:30 est. Cant play Thursday or Saturday nights.

jacook
July 19th, 2006, 03:52
Empty, we have room for another if you're interested. See my forum's above for more information.

We are playing Sunday afternoons

trheel
July 19th, 2006, 17:31
I would also be intrested in playing i can commit to a game most any night after 6 or 7 pm est.

jacook
July 19th, 2006, 19:19
Sorry, we're playing on Sunday at 2pm cst

StormHalo
July 25th, 2006, 18:16
I would really have liked to get involved with this game. I recently started my own PbP game using the GoT setting and d20 rules adaptation. I own the massive hardcover book and extremely enthusiastic about Martin's flavorful setting. Unfortunately I work every Sunday and though I am not too sure what the differences are between CST and EST, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't ever be able to make a Sunday game time unless it were to take place after 8pm EST.

Oh well. Good luck with the game and be weary, the Others are watching!

jacook
July 25th, 2006, 22:59
Thanks! We're playing at 2pm CST every other Sunday.

CST is central standard time, you know...that vast area of the country between the 'important' areas of the country?:D ;)