PDA

View Full Version : How to Create Modules & House rules

Lucius13
July 9th, 2006, 16:55
ok, totally newby question, but how do you make modules? How do you make custom house rules? I see a lot of articles discussing the finer points of moding stuff, but I've not seen anything that is a basic guts, how-to guide, or even instructions.

I find the lack of documentation for the program disturbing, as I should be able to look in the instructions of the program and it should show a person the very basics of making a module, or should be part of the interface. I hope they document it more thuroughly in the future as I love the program, its just missing a lot of "basic" instructions.

Any help is appreciated, and thankyou

richvalle
July 9th, 2006, 17:45
Making a module is pretty easy. Making a rule set is not (for me) as it requires mucking with graphics and xml.

To make a moduel:

Start with an empty campaign. Fill it with content: story pages, personalities, images/maps ect. When you are done type 'export 'module' 'module description. For example: export amulet The Wizards Amulet.

This will create a module with the name aumlet and the description The Wizards Amulet.

(BTW, a module is nothing more then a zip file with all the content in it).

Now that you are done you can empty the content out and start again with a new module.

Then when you want to use any of the content in game you can load the module.

Note: you can use modules for more then what the name implies. Some people use them to create towns/villages. When the characters visit that village you load it up. When they are done you unload it.

Hope that helps.

rv

Lucius13
July 10th, 2006, 18:10
I tried entering the info simply as "export" "module" "module description". It did nothing that I saw at all. I even copied verbatum your ( export amulet The Wizards Amulet ) and it didn't do a thing.

I typed it in the chat bar and it merely appeared as dm chat. What do I need to do correctly?

and yes, thankyou for responding this is exactly what I am looking for.

Brent

Griogre
July 10th, 2006, 19:45
Licius13, the syntax is FG's chat window help. Export is a slash command useable by the DM. To see the help file just type / and hit return in the chat window. However the syntax is written in standard syntax style which some may not know. The [] mean optional and so on.

A concrete example from my campaign where I have an Inn as a module:

/export LostLimbInn Lost Limb Inn

So:
/export ModuleFileName Description Displayed In Module List

There are three parts to the command: The command "/export" the first argument "ModuleFileName" and the Second argument "Description Displayed In Module List".
The spaces are crucial as they seperate the command and first arguement, so don't have any spaces in the file name. So you might do your Tomb of Horrors Module like:

/export S1 Tomb of Horrors 3.5

richvalle
July 10th, 2006, 20:19
doh! Sorry... I forgot the /

Lucius13
July 11th, 2006, 02:31
Hey thanks Guys, I appreciate it. I figured it had to be a switch operation or an exterior packing program I wasn't seeing or had downloaded. I finally got it to zip (mod) the adventure, and I'll be posting it soon for free downloads to people.

Its Tomb of Horrors, S1 the old AD&D module, brought to d20 standards.

Thanks for the help... now to get the rest of them done....hehehe

Lucius