PDA

View Full Version : Display only Roll Totals for D&D 5E

Dax Doomslayer
October 16th, 2018, 18:59
Hi Folks,
Is there any option which only displays the roll total without just shutting off the Show GM rolls? I'd prefer not having the group know the total plus or minus on the die roll but am fine with them seeing the total die roll. I'm not seeing a way to do this. Thanks.

Kelrugem
October 16th, 2018, 19:37
Hi :)

I am not sure if I understand you correctly but first turn off the GM rolls (i.e. "Show GM rolls" to off) and then put the option "Chat: Show results to clients" to "On" or "PC" :) You will still see everything, so not only the total value, but the players will only see the totals, but only for things related to a target (e.g. an attack while targeting a player). "On" means every player sees anything with a target and "PC" means they only see rolls with a friendly target (e.g. only the players) :) As far this is how I understand and use it :) See also

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Options

Best wishes,

Kelrugem

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2018, 22:24
Advice to test these types of things is to start a second client, connect to your session and test. It only takes a few extra minutes to get setup and let's you test and understand options in realtime.

Dax Doomslayer
October 16th, 2018, 22:30
Hi Kelrugem,
Thanks for the reply. I think the "Off" for the "Chat: Show GM rolls" may be what I need - thanks!! Another question, I don't want the chat box showing a creature's resistance to certain attacks. For instance, a group attacks a Grick who has Damage resistance vs. bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from non-magical weapons. I don't want the group to see that when they hit the grick with a non-magical weapon, that it says 'resisted'. I'd rather do that via narration then them metagame by looking at the chat box. Is there any way to turn off that type of information? Thanks!!

Kelrugem
October 16th, 2018, 22:54
Hi Kelrugem,
Thanks for the reply. I think the "Off" for the "Chat: Show GM rolls" may be what I need - thanks!! Another question, I don't want the chat box showing a creature's resistance to certain attacks. For instance, a group attacks a Grick who has Damage resistance vs. bludgeoning, piercing and slashing from non-magical weapons. I don't want the group to see that when they hit the grick with a non-magical weapon, that it says 'resisted'. I'd rather do that via narration then them metagame by looking at the chat box. Is there any way to turn off that type of information? Thanks!!

You're welcome :) Sadly I do not know any answer to your second question, only to turn off the results completely but then the players do not see anything anymore. I normally still describe it with words as a GM but I understand your concern that the players are already spoilered by the chat :) Maybe someone more experienced can answer you that :) There may be some extension solving this, but I do not know :)

Moon Wizard
October 16th, 2018, 22:55
There's no way to disable that information unless you also disable the results viewing for players.

Regards,
JPG

Dax Doomslayer
October 16th, 2018, 23:21
Thanks for the responses Kelrugem and Moon Wizard. That's a bummer that there's no way to do this without disabling the results. Thanks again!

LordEntrails
October 16th, 2018, 23:41
I've always figured that after a character has hit a few things with its weapon, it will pretty much know if it did normal damage or not. So allowing the chat to show resisted may precede my narration, but I'm ok with that. Never had a player complain or apparently use the information poorly.

Dax Doomslayer
October 17th, 2018, 00:31
Thanks for that LordEntrails. I'd prefer to kind of 'narrate' that for monsters that the PCs (or players) haven't encountered. However, for some, it's more of a nuisance - I get that. This is just how I'd prefer it and have always played it face to face, but I guess there's no way around it. I definitely don't want to disable the results as that's not fun either so I'll have to live with it...

LordEntrails
October 17th, 2018, 02:49
Thanks for that LordEntrails. I'd prefer to kind of 'narrate' that for monsters that the PCs (or players) haven't encountered. However, for some, it's more of a nuisance - I get that. This is just how I'd prefer it and have always played it face to face, but I guess there's no way around it. I definitely don't want to disable the results as that's not fun either so I'll have to live with it...
At least for now. You can always suggest an enhancement on the wishlist. I don't think this one exists, but take a quick search and add the idea if it's not already there :)
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

Kelrugem
October 17th, 2018, 20:34
Thanks for the responses Kelrugem and Moon Wizard. That's a bummer that there's no way to do this without disabling the results. Thanks again!

You're welcome :o