PDA

View Full Version : Player connection issue

GMSean
October 16th, 2018, 18:35
I've been using FG for over a year now and absolutely love it.

A player has regularly had technical issues staying connected. While this has always been hit or miss with this player, it seems to be getting particularly troublesome as of late.

I am not technically inclined. Put that out there immediately. I am not a total idiot, but let's consider me close.

What I have noticed:

My db file has grown over the course of the game (new files added, so of course), but even when things have been removed (mods or images) there's been no overall reduction in the db size. Would this have any impact?

When I add in custom maps (I tend to utilize Heroic Maps with some graphic alterations) on a medium to low resolution setting, it still causes connection stability issues for this player. (its much worse if the resolution is better on the maps).

When I use large tokens (typically spell effect, but I know that has nothing to really do with it) his connection drops.

As I said, we've been doing this for a year. I've got three other players who have minimal to no issues, so clearly things are working correctly...for the most part. But this one player's issues are becoming a real concern.

Any help and insight is greatly appreciated!

RolePlay
October 16th, 2018, 19:25
This is tough to say, but I feel like 99% of a successful campaign is having a reliable crew.

It seems selfless and noble of you to take this issue to the Forum, but I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering why you and not them?

I'd say this person probably has issues that are specific to his machine/internet provider and would probably need his personal attention.

Trenloe
October 16th, 2018, 20:02
When I add in custom maps (I tend to utilize Heroic Maps with some graphic alterations) on a medium to low resolution setting, it still causes connection stability issues for this player. (its much worse if the resolution is better on the maps).

When I use large tokens (typically spell effect, but I know that has nothing to really do with it) his connection drops.

As I said, we've been doing this for a year. I've got three other players who have minimal to no issues, so clearly things are working correctly...for the most part. But this one player's issues are becoming a real concern.
This all sounds like that player has a less than ideal network. Are they using WiFi? In the past I've had to use a cable network connection, even when I have good WiFi connection (as reported by Windows) when I've been travelling and connecting to rented property WiFi (which I have unique access to). The older network library for Fantasy Grounds is not great at handling packet drops and less reliable networks - which is what sounds like is happening here. Even if this player has no issue surfing the Internet, streaming videos, etc. - they may still have issues when large files are being shared from FG if there are re-transmissions on the connection.

One thing you could ask the player to do when they have issues - look up your IP address (assuming you're the GM) - from the <<click to retrieve>> external field on the FG load campaign screen, or what is detected when the you go to https://www.canyouseeme.org/ and then ask the player to, from a command prompt, ping that IP address. USe ping -t www.xxx.yyy.zzz - where www.xxx.yyy.zzz is your external IP address. Look for packet drops, slow responses, etc..

Bidmaron
October 16th, 2018, 23:54
Do they have a 32 bit OS? If only one player is having problem and it is related to graphics, that could be the problem. Your other players probably have 64 bit OS which means they won’t experience memory problems as quickly as a 32 bit OS will.

Trenloe could give you the tripwire levels of memeory usage on 32 bit OS. He would just need to go to task monitor in windows and see how much memory he is using.

Of course it could be bad connection for them as Trenloe mentioned.

Trenloe
October 17th, 2018, 03:21

What resolution are the maps and tokens you're using that cause issues?

The maximum recommended resolution for maps is 2048x2048 pixels (to keep memory use to an acceptable level) and tokens much less than this.