PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e module creature errors

Kelrugem
October 13th, 2018, 23:07
Hello :)

I am not sure if I am at the correct place, sorry if I write the following in the wrong thread :) We play D&D 3.5 and I have also bought the Complete SRD. The first monsters I were using were werewolves and fire giants and both had some errors in their sheets and I wanted to tell you about it (I already made my own module fixing these stats).

Fire Giants: In both, the Basic and Complete SRD: The critical range of the greatsword is wrong, it has to be 19-20/x2, not only 20/x2 :)
In Complete SRD: The type Giant is missing, not very useful when a dwarf is in the group (+4 AC against giants applied as an effect) :)

Werewolf: Basic SRD: The type is also missing here (Humanoid and shapechanger)
Complete SRD: There is sometimes only the information about humanoids, so the Shapechanger information is missing :)
Both: In the attack entry of the hybrid form of the werewolf lord is only an information about the attack bonus of the bastardsword, the damage is missing :)

I wish you all a nice day :)

Best wishes,

Kelrugem

EDIT: Thanks for moving my post to the correct place :)

EDIT 2: The cloak of resistance and ring of protection and the like with a bonus higher than 2 do not have the correct CL (see Craft prerequisites) :) However, I will not put these into a module, only when there are a lot of other wrong CLs in the items :) (this can be too easily fixed manually)

Kelrugem
October 14th, 2018, 17:22
Would there be any interest in 3.5e modules? I am not sure how many people are still playing it (I found mainly Pathfinder modules and there are often some slightly mini differences) but I can offer to upload my 3.5 modules (monster corrections, spell macros/effects extended (using the Remove extension), automized (prestige) classes (i.e. their abilities added automatically) and so on) :) But I am at the very beginning, so there would be not much at the moment, I guess, but I would update it over the time. The advantage of being at the very beginning would be that I could directly keep an eye on whether someting is allowed to share or not (due to the license issue with 3.5e) :)

EDIT: Here are the modules since someone asked for it :) (at the moment very small, but I will update them)

yeknom
October 15th, 2018, 12:53
Would there be any interest in 3.5e modules? I am not sure how many people are still playing it (I found mainly Pathfinder modules and there are often some slightly mini differences) but I can offer to upload my 3.5 modules (monster corrections, spell macros/effects extended (using the Remove extension), automized (prestige) classes (i.e. their abilities added automatically) and so on) :) But I am at the very beginning, so there would be not much at the moment, I guess, but I would update it over the time. The advantage of being at the very beginning would be that I could directly keep an eye on whether someting is allowed to share or not (due to the license issue with 3.5e) :)

I'd be interested in them being uploaded, I am not sure if it is allowed though.

Trenloe
October 15th, 2018, 13:02
As long as the material uploaded is covered by the OGL, and the appropriate OGL is included in the module, then it's fine to upload it.

The thing to note with 3.5E material is that a lot of the WotC products were not released under the OGL - so you need to check each product to see how it was released. Or, if you're unsure, only release what it is in 3.5E/d20 SRD: https://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Kelrugem
October 15th, 2018, 13:03
I would only upload my changes on the free SRD data but nothing from the licensed materials (like complete adventurer, beholders, mind flayers, Faerūn materials and so on because that would clearly not be allowed by licenses) and also nothing from the complete SRD (this here https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=DGA044) since it is sold here :) As far as I understood everything else is allowed but I also wait first for a probable answer if I am wrong :) (EDIT: Okay, there was already an answer incoming while writing this :D Thanks :) )

At the moment my modules are very small, so not really worth it. But I would update it here from time to time if I find new little mistakes or if I make better spell macros and so on :)

Kelrugem
October 15th, 2018, 13:03
As long as the material uploaded is covered by the OGL, and the appropriate OGL is included in the module, then it's fine to upload it.

The thing to note with 3.5E material is that a lot of the WotC products were not released under the OGL - so you need to check each product to see how it was released. Or, if you're unsure, only release what it is in 3.5E/d20 SRD: https://www.d20srd.org/index.htm

Ah thank you very much :) Then I understood it correctly and I will of course respect that :)

Kelrugem
October 15th, 2018, 14:40
I've now added the modules in the second post :) Please tell me if there are mistakes etc. :) But they are very very small at the moment, I will update them every time when I add something in my private campaign (we just started to go to FG so there might be some updates soon) :)

Kelrugem
November 13th, 2018, 17:35
I just saw in the update from today that the mistakes (I've mentioned) where now updated :) Thanks for that :) I didn't expect that this would be updated and therefore I am positively surprised :) Also the races were now automated fully in the last update (better than my versions because I didn't know what is possible to do in the automation of racial traits); thanks also for that, now I can also improve my races from other books not covered by the SRD because I see what is possible :)

Thus, my module about the corrected monsters and automated races is not needed anymore, I will delete them :) Sorry also that my modules are still so small, I try to keep them updated but my group is using a lot of the stuff outside the SRD which I can not upload. Therefore the modules only increase very slowly in size and also only when I have some ideas how one could "improve" it a bit (and when we are using it in the group, therefore the autmated classes only cover the used classed in my group at the moment). The given data is already too good :D

Trenloe
November 13th, 2018, 19:52
I just saw in the update from today that the mistakes (I've mentioned) where now updated :) Thanks for that :) I didn't expect that this would be updated and therefore I am positively surprised :) Also the races were now automated fully in the last update (better than my versions because I didn't know what is possible to do in the automation of racial traits); thanks also for that, now I can also improve my races from other books not covered by the SRD because I see what is possible :)
Great! Thanks for reporting the problems. Just let us know if there are any other issues you spot.

Thus, my module about the corrected monsters and automated races is not needed anymore, I will delete them :) Sorry also that my modules are still so small, I try to keep them updated but my group is using a lot of the stuff outside the SRD which I can not upload. Therefore the modules only increase very slowly in size and also only when I have some ideas how one could "improve" it a bit (and when we are using it in the group, therefore the autmated classes only cover the used classed in my group at the moment). The given data is already too good :D
No need to say sorry. Anything contributed to the community is very welcome. Thanks for what you post! :)

Kelrugem
November 13th, 2018, 20:12
Thank you :) Yes, sure, I will post it here when I spot something else :)

Kelrugem
November 27th, 2018, 03:28
I now updated it a bit; I realised that one can also automise the caster level increase of spell classes by adding the feature "spells" to classes :) (and this also seemingly calculates the spells per day (with their attribute bonus) for the standard known classes) and by adding "spells per day/spells known" (like in prestige classes) one can automate the spell level increase of an existing spell class (with a window asking for the spell class when one has several) :) You probably know that but I only found that by concidence and so I added that :D (but only some classes at the moment; I still have to transform all data of Roll20 to FG but I didn't had much time :) )

I also added a module with some items with informations about their hardness and hitpoints (at the very bottom of the descriptive text); I add that to any used item in my game (but not done yet) and so by time this module will be bigger at some point. I am not done with all items yet :) (just in case someone wants to use it :) )

I also found some little text mistake: In the racial trait "fearless" of halflings there stands "resistance bonus to fear" but it should be "morale bonus" :) In the main text of halflings this is correct; as I said, only a very little mistake :)

Have a nice day :)

Kelrugem
December 1st, 2018, 04:42
While I now automise the Bard I realized that the automatic Spell completion (of the Bard at least; I mean the number of spells per day) comes from Pathfinder rules which are slightly different than in 3.5 :) So one has to be careful then when one wants to use my module or one owns automation with respect to this :)

Kelrugem
December 10th, 2018, 01:32
Now I've added the bard and the fighter. I also realized that the errata are not in the build-in ruleset, especially the big changes in wild shape and all other shapeshift features/spells due to the errata :) So I changed also the wild shape and "a thousand faces" feature of the druid; when I find time I will also change the texts of the spells :) But I also saw that in 3.3.7 the classes will be automated (thanks! :) ), so I will not have to finish the standard classes given in the 3.5e ruleset of FG :)

Have a nice day :)

Moon Wizard
December 10th, 2018, 22:08
Kelrugem,

I grabbed all the data from d20srd.org, which should mirror the d20 SRD. When you are referring to "errata", where are you getting the errata information from?

Thanks,
JPG

Kelrugem
December 10th, 2018, 22:25
Hi :)

Thanks for your answer :)

I got the errata from here: https://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/errata
Indeed, d20srd.org takes these errata into account, but I observed e.g.: The text about wild shape of the Druid on the Main page states that it works like "Polymorph" while on d20srd stands "Alternate form" (like in the errata), similar things with the other things mentioned, but I didn't check any point yet :) But since I was just checking 3.3.7 I realized that in the features of the Druid (I mean the "Others" tab) it is correctly stated while the main tab still has the wrong formulation :) Since 3.3.6 doesn't have the features of 3.5e automated I could only evaluate the main tab etc. :) So the old formulation of the wild shape etc. only happens in the text information of the main tab.

Thanks again and for your effort :)

Moon Wizard
December 10th, 2018, 22:26
Ah, I didn't update the Main tab, only the Feature text.

I'll probably update to work like the Pathfinder SRD data, where the feature text is not duplicated in the Main text.

JPG

Kelrugem
December 10th, 2018, 22:31
Hehe, okay :) Sorry for the work :) and thanks for the 3.5e updates, I really appreciate that :)

Kelrugem
December 10th, 2018, 23:03
oh, and for completeness: E.g. the spell "Baleful Polymorph" also has the old formulation :) (or it is at least differently formulated)

Kelrugem
December 14th, 2018, 03:10
just saw now that you also added the errata like for Baleful Polymorph in v3.3.7, Moon Wizard :) Thank you very much for that :)

Kelrugem
December 19th, 2018, 15:51

I've found some very little mistake in v3.3.7: The new automated Druid of 3.3.7 does not have automatically "Wild shape (huge)" on lvl 15 and also "wild shape (6/day)" is missing on lvl 18 :) Thus, I will not yet remove my uploaded automated classes, just in case someone wants to use my corrected version (or one shortly copies the Druid and adds these) :)

Thanks again for the work and for adding the errata, I am really happy that I do not have to automate the other base classes :)

Have all a nice week :)

Best,

Kelrugem

Kelrugem
March 15th, 2019, 00:34

Just realised today that the error with the druid was fixed and the spell list for the bard is now correct for 3.5e (and not the one of Pathfinder) :) Thank you very much for that change :) (@Moon Wizard, I guess? :D)

(Sorry for the late "thanks", couldn't play a lot in the last months due to work :) )

Only for completeness: The ranger spells/day are like in pathfinder at the moment but for 3.5e they are normally also there slightly different :) But I do not want to push anyone to change that, I've just realised that and wanted to write that here since I used that thread to mention such things :)

Thanks again :)

Kelrugem