PDA

View Full Version : I just got dumped!!

Travellintroll
October 13th, 2018, 02:06
About two months ago I joined a D&D campaign with a group of people whom I met here on the Fantasy Grounds forum. At first we met online on Discord and we spoke at length to see if we were a good fit. I was honest with them about who I am, my experience, my play style, and my expectations. They talked about it and then welcomed me into their group. I agreed to commit to playing on a bi-weekly basis. I created a character and joined their campaign. We have been playing for just under 2 months and just recently I found out that they are letting me go ... dumping me!

This sucks! I invested myself in my character, role-played to the best of my ability, and got to know a group of people I might have considered friends. I'm devastated!

To be honest, I don't know if I can do this again! Being on the other side of the world, it took my six months to find a group with a game at the right time for me, and who were willing to accept me.

I love D&D and I love Fantasy Grounds but this just sucks!

damned
October 13th, 2018, 03:08
Hey Travellintroll

Dont sweat it - I know its not fun - but it does happen.
Get yourself out there and find another game - sometimes people go through several groups before finding one that matches.
There are not many game slots left but there are plenty of odd spaces at FG Con - https://www.fg-con.com/events - playing in One-Shots allows you to meet more people, more GMs, more Players and this can lead to new opportunities.

Octavious
October 13th, 2018, 03:29
yeah don't worry about it.. maybe you should DM your own game ..I actually have only played 2 sessions as a player myself .. I could never find a game that would accept me .. so I decided to DM instead..My first game of D&D or in fact any rpg game was as a DM using FG . (Lost mines of Phandelver) I took an extra month to kinda learn the rules and FG interface then went for it. Granted DMing may not be for everyone but it does give you the flexibility to determine the time and how you want things to go .. If I can do it ,, anyone can .. give it a try ..

Wintermute
October 13th, 2018, 06:34
Man, that sucks. Don't give up, you'll find a new group. As Damned pointed out, the FG-CON is a great place to meet people. One of my players tonight said that one-shot he played in during the con lead to a year-long campaign with the same people. Give it a shot.

BTW, when are you able to play? I might have an opening in my Monday 5e game (19:00 UTC-4) if your available. We are an established group that just finished a pathfinder adventure path and moving to 5e. We play weekly and starting the Sunless Citadel, then WD:Dragon Heist. Hit me up if your interested and available.

StoryWeaver
October 13th, 2018, 12:45
I'm sorry to hear that, while it does happen that's a rather long time to wait before coming to such a decision. I usually have a 1-3 trial period of no hard feelings, after which I'll try to work with a player if any problems arise after that.

Roleplaying is such a fun hobby and sharing some laughs with friendly people doing so is great. So don't let this discourage you, as the above posters have said it does take time and often a few tries to find a good solid group that fits both you and the other way around.

By the looks of your post I have a feeling you might not be in the same timezone, but I am starting up a short level 1-3 dungeon delve adventure (The Sunless Citadel). If that interests you send me a PM with the application questions filled out and there might be a short adventure with some fun new people for you to play through that with. A fresh start.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46040-LFP-The-Sunless-Citadel-D-amp-D-5e-Saturday-9-pm-(EU)-GMT-UTC-0
(https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46040-LFP-The-Sunless-Citadel-D-amp-D-5e-Saturday-9-pm-(EU)-GMT-UTC-0)

In either case, there will be more games out there and there's lots of great and fun people who share this hobby of ours here, so don't loose heart. :)

shadzar
October 13th, 2018, 21:17
i could suggest some people that have open seats for games but they require you to have a mic because they stream FG games. Twitch has a lot of streamers supported by Fantasy Grounds College (https://fantasygroundscollege.net/), that have tons of games. not to mention maybe FGC will soon have open games after FC-Con is over and they get situated in their new home (website).

TMO
October 14th, 2018, 05:10
I have to be honest and say I've never heard of such a thing happening. Usually the complaint is about flaky DMs or players. Dumping a player after a campaign has started is a new one. Totally uncool. I have to wonder, did this come from the DM or from the group? Were you given any reasons for this severance? Reading your post, you come across as a reasonable, intelligent, committed, and articulate player. As a DM there is very little else I would want!

Valyar
October 14th, 2018, 12:59
This thread is not what I expected when I opened it... :D

dulux-oz
October 14th, 2018, 13:54
This thread is not what I expected when I opened it... :D

Excepting a "Dear John..." style, were we? :)

spoofer
October 14th, 2018, 14:44
What time zone are you? I am looking for a player near GMT+9 (Japan). Sunday evenings 8 to 10:30. 5e DnD. See my recruitment post if interested.

Kevin

Full Bleed
October 16th, 2018, 19:11
You should look at the silver lining: You're now free to find something that will, hopefully, better suit you.

Regardless of how you felt about the game, there must of been some incompatibility that you were, apparently, unaware of.

And while you feel set upon, it is the GM's responsibility to identify such things and not let them interfere with the game they're trying to run. However much time you think you put into the game, the GM likely puts is far more.

If "they" (be it the GM or a plurality of players) didn't feel you were compatible with their game, you probably weren't.

Better that you know the truth rather than have them string you along even longer and punish you in some less honorable way (i.e. make it hard on your character, kill or punish you in game, constantly oppose or ignore your ideas and decisions, etc.)

Travellintroll
October 17th, 2018, 11:25
I am currently living in China.

Well, I was initially told that I was being let go because I recently started running a campaign from the same module, however I stated that I had read the module beforehand when I signed up with them and that I planned to run it as my first campaign as a GM in the future, so it shouldn't have been a surprise. When I brought that up I was told that it was because the player I had replaced was returning, however that does not seem like a reasonable excuse, since a new player was brought on only two weeks ago. It seems more likely now that he was brought on to replace me.

Ironically, my best friend just confessed to me that he has been playing D&D behind my back, because he thought I might be jealous. I told him we are not 'exclusive' so he can play D&D with as many people as he wants, as long as he's protected (always wears armor with a good AC)! LOL

Mgrancey
October 18th, 2018, 00:32
Depends I have had to "dump" a player twice, and I have one I avoid at a local convention that I generally attend. The former were a bad match, brought RL issues into game negatively, and the last personalty just grates on me.

Full Bleed
October 23rd, 2018, 22:58
Well, I was initially told that I was being let go because I recently started running a campaign from the same module, however I stated that I had read the module beforehand when I signed up with them and that I planned to run it as my first campaign as a GM in the future, so it shouldn't have been a surprise.
You did, conveniently, leave this bit of information out of your initial explanation of events... proving, again, that there is always more to these stories.

As a player, I would be annoyed at the fact that another player had been through the adventure we were going through. I only have so much game time and don't need someone spoiling the adventure. There is simply no way for them to not poison the well. Playing an RPG is not a passive experience like watching a movie twice. That said, if a Player divulged that they'd run an adventure before, I'd simply inform the others that I would be looking for a different game (which might cause a whole other issue in the game depending on the pre-existing relationships or roles players are playing, etc.)

And, as a GM, I would never run a player that had been through an adventure I was running. I frequently make changes to adventures that I run--introducing new elements and removing others. I'd feel even more compelled to mix things up for the benefit of one player who would, likely, end up misleading the other players with expectations that were now false.

So, in general, that seems like a legitimate reason to excuse a player from a game.

Have you considered that those that thought it would be "ok" or "gave you the benefit of the doubt" found that it wasn't after a few sessions? More likely than not, though, this was probably just one of several reasons you weren't well-suited for the game.

I hope you've moved on to greener pastures.