PDA

View Full Version : Port Forwaring/Static IP working/not working

Sidmandoo
October 10th, 2018, 20:13
I will be as succinct as I can.

My laptop has FG and passes connection test, no problem.

My PC was not passing the connection test. So with the help of tutorials, I created a static IP, did port fowarding, and I was then able to get successful connection test on my PC.

But then my laptop started to fail the connection.

When I moved back to a dynamic IP, and pulled removed the port forwarding, the laptop started passing the connection test, no problem, and obviously the PC started to fail.

I don't know much/at all about networking. I am guessing I need to do something further to ensure both devices are port forwarding but I am not sure where to begin.

The basic question is, how do I get both devices to work?

Thanks,
Sid

Andraax
October 10th, 2018, 20:33
You can't; a port can be forwarded to only one computer at a time.

Are you planning on GMing from both computers at the same time? The port only needs to be forwarded to the GM's computer.

LordEntrails
October 10th, 2018, 21:16
Think of port forwarding this way, it's a unique address that the postman uses to deliver mail. If you own two apartments in a building (the building is your IP address), only one of those apartments can be numbered "1802". The post man (or pizza man) is not smart enough to know to one time deliver the mail to this apartment, and the next time the other. They only know to deliver it to the one with the "1802" on the door.

Sidmandoo
October 10th, 2018, 23:39
You can't; a port can be forwarded to only one computer at a time.

Are you planning on GMing from both computers at the same time? The port only needs to be forwarded to the GM's computer.

Ah, actually no. I am going to GM from the laptop with my players at a real table with a monitor set up. Those test runs have worked well so far. I thought I needed the connection to work on my PC for any games I might play online as a player. Do I?

Xemit
October 10th, 2018, 23:40
The connection test is a test for a GM to verify they are set up to host the game. This verifies that the port forwarding is working for an incoming connection to the GM.

PCs don't use the port forwarding on their outgoing connection, hence they do not set up port forwarding, nor do they run the connection test.

Sidmandoo
October 10th, 2018, 23:43
Think of port forwarding this way, it's a unique address that the postman uses to deliver mail. If you own two apartments in a building (the building is your IP address), only one of those apartments can be numbered "1802". The post man (or pizza man) is not smart enough to know to one time deliver the mail to this apartment, and the next time the other. They only know to deliver it to the one with the "1802" on the door.

If the pizza man forgot the ranch dressing, would I get a free order of breadsticks?

LOL. Seriously, thanks for that explanation. That makes sense to me, and I appreciate the analogy. I will keep the deliveries to my laptop.

Thanks again,
Sid

Sidmandoo
October 10th, 2018, 23:44
The connection test is a test for a GM to verify they are set up to host the game. This verifies that the port forwarding is working for an incoming connection to the GM.

PCs don't use the port forwarding on their outgoing connection, hence they do not set up port forwarding, nor do they run the connection test.

Thanks Xemit. That makes sense too. I appreciate it. -Sid