PDA

View Full Version : First time connections

esmdev
October 9th, 2018, 17:28
Recently, since the last FG software update, I've been having a weird problem.

The first time a player connects to my campaign I see them disconnect on the game server but they don't see it (for awhile at least). Once they see that they are disconnected they are unable to reconnect to the game server.

I tried restarting the server, and they restart their clients, and that does not fix the problem.

The only way that we can get them reconnected is to reset the routers on both sides. I tried just mine but then they have the same problem. Has to be both sides.

The curious thing is that it generally only happens with the first time connection. After that they can connect just fine and the problem goes away.

We didn't notice except we just started a new game on Sunday and everyone had this problem except my roommate who is on the local network.

I run a pretty minimal 5E game, PHB, DMG, MM, XGE and Elemental Evil Companion. Not sure if they matter but am also running the 14 point clear point font, windows saver and GAP theme.

The problem went away since it only seemed to happen with first time connection to the server but thought Id drop a note on it.

Nylanfs
October 9th, 2018, 18:22
Sounds like a downloading cache issue. Maybe check how many shared images you have and tokens?

LordEntrails
October 9th, 2018, 20:18
Flood protection on the routers. Even though you are not sharing a lot by FG standards, some routers seem that amount of data as a flood attack and block the connection. Resetting the router resets that "limit" and you're then good.

You can go into your router (depending upon model etc) and either disable flood protection, double the limit, or set FG as whitelisted.

damned
October 10th, 2018, 10:11
Yeah - sounds like a firewall tcp flood setting to me...