PDA

View Full Version : Google+ going to be shutdown after data breach

grimm182
October 9th, 2018, 12:20
So, really not happy with this announcement!
G+ is a great way to opt-in to content i was interested in and then have a one stop page for people with very similar interests to share what they thought was cool or useful.

I don't see any other service that will be a good replacement for it, in fact i see this breaking up people into even smaller and more disconnected communities as the current groups each pick their own replacements, which is the wrong way to go this day and age.

This is more of me venting, but would be interested in others thoughts on this.

ddavison
October 9th, 2018, 14:11
I was optimistic when it first came out but their support for it seemed to keep dwindling more and more over time. Our engagement on that platform has become so small that we mostly ignore it now. It takes time to promote a brand on each platform. There are tools that help with this but they generally do a poor job compared to directly working on each platform.

damned
October 9th, 2018, 14:14
Unfortunately G+ has been dying for a long time.
RPGs was one of few interests that managed to sustain some activity...

Ampersandrew
October 9th, 2018, 16:27
Your title says there was a data breach. Google's statement says they found an issues that might have led to a breach but have no evidence that a breach actually occurred.

I don't really do social media, except under duress. So, meh. maybe if they were launching it in the wake of actual data breach scandals at Facebook, they might have got a bit more traction.

LordEntrails
October 9th, 2018, 17:17
I have to agree with others, G+ has been dying for some time. One evidence of this is included in their statement, they made the comment something like '90% of user interactions are less than 5 second in length'.

Which means, among other things, that companies won't bother ti advertise on the platform. Which means Alphabet isn't going to spend money on building it, which they didn't.

It's a bummer for those people that used and liked it.

esmdev
October 9th, 2018, 17:39
Google+ always seemed to be half-hearted attempt at creating a social media community. You almost never hear about it anymore, so they probably figured just go ahead and sunset and forget it.

grimm182
October 9th, 2018, 17:45
Yea, as a major user of a lot of google things, they have a long history of making something i really like and then abandoning it!!! (their original IM, the old news feeds, the old hangouts...etc,etc)
:)

I just dont know WHERE else can i click one link and read all the latest on: FG, Elite, Boardgames, Warhammer, Savage Worlds, Cthulhu & Map Making!!
Well i just became less productive at work hahah

Ken L
October 9th, 2018, 21:55
G+ has been dead for awhile. Google has been dragging its corpse along for longer than it should. On the brightside, much of its technology has been harvested or revamped and improved for its other services.

Welcome to tech.