PDA

View Full Version : Dual Router Port Forwarding Help

Phangos
October 9th, 2018, 00:23
Hi,

Is anybody able to step into a teamspeak server to help my friend with his dual router port forwarding? We're not able to get a connection to start his game.

He is able to connect to mine.

esmdev
October 9th, 2018, 01:39
Sorry, no teamspeak.

I found the most reliable way is to have the internal router and PC on static IP addresses, not DHCP.

Then forward the port on the external router to the internal router's static address.

Then forward the port on the internal router to the PC static address.

I've found that my players connect more reliably when I don't use FG's uPnP.

Nylanfs
October 9th, 2018, 02:01
You have to forward from ISP to 1st router IP Address, then forward to 2nd router IP Address, then to computer IP address.

damned
October 9th, 2018, 04:39
Holler if you need help still...

Bidmaron
October 9th, 2018, 05:00
It is better if you set one of the routers to bridge mode. I am not sure why a home user would ever need two routers both doing internal ip assignments. Sounds like a recipe for many problems.

esmdev
October 9th, 2018, 17:16
In my case it's just a legacy from 20 years ago when the ISP didn't really want to give you access to the router so it was easier to just plug my own router into their router. While periodically I've updated one router or the other, it just became the norm for me. It actually works just fine, never really had a problem with it.

Bidmaron
October 9th, 2018, 17:25
Esmdev, are you the friend with dual routers that needs help? I am at work 9-10 hours a day and cannot help much in that time and I am not necessarily a networks expert. We will need a tracert like you have seen in the other thread but I don’t feel comfortable taking on a two router setup. I have that but I have my isp-provided as a bridge and my Apple time capsule does all the routing

esmdev
October 9th, 2018, 17:35
No, I'm not. I was just answering the question as to why someone might have a two router home setup. For the most part, my FG works just fine with my two-router configuration.

I've got a pretty good handle on network configurations, been doing it since the mid-90s. :)

Phangos
October 10th, 2018, 01:12
So I went over to my friend's place today and changed his one router (and unplugged the other). His modem/router would not save a port forwarding profile, so I had him call support. They're gonna have to figure out why it keeps deleting it.