PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation Question

Creakinator
October 8th, 2018, 03:02
I found FG this week through a reddit LFG game that I joined. Fell in love with it in making my first character with the drag and drop of everything. I used Roll20 to do to create characters to use in my real life games and was very frustrated with it - making characters was still hit and miss and a lot of work on my end.

Here is my past scenario. When I played in person games, I would make my character in Roll20 and get it all ready to play with weapons, abilities etc. Get to my gaming place, open up the browser on my chromebookc and play my character from the Roll20 browser screen. i clicked for all my dice rolls for a weapons, damage, checks and so on. It made my game playing so much easier I didn't have to look at a character sheet, go "roll 20, add my CHA, add my prof bonus' and so on. I also would use Roll20 to make characters and play with their stats before I joined a game to see what I wanted to play. The DM/GM could always look at my dice history to see I wasn't fudging on any rolls. Also real dice hate me - in one game I was the consistent 1 roller - no matter how many times I used a different dice set. Using roll20 made the dice rolls better for my characters.

So this is what I would like to do and wanted to see if this is possible. Buy the standard edition - I see it's on sale for the next few hours. Using the standard edition, can I make characters that are on the laptop I will take with me (I don't think my Chromebook will work for this), but not connected to anyone's games? Then when I get to my playing location, open up FG, open up the character sheet and play as normal for the rolls and all? Can I do an attack, do damage roll, casts spells, run skill checks and so on without having the targets and all? Do I need to create a 'game' to make a character?

Also if I'm joining another game on FG, can I make my character in my 'game' where I can fuss with it, then export it and import it into the other game?

Thank you.

Christy

damned
October 8th, 2018, 03:50
Hey Christy

Yes you can do all of that. You can even roll 1s if you like too :)
It can run on a Chromebook (might need a manual wineskin install) providing the CPU is reasonable and you have 4GB+ RAM.

Creakinator
October 8th, 2018, 05:12
Thank you! I was able to follow these directions https://www.guidingtech.com/28649/chrome-remote-desktop/ to connect to my home computer using Chrome Remote Desktop. I was able to access FG just like I was on my computer. Hurrah! I'll take my chromebook into work tomorrow and see how it works from there.

Update - tried the process from work through my Chromebook and even thru their pokey guest account, it worked well.

Thanks again!