PDA

View Full Version : Custom class feature actions

Quisley
October 6th, 2018, 21:46
Hello all, new user here.

I've been searching around to see if this is possible, forgive me if this question has been answered.
Many official class features have actions built in, so if for instance Sneak Attack or Second Wind is dragged to the Actions tab the action/effect shows up automatically. I want to know if this is possible to do with a custom, GM-created class.

I'm also not sure how to mark a class's spellcasting status (progression and Pact Magic) either. I know all of these can be done manually during character creation but I'd prefer to make it a little more turnkey for players. I'm also trying to figure out how to add a custom Source for spells - do I need to make a copy of each spell and edit it, or is there an easier way to build a custom list?

Thanks for any help anyone's able to provide.

Zacchaeus
October 6th, 2018, 22:01
Hi Quisley welcome to FG.

Here's a link to some videos (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvtWYj3HpGj6aninQHnV7ZYH4fHpLg42I) which might help you.

Basically if you follow the same wording for things like sneak attack etc then they should work in your own class. FG picks up on certain phrases and translates those into effects, so you just have to play about a bit to see what works.

For spellcasting all you need is the Spellcasting ability somewhere in the class. The level at which spells first appears determines how many slots and at what level the class gets them. So for a full caster such as Wizard, Cleric etc then your spellcasting ability should come in at level 1. For a half caster such as a paladin the Spellcasting comes in at level 2 and for a 1/3rd caster the Spellcasting comes in at level 3, usually in an archetype such as the Arcane Trickster or Eldritch Knight.

For Pact Magic again FG knows all about it and all you need is an ability called Pact Magic and it will know how many slots and at whet level the magic user gets them.

For spells you will need to edit the spells that the class gets by adding the class to the 'Source' box of each spell that the class can use. Then export the spells into a module. Players should then be able to use the filters at the bottom of the spells dialog to see the spells they get and at what level

Quisley
October 6th, 2018, 23:49
Thanks for the clarification on how the features are interpreted - I had thought that the effect details were 'saved' to the class rather than part of FG. Just means I'm going to have to edit those actions on the character sheet rather than in the class, which is no huge deal. The videos help a lot! I've been so pleased with how much support there is here, very glad of my purchase.