PDA

View Full Version : Unable to connect to friend, worked fine last week.

Dunnbar
October 6th, 2018, 04:37
Our DM just recently picked up fantasy grounds to start a game with some friends. 2 weeks ago we all got on (6-8 of us) and rolled characters perfectly fine. This week we tried to connect and everyone was able to connect except for me and my brother, both on the same network. We messed with it for 2 hours or so and couldn't figure it out. The error is "Network Notice: Client unable to connect to host - Could not connect to the host. Check your network settings and verify the host address, then try again." We forwarded our ports and everyone was able to join OUR game, including the DM whose game we can not join(neither of us were the DM, we were just testing it) and we were able to join anyone else's game who was able to port forward except the DM's. We even tried both us, and the dm turning on DMZ and it still wouldn't work.

I'm losing it here. Networks drive me nuts.

damned
October 6th, 2018, 04:47
Hey Dunnbar thats no fun.

One thing to check would be to do a tracert to the GMs IP and have them tracert to your IP and get a player who can connect to also tracert to the GM IP and comare the hops.
Your ISP may have some wonky temporary route happening.
With two connections coming from your IP the GMs router may have some firewall that kicked in on the extra connections/traffic and maybe a tcp flood rule got triggered - try rebooting your router until you get a different WAN address and then connect one at a time?
Otherwise you might have the GM setup a Hamachi or ZeroTier network in the short erm that you can connect to...

Dunnbar
October 6th, 2018, 04:53
The thing about the Tracert to the DM was that all of us who tried it, none of us were able to get all the way to him and most of us dropped at the same IP address before we started dropping. Yet he is able to tracert US fine.

We tried rebooting our router multiple times, and reset our modem on xfinitys side.

DM rebooted his router multiple times as well

We have yet to try Hamachi.

Dunnbar
October 6th, 2018, 05:07
Hamachi worked but TBH I really would like to find the fix so we don't have to use that.

damned
October 6th, 2018, 05:22
The thing about the Tracert to the DM was that all of us who tried it, none of us were able to get all the way to him and most of us dropped at the same IP address before we started dropping. Yet he is able to tracert US fine.

We tried rebooting our router multiple times, and reset our modem on xfinitys side.

DM rebooted his router multiple times as well

We have yet to try Hamachi.

If you all drop at the same point its probably not a routing issue.
Many routers do not reply to ping/tracert so it is sometimes only useful to a point.

The point for the reboot at your end was to try and get a different WAN IP - were you able to determine if you did get a different IP? This was in case it was a dynamic firewall rule blocking you.

Hamachi worked but TBH I really would like to find the fix so we don't have to use that.

Yes - I suspect that at some point whatever networking issue is occurring will resolve itself based on the number of successful test scenarios that you have done. The Hamachi was only suggested to get you going for today.
I have on occasion had a single player who cannot connect to my session (usually the same player) but he can connect to my VPN address while all the others are on my standard connection.