PDA

View Full Version : Extract Resources from Adventures?

ScottUlmer
October 5th, 2018, 20:39
Is there a way I can get resources from adventures? I have a few old campaigns and want their images, tables, items, etc., but without the book contents. There are a lot of cool images and items from them that I might want to use in another game, but I do not want to load the modules every time as it has a bunch of stuff I don't want (IE encounters, story, parcels).

Side question is there a way to delete repeated items? I have a lot of supplements and don't need the DM guide, players handbook, SRD data, and campaign to list the same exact item, with the same exact text multiple times.

Nylanfs
October 5th, 2018, 23:45
Welcome to the forums and FG Community, everything is stored in your campaign folderon your computer, images, tokens etc. If they aren't in the adventure module they will be there.

Zacchaeus
October 6th, 2018, 00:05
Hi ScottUlmir welcome to FG.

The answer depends on where you are talking about stuff which you created yourself or stuff from official adventure modules. If you created images yourself you can export those as a module and use that in any campaign. You can’t however extract images from any adventure modules in the same way, so if you want to use those you’ll need the module to be open.

If you have the PHB you don’t also need the SRD open since everything is in the PHB and it is the better resource anyway. You can use the filters at the top and bottom of the items, NPCs, Spells etc dialogs to cut down on the duplication. You can’t really do anything about that other than close any unneeded modules.

LordEntrails
October 6th, 2018, 00:09
So it depend on what resources you mean
If you are talking images from official DLC, no, you can only access them by loading the module as they are copy protected
Most everything else can be copied and exported into your own module.

As for duplicates just unload things like the STF so you don't have duplicate data. If you have the PHB, MM and DMG, the I is no reason to load any of the SRD modules
In general, only load what you need, not everything you habe.

I'm sure you still have questions, just try to give us some more detail and screen shots so we can be more specific.

Bidmaron
October 6th, 2018, 02:10
Screenshots of images are the way to go if it is copyright material. However you cannot redistribute those even for free. But you can personally use them in your own games.

ScottUlmer
October 6th, 2018, 03:13
No you guys answered my question, I wanted to "scrape" the images from LMoP for example. My second issue is for example that the DM and PH and a few other modules might have the same item (IE short sword) and they are the same thing. I just want 1 version of it. Sounds like that is not an option. Thanks guys.

damned
October 6th, 2018, 04:41
Hi ScottUlmer not exactly answering your question but all the Wizards modules have plenty of fan created maps available by search.
You may find some of these might suit your needs.

LordEntrails
October 7th, 2018, 01:45
No you guys answered my question, I wanted to "scrape" the images from LMoP for example. My second issue is for example that the DM and PH and a few other modules might have the same item (IE short sword) and they are the same thing. I just want 1 version of it. Sounds like that is not an option. Thanks guys.
A lot of items appear to have two copies of everything, but if you filter for non-template items, you will find that their really is only one.

Zacchaeus
October 7th, 2018, 11:12
A lot of items appear to have two copies of everything, but if you filter for non-template items, you will find that their really is only one.

Not quite. If you have the DMG, PHB and Lost Mine open your are likely to see at least three shortswords and 1 shortsword templete. The latter is used with the Forge to create new magic items.

The DMG includes more or less the same equipment items as the PHB does because it uses those items to create magic versions of those items. All adventure modules which require a shortsword either in a treasure parcel or for the creation of new magic items will also contain one. Thus if you have a lot of modules open you will potentially have a great many duplicate items. The only way to reduce this duplication is to use the filter at the top of the item dialog. Selecting the PHB there for example will show only items found in the PHB.

ScottUlmer
October 8th, 2018, 18:17
Thank you guys very much, you have been very helpful.