PDA

View Full Version : Using Fantasy Grounds alongside a 2nd VTT

The High Druid
October 5th, 2018, 12:41
Wasn't quite certain whether to go with The Tavern or The Commons for this . . .

I am sort-of-ish thinking about using a 2nd VTT alongside Fantasy Grounds, largely because of screen real-estate issues. What I want most is to be able to have the map full-screen on one monitor and all the housekeeping stuff on another (having a map window that is independent of the tabletop would be more than worth buying the software again). Unfortunately the current solution - stretching the FG window across the monitors - is a horribly frustrating experience as none of my monitors have the same physical size or resolution. This leads to window stretches that either leave gaps (very annoying) or hide part of the FG interface - hot buttons lost below the bottom of one screen, or the combat tracker and party buttons lost above the top of the other.

I am contemplating putting the maps and tokens in an entirely separate program. If I do this the combat tracker would no longer be connected to the map, so no ctrl-click targeting, no dropping attacks and damage on an enemy etc. etc. But, you could still do those things through the combat tracker.

So, what I wanted to ask is has anyone else tried anything similar? If so, how well did it work? What unexpected complications cropped up? Was it worth the extra effort of setting up two tables? What have I not thought of?

damned
October 5th, 2018, 13:03
A new monitor would probably cost the same as another VTT...

The High Druid
October 5th, 2018, 13:19
*Two new monitors.

Finding a matching one to any of these three is not a practical solution (our old 32" TV, a 12+year-old 24" dell, and a 21" unknown brand donated by wife's brother) can't really justify buying new ones (financially or environmentally) when all three are currently functioning (the dell is starting to misbehave a little). And when you only want to display maps and tokens, quite a few of the free vtt options would seem to be viable. I considered running two instances of FG as I have another license available, but then there's client licences to consider plus I only have one functioning computer these days (the second was cannibalised to get the first working again).

Trenloe
October 5th, 2018, 13:31
I feel that you're going to have more issues running 2 VTT's (data sync, losing functionality, players having to use an additional interface, etc., etc.).

You'll know how much of the functionality you use in FG, and so can make an estimate of what you're going to lose - and if this is worth improving your screen real estate, or not.

Plus, you need to consider your players - do any of them have multiple monitors? Or do any of them sometimes game when on the road? Someone using a laptop or a single monitor is not going to appreciate having to now use 2 different applications competing for their limited screen space.

The High Druid
October 5th, 2018, 13:55
I feel that you're going to have more issues running 2 VTT's (data sync, losing functionality, players having to use an additional interface, etc., etc.).

If it's only maps and tokens, interface shouldn't (hopefully) be an issue as I imagine moving the token on a map with the mouse is a fairly universal experience. There also shouldn't be any need to replicate data between the two programs.

You'll know how much of the functionality you use in FG, and so can make an estimate of what you're going to lose - and if this is worth improving your screen real estate, or not.

This is why I am asking if anyone else has tried it - the things I haven't thought of may tip the balance.

Plus, you need to consider your players - do any of them have multiple monitors? Or do any of them sometimes game when on the road? Someone using a laptop or a single monitor is not going to appreciate having to now use 2 different applications competing for their limited screen space.

Already covered. All the current players have at least 2 monitors. We potentially have a new player joining with a laptop at some point in the near future, but her husband already plans to display the maps on their TV for them to share - this might actually make things easier for them.

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2018, 17:44
Do all your players have 2 monitors? Because if they don't they are going to have a horrible time trying to run FG and another VTT on one monitor.

Ken L
October 5th, 2018, 22:12
FG in general doesn't handle window management well. I've been working on a new theme that pretty much nukes the sidebar and over-sized chat window from orbit to occupy at most 1/6th or less of the screen combined. It least more space for other things.. like the map to occupy 70 % of the screen. Next on my docket is to shrink the CT on the host side to something more manageable.

gamerhawaii
October 5th, 2018, 22:15
This does not address your question directly but I used to struggle with not enough screen space. However, the hot keys at the bottom make everything so quick to bring back up, no need to have everything open at once.

That is, whatever does not need to be on your screen right that second (usually the map, often the combat tracker, definitely not the party sheet, etc.) can be closed. If you have saved them as a hotkey, you can bring them back up almost instantly. Therefore, no need to have them all open all at once.

As a DM, I pre-assign items like maps, player handouts, stories, encounters, etc. to the hotkeys before the session starts. Then during the session, I can open and close the windows I need in a flash. Works great using only one monitor.

The key for me was realizing I really did not need all those windows open at the same time as long as I could recall them in a heartbeat.

damned
October 6th, 2018, 01:42
This does not address your question directly but I used to struggle with not enough screen space. However, the hot keys at the bottom make everything so quick to bring back up, no need to have everything open at once.

That is, whatever does not need to be on your screen right that second (usually the map, often the combat tracker, definitely not the party sheet, etc.) can be closed. If you have saved them as a hotkey, you can bring them back up almost instantly. Therefore, no need to have them all open all at once.

As a DM, I pre-assign items like maps, player handouts, stories, encounters, etc. to the hotkeys before the session starts. Then during the session, I can open and close the windows I need in a flash. Works great using only one monitor.

The key for me was realizing I really did not need all those windows open at the same time as long as I could recall them in a heartbeat.

That is what I do too.
Use it close it.
If I need it again - open it again.

Dax Doomslayer
October 6th, 2018, 01:49
That's how I've actually evolved doing this. One of the first things I do is drag the maps I'll be using the most into my hotkeys. I absolutely love FG but I'd say probably the only thing about FG that does drive me batty is that I need more screen space. A 34" monitor is something I've been thinking about - lol!

Nylanfs
October 6th, 2018, 02:25
<cough> https://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/03/4388295418_4f0db62357_b.jpg <cough>

Andraax
October 6th, 2018, 03:59
Where'd you find a picture of my office?

The High Druid
October 6th, 2018, 07:43
Thanks everyone. I already do the hotbar trick with maps and story entries to try and make the swapping as efficient as possible. Though part of the issue there is I haven't found a way to add character sheets and the combat tracker to the hotbars

The point is more this: one of the reasons I prefer Fantasy Grounds over other options because of the interface: it gives more of a feel of a feeling of sitting round a table that the other options. But part of that feeling of sitting round the table isn't making the map vanish every few minutes when you need to look at your character sheet, or check a spell from the book . . . when you're at your table you set the map up in the middle and it's there for the night. I want to retain the "sat round the table" feeling as much as possible, and I am finding the "window dance" spoils it somewhat.

damned
October 6th, 2018, 08:34
Character Sheets can add to the hotbar.
Drag the portrait to the Hotbar.
The CT has a one click button already - it doesnt need a hotbar link.

There is no simple answer to your challenge.
The screen can only hold so much information on top at any one time.

The available solutions have already been suggested to you.

The High Druid
October 6th, 2018, 12:14
Drag the portrait to the Hotbar.
That's one of those "duh" things I should have figured for myself. "No Dragon, no drag" was in my mind there.

The CT has a one click button already - it doesnt need a hotbar link.
I find, more often than not, that button is covered up by another window or off-screen and invisible (see above regarding window stretching).

The available solutions have already been suggested to you.
Again thank you, and it is appreciated. However I wasn't really asking for suggestions, I was asking if anyone else had tried a similar idea, and how well it worked / what issues they came across. Clearly it's not a popular idea.

dulux-oz
October 6th, 2018, 12:53
<cough> https://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/4/2010/03/4388295418_4f0db62357_b.jpg <cough>

That's my dream office - I'm part way there :p