PDA

View Full Version : Virtual tabletop... Who can control the characters

Quarteg
October 4th, 2018, 21:13
I recently migrated from a platform where you would Roll20 *cough* and there was a feature on that program I was wondering if FG has.

I built a gaming table, TV and all, and I have between 6 - 8 players almost always guaranteed, and sometimes even more.

So my question is, can I set it up to where the players can just pass the mouse around to move their own character, or do I, as DM, have to do all the PC movements?

Are the players required to have their own computer or laptop to play during each session even though I have a tabletop?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find it anywhere on the site or on Youtube.

LordEntrails
October 4th, 2018, 21:40
You can mention Roll20 here all you want, we just ask that you do so in a civil manner.

Yes you can do what you want. There are several ways to do it, Sure, you can pass the mouse around. Does your game table have it's own computer or does it share with your DM computer?

If it's it's own computer, you just start a session of FG on it and "claim" all the PC's, then you can pass the mouse (and wireless keyboard?) around or just have one player do it.

You might want this extension, but you will want to read through some of the ideas in the thread; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33834-Map-resize-to-TV-resolution-for-Face-To-Face-games

Quarteg
October 4th, 2018, 21:50
That's good to know. The funny thing is, I was looking up something completely different that had nothing to do with this and someone responded with most of what you said. LOL

I've used Roll20 for over a year and a half, so I will definitely be leaning on the forums, FAQ, and Youtube videos to get me through this. Cody at Taking20 is one of my favorites to watch and is making this a very fun experience.

I'm quite sure I will be very happy with the transition. Thanks for replying so quickly. :-)

Nylanfs
October 4th, 2018, 22:14
Also welcome to the forums and FG Community!

LordEntrails
October 4th, 2018, 22:26
Also welcome to the forums and FG Community!
Doh! Shame on me. Thanks for doing what I forgot.

Quarteg
October 4th, 2018, 22:48
Thanks for the welcome! :-)

Myrdin Potter
October 4th, 2018, 23:18
Really up to you. One mouse and pass it around or each has a laptop and logs in or a mix.

Patou
October 4th, 2018, 23:24

Here's what I do with FG every second Friday. One DM laptop and one Player Group laptop with 6 characters on it. I love it!

Skillkoil
October 5th, 2018, 06:21
Welcome to the forums! If you ever need live help with using anything within fantasy grounds you can click on the FG College link in my signature. We also teach classes on different aspects of FG and different rulesets. Welcome to the community!

valeros
October 5th, 2018, 06:26
You could try this which lets the players move their token and roll dice from their phone/tablet:
www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45911

Quarteg
October 6th, 2018, 01:31
Thank you. I'll take you up on that sometime.