PDA

View Full Version : Silly question about icons in Fantasy Grounds

bhoins
June 28th, 2006, 23:59
What is the ideal size, in pixels, for person sized icons in Fantasy Grounds? (Both the character portrait and on the map please.) I had a couple of interesting thoughts. :)

Thanks
Bruce

Cantstanzya
June 29th, 2006, 00:52
What is the ideal size, in pixels, for person sized icons in Fantasy Grounds? (Both the character portrait and on the map please.) I had a couple of interesting thoughts. :)

Thanks
BruceIt has been unofficially agreed upon that 50x50 is the standard size.

richvalle
June 29th, 2006, 01:51
I use 50x50 for Med sized tokens on the map and... 63x63 for portrats.

rv

bhoins
June 29th, 2006, 02:04
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

richvalle
June 29th, 2006, 02:38
Thats what we are here for. :)

rv

Griogre
June 29th, 2006, 20:28
*shrug* I use 32 pixels for medium but most here use 50. It boils to how many map squares you wish to see at once vs how "pretty" you want your tokens to look. The default round letter tokens are 16 pixels.

DarkStar
June 29th, 2006, 20:43
I also use 63x63 for portraits (those are scaled, though) and 50x50 for tokens.

bhoins
June 29th, 2006, 21:00
So the general consensus is 50x50 for people. If a person is 50x50, How big is a Dragon? :)

Griogre
June 29th, 2006, 21:23
At 50x50 for medium a Great Wyrm would be 6 squares by 6 squares or 300x300. This is a good deal of your map on 1024x768 the default FG screen resolution, especially when you consider a creature of this size normally has 20' reach, so they control an 8x8 square.

On the 32x32 size I use for medium they it would be 192x192.

I didn't mentioned it above, butas Darkstar says, the default portrait size in the game is 63x63. I personally use 64x64 because that makes my tokens exactly half the size of the portraits.

kalmarjan
June 29th, 2006, 21:56
With the introduction to the zooming effect, all that matters is that the token is recognizable.

The 50 px standard was agreed upon before the zoom function was added.

We are patiently awaiting a fix for the token box that would give thumbnails of tokens, as the aforementioned 300 x 300 px dragon looks weird as it overruns the token box, needing a seperate bag if there are more than 2 tokens of the same size.

Short answer, use any resolution that you like, just account for the zooming function, and you would be fine.

Sandeman

bhoins
June 29th, 2006, 23:33
You see I am used to Klooge. And in that I tend to use 800x800 icons. Then you designate how big they are in feet or meters on the map, and they show up at the right scale. It may seem like lots of resolution until you zoom alll the way in. (And both the players and the GM have that choice, independently.) Once you zoom in the detail shows. Otherwise the icons look jaggy.

I was just trying to decide on a couple of things. The first is the difference. The second is if there would possibly be a market for such things. Apparently Four Ugly Monsters is selling some. Since I now own 4 of the RPG systems and have lots of icons and the capability to create more, I was curious what the standard was here. (GRiP and ScreenMonkey both use 32x32.) kLoOgE only cares in as much as larger icons eat up bandwidth. :)

heruca
June 30th, 2006, 00:24
If you plan on making tokens, and would like for them to be compatible with all the virtual tabletops (to broaden the potential market), I suggest you make them large, and then rescale them as needed for each program. Will you be making PNGs? I'd be curious to see a sample of your work.

I definitely think there's a market for this sort of thing, as Devinnight has proved. And if you feel like doing something slightly different, consider providing tokens in various poses (idle, fighting, sitting, prone/dead, riding, etc.).

bhoins
June 30th, 2006, 00:36
That is about what I was thinking. Properly scaled for each system. Though GRiP using .ico and 5 pictures per icon, is annoying. Otherwise I think png would be best.

bhoins
June 30th, 2006, 01:23
If you plan on making tokens, and would like for them to be compatible with all the virtual tabletops (to broaden the potential market), I suggest you make them large, and then rescale them as needed for each program. Will you be making PNGs? I'd be curious to see a sample of your work.

I definitely think there's a market for this sort of thing, as Devinnight has proved. And if you feel like doing something slightly different, consider providing tokens in various poses (idle, fighting, sitting, prone/dead, riding, etc.).

A Sample. Sure. What do you want? Front view, side view and/or top view at what resolution? What type of game? What are the basic characteristics of your character you want done?

heruca
June 30th, 2006, 03:39
I mostly prefer top view, but if you're doing them with a 3D app like Poser, it's neat to also have a front view (larger) to use as a character portrait. Preferably saved as a PNG with transparency so that you can overlay it on any background picture.

Make whatever you want. I'm not picky. A medieval guard/soldier or an innkeeper might be useful, I suppose.

bhoins
July 1st, 2006, 01:36
OK. Tavern Owner sample.

Switching to JPEGs for our purposes here, though I definitely prefer png for actual use. Comments are welcome. (I threw these together. in the 800x800 top view I noticed when I posted it here that the mugs are a little off.)

From the front 800x800. Suitable for character portraits, or use with a system that uses front views for icons with lots of bandwidth.
https://www.geocities.com/bhoins/Tavern_Owner.jpg

Token (128x128)
https://www.geocities.com/bhoins/Tavern_Owner_Face.jpg

From the top. (800x800)
https://www.geocities.com/bhoins/Tavern_Owner_Top.jpg

And the 50x50 from the top.
https://www.geocities.com/bhoins/Tavern_Owner_Top-50.jpg

heruca
July 1st, 2006, 06:12
Sorry, none of those links work for me. Could you please email them to heruca at mac dot com, if you can't fix the links?

bhoins
July 1st, 2006, 06:25
Well crap. I guess it is more difficult to post a png than I thought. Sorry about that.
I'll see what I can do. In the mean time I will email them to you.
Bruce

tdwyer11b
July 1st, 2006, 07:19
I'd use imageshack, its easier. Or google image hosting, plenty of options then.

bhoins
July 1st, 2006, 12:56
I'd use imageshack, its easier. Or google image hosting, plenty of options then.

I stuck them in my yahoo briefcase. Everywhere else I tried would only let me upload jpegs. :(

GMBazUK
July 1st, 2006, 20:47
Hey very nice.

Looks like you got it sorted.
Not too complicated a model for the smaller top down view.

Ive created a few of my own tokens ala FUG, and have found that if you over complicate the model, it looks a little messy or confusing when you make them smaller. At least thats what FUG have done I think.

Baz.

bhoins
July 1st, 2006, 22:46
In all fairness they are jpgs to post them here. :) So they actually have white instead of transparent backgrounds. But thanks.

heruca
July 14th, 2006, 14:37
bhoins, are you still working on these? Making any progress?

bhoins
July 14th, 2006, 14:43
Progress? Well I am considering looking for a brokering agreement. But what did you have in mind in terms of progress? I still can't get png to show up here. :)

heruca
July 14th, 2006, 17:55
I guess I was just wondering if you were still working on creating tokens, or if you'd given up on the idea.

bhoins
July 14th, 2006, 21:07
Well it is a hobby, not my full time job, but yes, as soon as I find the right outlet for it, the plan is to release several series of tokens. Probably for BG, FG, kLoOge.Werks, SM and possibly GRiP. As well as do commission work for custom tokens.

:)

Bruce

heruca
July 14th, 2006, 22:05
Gametable, MapTool, OpenRPG, WebRPG, and ViewingDale are other potential markets for such tokens. Just create them at fairly high resolution, then scale them down as appropriate for each toolset.

Offering custom tokens is a good idea.