PDA

View Full Version : Random number in an effect.

BruceDM
October 2nd, 2018, 23:12
I want to generate a different random DC every time a specific effect is placed on a unit. Been fiddling with if for a bit but unable to get anything desirable. Anyone have any ideas?

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2018, 23:19
I'm not sure what you are looking to do since you can't place a DC on a unit. A DC is built into an effect that is created in the actions tab. It can be automated to run off the ability score or you can override that and make it a fixed DC. The only way therefore to have multiple DCs would be to create multiple save effects each with a different DC; then roll to see which one is to be used.

BruceDM
October 2nd, 2018, 23:29
The end result is I'm trying to make a Fumble table. An effect from the table lasts until a successful save is made with a DC of 5+2d6. I want to be able to quickly apply the effect to the target, not have to type the effect out every time. My solution for the large number of effects (4 fumble tables, 40-50 results each) was to create a PC with all of the effects in the actions (powers) tab and then drag the one generated from the crit table.

LordEntrails
October 3rd, 2018, 01:33
I think you are going to have to make a fumble table with a unique entry for each DC you want.

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2018, 11:12
I think you'll have an easier time if you just make the effect last for a specified period of time, like until the end of the turn or maybe a minute or something like that. It's probably a big enough drawback having a fumble table (especially for your fighters who have many more attacks and will therefore fumble more often) without then having to make a save to get rid of it.

lostsanityreturned
October 8th, 2018, 17:03
My solution is

Effect: SAVE:-2D6; [D:1]; [ROLL]
Save: fixed dc 5

Gives you a shifting dc but just moves the adjustment to the player effect.

GavinRuneblade
October 9th, 2018, 06:09
My solution is

Effect: SAVE:-2D6; [D:1]; [ROLL]
Save: fixed dc 5

Gives you a shifting dc but just moves the adjustment to the player effect.

I randomly found a similar solution in the spell code for Synaptic Static by Rob2e during a recent game: "ATK: -1d6; CHECK: -1d6; SAVE -1d6" All three of them worked in play.