PDA

View Full Version : Is Fantasy Grounds for me?

Arrix
October 2nd, 2018, 21:18
Hello everyone, I hope you have a great day and thank you for reading this.

I had my eye on Fantasy Grounds for a while now, but the high entry price held me off from buying. I forgot about it and then - a few years later - I saw the current offer on steam. Well, now I'm seriously considering getting the ultimate edition since I have payed more already for the Roll20 subscription.

But before that I have a few questions I couldn't answer after playing around with the demo version. I apologize if those questions have already been answered.

A bit about me and my group: We mainly play a system called Exalted 3rd Edition that is using a modified version of the storyteller system (World of Darkness). While I am a bit sad that there is no official Fantasy Grounds module for Exalted (that would haven been an instant buy) there isn't one for Roll20 and I'm used to doing/importing/writing/homebrewing all the stuff myself. For now we are waiting for the next release in the Exalted line and are playing DnD 5e in the meantime. This post isn't about the DnD part though, but about the possible customization I could pull of given enough time and committment. I wanted to learn coding for a while now and learning while making a future campaign more enjoyable sounds fun.
So here am I asking questions.

1. In what ways is this better than Roll20 and in which is it worse? I'm not exactly asking for a feature comparison - already found one - but more for reasons why you guys stick with Fantasy Grounds over Roll20 or other things.

2. Can Fantasy Grounds count dice/successes? If so how?
Background: The system rolls x D10's (where the actual amount is depending on Attributes, Abillities, used Skills and other modifiers) with a target number of 7 (in some cases this can change) against a difficulty of y. Every die that comes up as 7 or higher (variable) counts as a success while every die that shows a 10 counts as two successes (this is also variable as some skills lower the crit threshold). Rerolls and exploding dice can also happen. Having no success and at least one 1 counts as a bodge. A player needs at least y successes on a check to pass.

I would be happy to get the basic mechanic done in a timely fashion. I.e. letting the player roll x dice and then the counting of successes. More elaborate mechanics would be cool as well, but are not exactly needed. A fast way of rolling several dice of the same type with a variable TN with a variable crit threshold and counting the successes (with output into the chat) is probably the single most important thing. In combat one can potentially roll up to 30+ D10's. Counting that takes time which I would like to reduce as much as possible. On Roll20 that works well except for the crits and anything more elaborate, which we still do manually with repeated rolls and doing math. Is there a way to automate this more in FG?

3. I saw that there is a shared folder for tokens. I imagine they are shared across projects. Can I do something similiar with homebrew stuff? Like custom skills/features/creatures/magical items?

4. Can the character sheet be modified in a way that tracks and updates ressources the player use?
The system has a health track (getting wounded gives penalties), willpower and something like mana (called motes) as ressources that can be spend on various stuff. Things like the mana also regenerate a fixed amount in combat and outside of combat time at a different pace. Is something like this possible:
Player P gets attacked - P decides to enforce her defense with 5 motes (she clicks the skills, says she wants use it for 5 motes, the amount spent is deducted from her current motepool) - Attacker still manages to pass her defense value and hits - P gets wounded for 4 damage (sheet registers damage taken and checks for penalties) - she takes a -1 success penalty on further rolls (every roll from the sheet automates the penalty deduction) - P is angry - P goes all out on her attack - pays 30 motes and 3 willpower on 7 different attack skills combined into one attack (sheet registers this) - Attacker and the mountain behind him go poof

5. Can the combat tracker be modified to include more ressources? Can the automatic update on the initiative order be disabled? Can the automatic update be set to only update on the end of the turn?
In Exalted Initiative is a moving, not a static value. That means the character acting first with 22 initiative can be hit and drop to 2 initiative within the same round. If that happens after he acted the turn order becomes very misleading. Combat in Exalted is complex and having no visual indication of who already acted makes it worse.

In Roll20 I made a Round Counter Object in the Initiative Tracker that was always at the bottom. Everyone that took a turn already was positioned after it. At the end of the turn I would just sort by the new initiative values.

6. Is it possible for attacks to affect initiative? This is probably one of the more complicated issues.

Initiative in Exalted does not work like in any other game I know of. At the start of an encounter it has the same function as in DnD. You roll Initative, note it down and the character with the highest value goes first. Now things are starting to get interesting. Every actor decides between using two types of attack. A withering attack or a decisive attack. A withering attack does not attack the enemies health track, but their Initiative. If an actor hits with the attack the enemy suffers Initiative damage according to the successses rolled on the damage roll of the attack. Imagine Wuxia style fight in which they trade a lot of blows without hurting each other but struggling to get in a better position where they are able to deal the finishing blow. The next time the actor acts he can decide to use his accumulated Initiative to use a decisive attack. This type of attack uses the current Initiative of the attacker to determine the damage pool his attack - if successfull - has. He also automaticaly resets to 3 Initiative if the attack hits. The damage done on this roll is directly applied to the health track of the target.

We were doing all of this manually (well mainly I as the Storyteller) on Roll20. Any way to make this Initiative managing quicker would be a huge boon.

7. Can FG keep track of cooldowns?
Like a skill that can only be used every 3 rounds. Or an affliction that only lasts for 3 rounds and then disappears.

8. Can the hotbar be expanded?
In Roll20 every player used around 20+ macros on a regular basis. Most of those were for dice pools ranging from 5 to 25 dice including counting of the successes and sorting of dice so that the tens are right at the top of the roll.

9. Is it possible to have more than one defense value? Exalted makes a distinction between dodging and parrying.

10. Is there support for damage reduction? There are ways in Exalted to reduce damage from withering and decisive attacks in various ways, passive and active.

11. Is it possible to outright set the damage of an attack to 0 if the damage dice (not the rolled damage - just the rolled dice) are under a certain value of the defender?
Example: P gets hit again but now she has a shiny new armor. It has a Hardness value of 4. The attacker hits her with only 3 damage dice. The attack technically still hits but bounces off of her armor without any harm done (well except on hit effects).

I ask this because this Hardness value is notorious for getting forgotten. In our games it rarely comes up and if it does, nobody remembers they had Hardness in the first place. Fitting this into FGs attack resolution would be nice.

12. Is it possible to create Interfaces or tabs on the character sheet for complex subsystems? Exalted has quite a few subsystems. And a few very complex ones as well.

The crafting system for an example consists of several different types of projects, project tiers and "inspiration" points gained from projects that are also required for higher tier projects. It's a bit convuleted and requires to keep track of a) 4 different types of projects, b) 3 different types of "crafting points" rewarded for completing projects, c) crafting slots to simulate the capacity to work on more than one project at any given time (higher tier projects take more focus than several simple ones), d) number of attempts and rolled successes for any project that is currently worked on and e) time required and time spent on completing the project.

13. I mentioned I wish to learn coding - and I'm certain that realizing everything the system needs is quite a lot of coding - but I have no clue how much work that is. I do know basics in Python and C but I have never done something more complex than a simple calculator. I imagine it is a lot of work, which is not deal breaker since I have still a lot of time left before we start our next Exalted game. Can somebody who knows about coding in Lua give a very rough estimate of the size of a project like this within the context of FG?

14. If I get into coding for FG what else would I need to learn in addition to Lua?

15. I read a bit about the Unity version of FG and that it should include a more complex dice rolling system. Is waiting the smart option for me?

If I committ to buying FG I would go with the lifetime Ultimate version. This is not a cheap option for me but it would still be cheaper than the subscription on roll20 if FG proves to be adaptable enough.

Again, thank you for reading!

LordEntrails
October 2nd, 2018, 22:12
Yes, the answer, in general to your questions is yes. Almost all of the application is open to customization using XML and LUA. Now, for a bit more detail.

1. For me, the reason I chose FG over Roll20 in 2015 is;
- FG had the license for 5E stuff. Roll20 now does, but it's much cheaper on FG than Roll20
- Architecture, I prefer client server to SaaS. (More below)
- the community. I had a bad feeling and had heard enough unsubstantiated rumors about the Roll20 forums, and their was never a doubt the FG forums were the type of place I wanted to be (and a big reason I am so active here)
- GM focus, content creation is a big thing for me. Creating, and sharing, content with FG is very powerful.

Now, I'm told Roll20 is easier to use, especially from a player perspective, but I never had trouble learning FG. But I'm also used to complex and powerful applications like MCAD and PLM systems.

About architecture; I prefer to have control. Both of who/how connects to me, and about having control and responsibility for my content. I'm in this for the long haul, I expect to be using the content I create in 20 years (I've been playing since 1978) and passing it on to my son. This does mean that Roll20 is easier to connect to, but it also means that it is restricted to a browser and when the Orr Group goes out of business I lose my content and if they change their terms of service I either agree or I lose my content. Neither of which is acceptable to me.

2. Yes, see both the MoreCore and DORCore Rulesets. Both are capable of this and can be used as a base for any custom ruleset you develop.

3. Yes, create modules (see the link in my sig). But note, you don't want to use the shared toekn folder for much, it's better to create token modules.

4. Yes, 5E and other rulesets do this for actions/powers, so the code is available already.

5. Sure, if you can develop the digital logic for it, you can modify the XML/LUA to do what you want.

6. I don't know why not. If you can write the code.

7. Sure, effects already have durations. So you could either use an effect or take the code from there.

8. Sure, but their are already 96 of them (ctrl, alt, shift, ctrl-alt, ctrl-shift, shift, alt, ctrl-alt-shift). But again, the UI is exposed so you can modify it.

9. 3E/4E and PF have multiple defense types, so yea, already available.

10. See 3E/3.5/PF rulesets

11. Again, don't know why not. Logic sounds straight forward.

12. Yea, the character sheets already have tabs, adding more is not that big a deal.

13. Yea... I'm not a coder, but others have answered this question before. And as you can imagine, it depends. I would suggest you assume somewhere in the 300 - 2000 hours. Depending upon just what you want, how much automation, and how quickly you learn.

I actually would suggest you start with just using MoreCore or DORCore and making a character sheet using the UI, then make a theme extension for one of them (change the background, icons, etc) and then create a customer character sheet extension. You can actually start playing after you make the UI charactersheet (a few hours) and after that it's all icing on the cake as you get more and more customization done.

14. "Find in Files" in your text/xml editor like Notepad++ or jEdit, etc. You might want to know things like GitHub for source control.

15. IMO, no. MoreCore and DORCore already have any die roll you need, and if you find they don't, both community devs have said they will put it in for you.

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2018, 22:32
Whew, that's quite a list. I'll take a first high-level take on your questions; but feel free to ask for more details.

All of your questions appear as if you are looking for a full-fledged automated Exalted ruleset (i.e. game system framework). To my knowledge, there is not one built for Fantasy Grounds. You can use a generic ruleset to track information for your campaign, and manage all the non-Exalted-specific needs (images, tokens, stories, items, etc.) However, in order to support and automate all the rules for an Exalted game, a ruleset would need to be built to support all that tracking of game system specific information and automation. For a generic ruleset, the MoreCore ruleset provided by the community does a great job of allowing some basic character sheet and combat tracker customization. I'm not personally familiar with the ruleset, but I've heard lots of good things. In the end, you will still need to manually resolve all game-specific rules (such as whether a roll succeeds/fails); but I assume this would be similar to what you did before with macros.

I would suggest you try playing as a player in an FG game for a D&D, Pathfinder or Savage Worlds game to see what is possible with a full-fledged ruleset.

For your specific questions that aren't related to Exalted-specific automation:

1. I'll let people in the community comment on the reasons they prefer FG over Roll20; since I'm obviously biased as a developer. There have been a few threads about it on our forums as well.

2. Each ruleset determines how dice can be calculated and displayed. I believe the MoreCore ruleset has a dice string macro for success dice pools, so this is something that can be done.

3. All the rulesets based on our CoreRPG ruleset (such as MoreCore, 5E, Pathfinder and more) have records for storing common RPG record types (PCs, NPCs, images, story entries, items, parcels (item groups), encounters (NPC groups), ...) Each campaign can store any number of records of each type; and the records from a campaign can be exported as data modules to be used in other campaigns.

5-6.
For this, you could start with the initial initiative value, and then enter the next initiative as play unfolds. Similar to how you would run at a live table.

The hotbar supports 8 * 12 = 96 shortcut keys. Use the Control, Shift and Alt keys to access the various hot key bars; and press the F1-F12 keys to activate the hot keys.

Also, you will want to use the PC/NPC sheet to store most of the rolls for those creatures (especially in MoreCore); so you don't need as many keys for macros. Personally, I use them more to have quick links to content I use a lot or content we are currently running.

Coding an entire ruleset to do all the stuff that you asked for is a very large task. It all depends on how much you "have to have" automated vs. how much you can just track data and let the GM/players handle the adjudication. Many of the rulesets you see on Fantasy Grounds have been incrementally grown over years to provide the level of automation and detail that you see today.

Personally, if I was starting development of a new ruleset, I would start small and slowly add more features/functionality over time. The first step would be to just create a basic PC sheet with dedicated fields specific to your game system; and then expand to basic sheets for NPCs and Items specific to your game system. From there, you can begin to build interfaces and automation with the game system specific information that you have in place.

14. Coding for FG rulesets and extensions uses a combination of XML and Lua. You can find more information here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Developer_Guide
Also, you will probably want to built your ruleset as a layer on top of the CoreRPG ruleset, which provides basic frameworks for many standard RPG records. All of the D&D rulesets, and many others (including MoreCore), are layered on top of CoreRPG.

15. There are no "announced" enhancements for the FG Unity version. It is a rebuild of the entire FG client on a new development platform to allow for future growth. That said, there have been a few teasers of potential improvements that are independent of game system. Given the depth of the FG DLC catalog, maintaining backward compatibility with the existing API is a primary goal. Any rulesets or extensions made for the current version of Fantasy Grounds should continue to work with FGU, though some modifications may need to be made to use the latest API features. If using CoreRPG as a base ruleset layer, most of these changes will be transparent.

Regards,
JPG

damned
October 2nd, 2018, 23:24
2. Can Fantasy Grounds count dice/successes? If so how?
Background: The system rolls x D10's (where the actual amount is depending on Attributes, Abillities, used Skills and other modifiers) with a target number of 7 (in some cases this can change) against a difficulty of y. Every die that comes up as 7 or higher (variable) counts as a success while every die that shows a 10 counts as two successes (this is also variable as some skills lower the crit threshold). Rerolls and exploding dice can also happen. Having no success and at least one 1 counts as a bodge. A player needs at least y successes on a check to pass.

MoreCore has this already. Im not sure about the botch - I cant remember - but it can be coded if its not there.

I would be happy to get the basic mechanic done in a timely fashion. I.e. letting the player roll x dice and then the counting of successes. More elaborate mechanics would be cool as well, but are not exactly needed. A fast way of rolling several dice of the same type with a variable TN with a variable crit threshold and counting the successes (with output into the chat) is probably the single most important thing. In combat one can potentially roll up to 30+ D10's. Counting that takes time which I would like to reduce as much as possible. On Roll20 that works well except for the crits and anything more elaborate, which we still do manually with repeated rolls and doing math. Is there a way to automate this more in FG?

The MoreCore rolls will report the Successes.

3. I saw that there is a shared folder for tokens. I imagine they are shared across projects. Can I do something similiar with homebrew stuff? Like custom skills/features/creatures/magical items?

No. Export these to a module and load that in other campaigns.

4. Can the character sheet be modified in a way that tracks and updates ressources the player use?
The system has a health track (getting wounded gives penalties), willpower and something like mana (called motes) as ressources that can be spend on various stuff. Things like the mana also regenerate a fixed amount in combat and outside of combat time at a different pace. Is something like this possible:
Player P gets attacked - P decides to enforce her defense with 5 motes (she clicks the skills, says she wants use it for 5 motes, the amount spent is deducted from her current motepool) - Attacker still manages to pass her defense value and hits - P gets wounded for 4 damage (sheet registers damage taken and checks for penalties) - she takes a -1 success penalty on further rolls (every roll from the sheet automates the penalty deduction) - P is angry - P goes all out on her attack - pays 30 motes and 3 willpower on 7 different attack skills combined into one attack (sheet registers this) - Attacker and the mountain behind him go poof

With coding this is totally possible. This might be possible with things already in MoreCore like HeroPoints and SpellPoints.

5. Can the combat tracker be modified to include more ressources? Can the automatic update on the initiative order be disabled? Can the automatic update be set to only update on the end of the turn?
In Exalted Initiative is a moving, not a static value. That means the character acting first with 22 initiative can be hit and drop to 2 initiative within the same round. If that happens after he acted the turn order becomes very misleading. Combat in Exalted is complex and having no visual indication of who already acted makes it worse.

MoreCore has 3 or 4 additional CT stat fields + Rolls.
It also has a bunch of Initiative options including one where you simply mark off who has acted already

In Roll20 I made a Round Counter Object in the Initiative Tracker that was always at the bottom. Everyone that took a turn already was positioned after it. At the end of the turn I would just sort by the new initiative values.

6. Is it possible for attacks to affect initiative? This is probably one of the more complicated issues.

Initiative in Exalted does not work like in any other game I know of. At the start of an encounter it has the same function as in DnD. You roll Initative, note it down and the character with the highest value goes first. Now things are starting to get interesting. Every actor decides between using two types of attack. A withering attack or a decisive attack. A withering attack does not attack the enemies health track, but their Initiative. If an actor hits with the attack the enemy suffers Initiative damage according to the successses rolled on the damage roll of the attack. Imagine Wuxia style fight in which they trade a lot of blows without hurting each other but struggling to get in a better position where they are able to deal the finishing blow. The next time the actor acts he can decide to use his accumulated Initiative to use a decisive attack. This type of attack uses the current Initiative of the attacker to determine the damage pool his attack - if successfull - has. He also automaticaly resets to 3 Initiative if the attack hits. The damage done on this roll is directly applied to the health track of the target.

We were doing all of this manually (well mainly I as the Storyteller) on Roll20. Any way to make this Initiative managing quicker would be a huge boon.

This is possible but would need some coding.

7. Can FG keep track of cooldowns?
Like a skill that can only be used every 3 rounds. Or an affliction that only lasts for 3 rounds and then disappears.

You can add labels/effects to actors that have expiry set on them to act as visual reminders.

8. Can the hotbar be expanded?
In Roll20 every player used around 20+ macros on a regular basis. Most of those were for dice pools ranging from 5 to 25 dice including counting of the successes and sorting of dice so that the tens are right at the top of the roll.

Most of these would be done from the Character sheet and you would not need the hotbar for most of them. And pressing Ctrl or Alt or Shift or Ctrl+Alt or Alt+Shift or Shift +Ctrl or Ctrl+Alt+Shift gives you additional hotbar sets.

9. Is it possible to have more than one defense value? Exalted makes a distinction between dodging and parrying.

MoreCore has 3 or 4 additional CT fields - how you use them is up to you.

[/quote]10. Is there support for damage reduction? There are ways in Exalted to reduce damage from withering and decisive attacks in various ways, passive and active. [/quote]

Probably require some coding or simply applying a /mod roll before rolling damage.

11. Is it possible to outright set the damage of an attack to 0 if the damage dice (not the rolled damage - just the rolled dice) are under a certain value of the defender?
Example: P gets hit again but now she has a shiny new armor. It has a Hardness value of 4. The attacker hits her with only 3 damage dice. The attack technically still hits but bounces off of her armor without any harm done (well except on hit effects).

I ask this because this Hardness value is notorious for getting forgotten. In our games it rarely comes up and if it does, nobody remembers they had Hardness in the first place. Fitting this into FGs attack resolution would be nice.

Damage and Attacks are two different rolls.
MoreCore also doesnt auto apply Damage. You roll the damage and then drag (or not) it to the target in the CT.

12. Is it possible to create Interfaces or tabs on the character sheet for complex subsystems? Exalted has quite a few subsystems. And a few very complex ones as well.

The crafting system for an example consists of several different types of projects, project tiers and "inspiration" points gained from projects that are also required for higher tier projects. It's a bit convuleted and requires to keep track of a) 4 different types of projects, b) 3 different types of "crafting points" rewarded for completing projects, c) crafting slots to simulate the capacity to work on more than one project at any given time (higher tier projects take more focus than several simple ones), d) number of attempts and rolled successes for any project that is currently worked on and e) time required and time spent on completing the project.

Yes but need to do coding.

13. I mentioned I wish to learn coding - and I'm certain that realizing everything the system needs is quite a lot of coding - but I have no clue how much work that is. I do know basics in Python and C but I have never done something more complex than a simple calculator. I imagine it is a lot of work, which is not deal breaker since I have still a lot of time left before we start our next Exalted game. Can somebody who knows about coding in Lua give a very rough estimate of the size of a project like this within the context of FG?

Its a rabbit hole. Start with the most important stuff and work your way down over time.

14. If I get into coding for FG what else would I need to learn in addition to Lua?

Some XML. But there are plenty of examples.

15. I read a bit about the Unity version of FG and that it should include a more complex dice rolling system. Is waiting the smart option for me?

If I committ to buying FG I would go with the lifetime Ultimate version. This is not a cheap option for me but it would still be cheaper than the subscription on roll20 if FG proves to be adaptable enough.

Again, thank you for reading!

Mortar
October 2nd, 2018, 23:35
SmiteWorks is looking for someone to develop a World of Darkness. Just thought I wold throw that out there.

damned
October 2nd, 2018, 23:39
SmiteWorks is looking for someone to develop a World of Darkness. Just thought I wold throw that out there.

I think this may be underway already. It will be a while but I think that there is a grahics and coder working together.

viresanimi
October 3rd, 2018, 00:32
That is for Vampire 5th Edition.

MoreCore can definately handle Exalted. It has a dicepool thing integrated now. Recently it was upgraded to have Chronicles of Darkness dice rolling too. I can't recall, but aren't those identical to Exalted? Sure it won't have the bells and whistles of Savage Worlds or D&D but its doable for sure!

Vires Animi

Arrix
October 3rd, 2018, 02:22
Thanks for all the answers, I really appreciate it.

All in all it seems that FG would be a very good fit for me. I do have a few more questions though (that just came up).

LordEntrails
You said FG has a strong focus on the GM and content creation. I'm guessing you are talking about monetization of homebrew content? Would you be so kind to elaborate a bit on this? Also thank you for providing reference to rulesets that already do some of the stuff Exalted does as well. This will probably prove quite useful.

Moon Wizard
Having a fully automated system for Exalted would great, but I know that this won't happen for a while. But I can hope (or do it myself at some point in the future). A lot of my roleplaying friends shy away from Exalted because it's too complex and too much work. Personally I don't mind, it's my most played and loved system for a good number of reasons, but having new players is always a good thing.
Also thank you for your starting suggestion.

damned
I really need to take a look at this MoreCore extension it seems. Moon Wizard suggested starting with the CoreRPG and building upon it. If I do that, could I use MoreCore at the same time or could this have some unforseen consequences? That would probably mean I should stick with either or probably depending on how extensive my ruleset would get, I guess.

@viresanimi
That alone is damn good reason for MoreCore. CoD and Exalted are very similiar. I think the only difference in basic mechanics is that every 1 on a roll also substracts from the total successes of the roll (it does not do that in Exalted).

I don't need a full automation of the several systems. I'm quite happy with working success counting and the option to modify rolls according to the skills used. And there comes something to mind. Something that was irritating on Roll20.

I wrote an initiative macro for entering combat that also included double 10s and a variable TN. The reason why I didn't do that for everything was that roll20 was not able to output the result like every normal roll. It only showed a 1 for a success or a 0 for a non success and that for every single die. Now if a skill said "for every 3 dice that have the same value you gain 1 additional point of initiative" or "re-roll every 1 and 5" you would need to mouseover every single die and look at the popup that tells you what was actually rolled. That worked for initiative because very few powers were able to interact with initiative in this way. For normal rolls outside and inside combat those effects are common, making the macro more of a hassle than anything else.
If I wanted to change that behaviour I would have needed to upgrade to the next subscription tier. I was told I needed access to the API to change how those values were displayed. Should I expect similiar quirkiness from FG? If yes, I should be able to change it, right?

I must admit FG (and it's community) seems quite sexy right now. Everybody is immensely helpful. I will play around with the demo a bit more and then try to pitch it to my players. That only I need a license will probably help quite a bit in that regard.

LordEntrails
October 3rd, 2018, 02:35
LordEntrails
You said FG has a strong focus on the GM and content creation. I'm guessing you are talking about monetization of homebrew content? Would you be so kind to elaborate a bit on this? Also thank you for providing reference to rulesets that already do some of the stuff Exalted does as well. This will probably prove quite useful.

I didn't really mean to emphasize the monetization aspect, but its there.

So, FG is really good for GMs creating homebrew content. Especially for 5E. Things like races, classes, items, maps, adventures, etc can all be created in FG. Using the linking ability (especially adding pins to an image) really means it's quick and easy to navigate a complex adventure. You can make a unique NPC, add it to as many encounters you want, and each of those encounters can be linked to a story or image, and those encounters can have the NPC tokens pre-placed location on a map. Then, you can export all that (or parts of it) as a FG module. You can use that module over and over again in mutliple campaigns, you can share it here on the forums, you can sell it on OBS or the DMsGuild.com.

FG is the only digital platform you can sell homebrew content as pseudo-official 5E content on the DMsGuild. The DMsG gives you access to specific WotC IP that you can only use on teh Guild, so IF you are interested in monetizing homebrew, the Guild is the best place to do (or so many people think). And FG is the only format other than PDF (or raw images) that you can sell on the Guild.

And their is actually a fairly strong set of content available for FG on the Guild. You have adventures like I've done, other have done classes, races, and then others have done tools like all the custom effects, or a table of random dungeon room descriptions. https://www.dmsguild.com/browse.php?filters=0_0_0_0_0_0_45545_0

damned
October 3rd, 2018, 02:38
MoreCore was an extension but is now a generic ruleset.

CoreRPG is the base for almost all the commercial rulesets (excluding M&M, RMC and possibly one other) and most of the community rulesets (those less than 3 or 4 years old).
It is the recommended platform by SmiteWorks.
It is maintained/developed by SmiteWorks.

MoreCore is a layer on top of CoreRPG. It adds a bunch of features to CoreRPG that provide increased usability. It is generic. It is not designed to run any one system. You do need to learn how to use it but it can then be used to run plenty of different game systems.
You should consider this platform if you want to do no or minimal coding.
There are no license limitations on it other than the code belonging to the authors of the various bits.
It is maintained by damned and ianmward mostly.

There are a few scenarios:

If you are wanting to actually code your own ruleset potentially for the store then you should layer it on CoreRPG.
Only CoreRPG layered rulesets will be accepted for inclusion in the FG Store.

If you are have some programming skill or are willing to learn some and you want to build out a full community ruleset then you should layer it on CoreRPG.

If you are building a personal or community ruleset and you really want the DOEs and you can abide by the license agreement then consider layering it on DORCore.

If you want to do as little programming as possible then you should look at using MoreCore or creating a MoreCore extension.

viresanimi
October 3rd, 2018, 02:58
That alone is damn good reason for MoreCore. CoD and Exalted are very similiar. I think the only difference in basic mechanics is that every 1 on a roll also substracts from the total successes of the roll (it does not do that in Exalted).

Actually. They don't. The base difference is that CoD counts 8-10 as successes, with 10's being rolled again. Exalted counts 7-10 as successes, with 10's count as 2 successes. I am sure if you ask Damned very nicely he will modify the CoD dice and add the Exalted dice. See the MoreCore thread about that.

If you don't care about automation, it is very very easy to setup MoreCore to add dice to the dicepool and roll from that. Tracking the health levels is going to be the tricky part I think. But you can make all the notes you would ever need, so a little creative thinking can solve anything.

@Moonwizard
There used to be an incredibly old, pre-CoreRPG, Exalted 2nd edition ruleset. It is gone from the wiki now, but I still have a copy lying around. Which was great. I had a lot of 1st Edition books (including the awesome white leather special edition) and the 3rd edition pdf. Never second edition... heheh

Vires Animi

Nylanfs
October 3rd, 2018, 03:25
You all forgot to welcome them to the forums and FG Community, shame on you.

LordEntrails
October 3rd, 2018, 03:27
You all forgot to welcome them to the forums and FG Community, shame on you.
My fault, sorry Arrix. Welcome to FG and the community!