PDA

View Full Version : Can this be used to play non-D&D games?

Tempura
October 2nd, 2018, 05:19
Hi everyone,

I'm seriously considering buying this (lifetime license) but I need to hear from some current users. I cannot find any definitive info about whether or not this can be used for other rpgs that are not built into the software. Such things like GURPs, Anima, Exalted, etc. How do I go about adding these? manually? If so thats fine but I need to know if its possible with this software.

Thanks in advance!

-Tempura

Calum
October 2nd, 2018, 05:25
Theres quite a few RPG systems available in Fantasy Grounds, Rolemaster, Gurps, Savage Worlds, Traveller, Mutants & Masterminds and load more. Just have a trawl through the modding section of the forum.

Tempura
October 2nd, 2018, 05:27
Mainly Im wanting to use our RPG we have that will be published soon. I'm wanting to find a new spot that we can beta test. The Modules you suggested will not help me.

Andraax
October 2nd, 2018, 05:34
You probably want to look at CoreRPG and MoreCore for more "generic" RPG systems.

LordEntrails
October 2nd, 2018, 05:38
View the intro video for MoreCore. You can pretty much play RPG using it with FG. https://youtu.be/Q8M48Pqb0BM

Tempura
October 2nd, 2018, 05:58
Thanks Everyone!

GunnarGreybeard
October 2nd, 2018, 07:18
Thanks Everyone!

If your game system has special dice rolls you may want to check the MoreCore Ruleset (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset) thread and see if you can them added to MoreCore.

dulux-oz
October 2nd, 2018, 09:32
The DORCore Ruleset also has a vastly expanded Dice-Engine :)

Ken L
October 2nd, 2018, 11:39
It can be used for other RPG systems with difficulty as you'll need to write your own ruleset. Personally if you're not a tinkerer, and your ruleset isn't supported, this might not be for you. You can sub for a month and see how extensions like 'more core' which add more sandbox features to the basic ruleset can help you emulate your ruleset but I wouldn't drop 150 just to 'try' it.

shadzar
October 2nd, 2018, 12:58
The DORCore Ruleset also has a vastly expanded Dice-Engine :)

the only thing DORCORE can't do with dice is because FG can't do it with dice. you get ordered numbered dice and that is it. you can create custom dice for any number 1~X. but you can't for example make a doubling cube from backgammon and roll it as a die.

for all that you would have to fake it with a /rollon <Table-name>.

Hopefully, one of the developers has said they are looking into other options for custom dice rolls (not custom 3d dice per say but the dice faces), for FGU. :)

also with that, decks of cards is not really supported well in FG, so if your custom RPG uses them.. again it will be best to to use tables it seems. (though there is probably a DOE:Deck extension out there I haven't looked at yet.)

dulux-oz
October 2nd, 2018, 13:45
the only thing DORCORE can't do with dice is because FG can't do it with dice. you get ordered numbered dice and that is it. you can create custom dice for any number 1~X. but you can't for example make a doubling cube from backgammon and roll it as a die.

for all that you would have to fake it with a /rollon <Table-name>.

Hopefully, one of the developers has said they are looking into other options for custom dice rolls (not custom 3d dice per say but the dice faces), for FGU. :)

also with that, decks of cards is not really supported well in FG, so if your custom RPG uses them.. again it will be best to to use tables it seems. (though there is probably a DOE:Deck extension out there I haven't looked at yet.)

Now before I take exception to what has been said, let me give you, shadzar, the benefit of the doubt. If you are referring to the fact that we can't change the faces of the individual 3D-die then yes, that is correct - we can't, because that part of the FG-Engine has not (yet?) been made available to the Community Devs.

If, on the other-hand, you are claiming that we can't produce and/or reproduce a given RPG die-roll / die-mechanic, then I would challenge you to provide one or more examples (and yes, we can reproduce a doubling-cube (d6*2), or do you mean an exponential-die (2^d6 or d6^2) - I never played backgammon, so I'm not sure what is being referred too).

In the interests of full disclosure and honesty the current version of the DORCore's die-engine does still have a couple of small bugs - primarily to do with some die-modifcations from the Die Modifications Box - and I should know because my team and I have just solved them in prep for a new release - and yes, those couple of small bugs cause a flow-on effect meaning that not all 100% of table-rolls using the extended die-engine work properly, but we've yet to discover or be told of a RPG die-roll /die-mechanic that the DORCore can't do - any we'd welcome one that we can't do so we can include it.

So, would you mind clarifying your previous post and/or provide us with such an example.

And, just because it was brought up: yes, there is a Card Deck Module in the works

shadzar
October 2nd, 2018, 17:56
And, just because it was brought up: yes, there is a Card Deck Module in the works

doubling cube in backgammon isnt rolled, it is just a marker. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64; to double the bet. but rolling that....i couldn't figure out how.. maybe DORCore has it, but i havent cracked it open yet. still waiting for the other things since it is taking time to update all the individual DOE's and the DOR to see what all DOR can do when the DOE are built and compiled into it. :)

not the 3d dice, but rolling a dice from the dice menu and changing the faces to non-numeric values... we have been through this before.. FG doesn't do it, MoonWizard said so. Pindercarl couldn't figure a way to make it work, and the only kludge was the ruleset Trenloe made to make buttons that are fake "dice" but doesn't use the dice rolling architecture in FG, ergo can't be used in the Dice Tower apply the modifier, print the results in chat, all by using a custom die from the "3d" dice pool.

LordEntrails
October 2nd, 2018, 18:16
doubling cube in backgammon isnt rolled, it is just a marker. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64; to double the bet. but rolling that....i couldn't figure out how.. maybe DORCore has it, but i havent cracked it open yet.
Roll what? As you said, the doubling cube in backgammon isn't rolled, it's just a marker that indicates how much money/points are being bet on the game. So it could just be a note/story. Though a more elegant solution could be created if someone was making a ruleset for it.

seycyrus
October 2nd, 2018, 18:21
... Such things like GURPs,...

Thanks in advance!
-Tempura

While not officially supported by FG, the Gurps ruleset (and community) is awesome!
Edit: Reread some of the earlier replies and now realize that my post does not address the original question. Keeping the post, because it's true that Gurps awesome!

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2018, 18:47
not the 3d dice, but rolling a dice from the dice menu and changing the faces to non-numeric values... we have been through this before..
Yes, we have been through this before. We tried to explain it, but it appears the details weren't taken on board...

So, from what you say here, you roll the dice, don't change the 3D dice as they roll and land (this is what I get from "not the 3d dice") but change the results displayed in the chat window?

FG doesn't do it, MoonWizard said so. Pindercarl couldn't figure a way to make it work, and the only kludge was the ruleset Trenloe made to make buttons that are fake "dice" but doesn't use the dice rolling architecture in FG, ergo can't be used in the Dice Tower apply the modifier, print the results in chat, all by using a custom die from the "3d" dice pool.
Referring to the bolded text. The Star Wars Edge of the Empire ruleset is the one you're referring to. That ruleset *does* use the dice rolling architecture of FG. It *can* use the dice tower, modifiers can be used (but don't mean anything in the EotE RPG system mechanics) and it *does* print the results in chat, showing the custom graphical dice faces in the chat window. The only thing it doesn't do is change the 3D dice faces from numbers to graphics as they roll - the modified graphical dice faces are shown in the chat result immediately after the roll ends.

Please remember this for future, so that your comments about what is possible, what is not possible and what is kludged together can be more accurate. Thanks.

shadzar
October 2nd, 2018, 18:53
nice to pick and chose and take apart a sentence and only address part of it. ;)

but its easy to win an debate when you always change the goalpost....

the part you conveniently left out...

not the 3d dice, but rolling a dice from the dice menu and changing the faces to non-numeric values... we have been through this before.. FG doesn't do it,

"Please remember this for future," try to not misquote someone to make yourself look superior. ;)

and for reference on the original discussion, without quoting everyone from it, you can just look at the thread yourself.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43215-Dice-withoout-numbers

Bidmaron
October 2nd, 2018, 19:39
I am glad we encourage open discussion but if there were ever someone I would want to kick it would be shadzar. Sir, I doubt you intend it but you have the most irritating, condescending writing on forums I can ever remember. Since you have repeatedly said you cannot use FG I always wonder why you stay. From many of your posts, however, it is clear that you want FG to be successful. I guess that is something...

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2018, 19:58
nice to pick and chose and take apart a sentence and only address part of it. ;)

but its easy to win an debate when you always change the goalpost....
As I have told you before, the only reason I reply to your posts is damage minimisation. So that others reading these threads don't go away with the same inaccurate view that you have. I'm not trying to "win" anything. The only thing I care about is that other people on these forums get to know what is correct and accurate. I'd love it if I never, ever, had to address any inaccurate or inflammatory posts on these forums. But, unfortunately, there is that need. Hence why I reply to your posts a lot, but also to others that aren't accurate too.

Ampersandrew
October 3rd, 2018, 15:18
doubling cube in backgammon isnt rolled, it is just a marker. 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64; to double the bet. but rolling that....i couldn't figure out how..

Those numbers are 2 ** d6 -> {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} -> {2**1, 2**2, etc.} -> {2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64}

Not that that is useful for anything.

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2018, 15:38
Those numbers are 2 ** d6 -> {1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} -> {2**1, 2**2, etc.} -> {2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64}

As an exercise in letting people know how to change dice results shown in the chat window after a 3D dice has landed, the dice roll/result itself is easy enough to change in FG.

For those interested, take at look at gameelements.xml in the 5E ruleset. There are some customdie entries towards the end of that file that have some simple code in them to take the result of the actual die throw and then change to result that is shown in the chat window.

shadzar
October 5th, 2018, 14:57

well it is, but it isnt...

in my previous HQ set i was attempting, i changed the output results of a d6 roll to either 1 or 0, and it displayed the numbers on the dice.. the problem is the dice i needed shouldnt have numbers displayed n them. a doubling cube however would have the number, IF it was used for rolling. and would count all the dice face values... FG should do that. not sure on the /die command though because it isn't a singular dice routine, its multiple dice routines depending on where you roll the dice... which is one of the problems of the previous thread.

the dice routine cant work with an array a that looks like a table very well as it is. contrary to Trenloe's BS.

if you catch the dice roll when it is made, you can change it to any numeric value, and still add up the faces from the dice menu using the regular dice or a custom die as i did with the HeroQuest dice which can be seen in the short video in the above linked thread.

so i guess if youneded you could roll the doubling cube and then copy paste the result from chat and stick it somewhere else.

but the problem i mean is with so many die rolling scripts all over the place... its just a horrid mess. it needs 1 singular RNG that just takes the range of the faces (how many sides the die has), and generates a random number from that, and then sends that to the calling function to do whatever with it, be it a name, number, image, etc. the whole thing built now is in such a way it assumes all dice are only numbers so you are expected to do something with the number rolled on a die with faces 1~X.

that is why /rollon exists for tables, because it isnt a real die roll in the program, but an RNG that does something else with the result than just assumes it to be a numerical dice. lots of games use special dice that arent just numbers or linear numbers, ergo the doubling cube for things. Dice that arent 1~X on the faces, where X equals the number of faces the die has.

I have dice based on the joke in Futurama Anthology of Interest I that Gary rolled to see if a monster was "indifferent", they are called hostility die.. physical d6 that have words on the faces, same for weather die, 40k directional die, etc...

the "dice", and when someone thinks "roll a dice" and they see those 3d models of a polyhedral set sitting on the screen and intuitively think they should use one of them, arent very well developed for anything other than the 1~X numerical model RNG.

that may change in FGU though depending on how the new custom dice options work. :)

tl;dr

you jsut reassign those values from a doubling cube to the faces of a custom d6 in FG and you can roll a doubling cube without math, and just using IF::THEN statements; or do it with math.

Andraax
October 5th, 2018, 16:33
I have dice based on the joke in Futurama Anthology of Interest I that Gary rolled to see if a monster was "indifferent", they are called hostility die.. physical d6 that have words on the faces, same for weather die, 40k directional die, etc...

Because that's really just a table that's incorporated onto the die itself. It's a shortcut to having a table labeled 1-6 (or whatever) and then rolling a die and looking up the result. You don't need a shortcut with automation - just create your table and roll on it. The nice thing about FG rollable tables is that you can include lots of other stuff on the table in addition to just a text label - links to treasure items, links to encounters, etc...

shadzar
October 6th, 2018, 00:07
The nice thing about FG rollable tables is that you can include lots of other stuff on the table in addition to just a text label - links to treasure items, links to encounters, etc...

That makes me think, then what is the point of having custom dice.. or any dice. dice are just tables to roll on.... that is how MapTool does it. its annoying there also.

Andraax
October 6th, 2018, 00:53
Dice are for generating random numbers. Those numbers can be used for a variety of things, such as table look ups or totaling and comparing against a target number.

shadzar
October 7th, 2018, 19:38
a platonic solid can be used for generating random anything that fits on its faces. the most common use is for numbers, but even pipped dice have more meaning than jut counting the pips for a number. ;)