October 2nd, 2018, 04:22
Is there anyway to word the syntax for leadership that the parse would catch

Leadership (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). For 1
minute, the hobgoblin can utter a special command or warning
whenever a non-hostile creature that it can see within 30 feet
of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can
add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the
hobgoblin. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die
at a time. This effect ends if the hobgoblin is incapacitated.

The coding I want in the Combat tracker is two effects
[EFF: Leadership; ATK: 1d4;SAVE: 1d4 (A:ROLL)]
[EFF: Leadership; (T:SELF) (D:1 MIN)]

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2018, 04:52
There’s no wording that you could give an NPC to create such an effect (otherwise it would already work). The best you can do for that one is to create the effects in the effects dialog and place them on the relevant NPCs from there.

epithet
October 2nd, 2018, 05:11
Actually, you can type the code directly into the combat tracker for the hobgoblin. I had an encounter a few months back with a magic statue that would buff the cultists in a shrine, and I figured out the syntax and had the line of code on the description of the statue's NPC block. When the statue was added to the combat tracker, I popped it open, copied the effect code from the description tab, and pasted on a new line under the statue. It became clickable. On the statue's turn, I used the map toolbar to target all friendly cultists, and then clicked the effect from the statue. I can see doing the same thing for custom lair actions--I usually make a seperate NPC for the lair of a Legendary Beastie so that I am reminded of its place in the initiative order.

LordEntrails
October 2nd, 2018, 05:46
This got me thinking...
Can you link an effect from the effect list onto an NPC other tab or a staroy entry. Never tried and on phone atm...

GavinRuneblade
October 2nd, 2018, 06:50
Is there anyway to word the syntax for leadership that the parse would catch

Leadership (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). For 1
minute, the hobgoblin can utter a special command or warning
whenever a non-hostile creature that it can see within 30 feet
of it makes an attack roll or a saving throw. The creature can
add a d4 to its roll provided it can hear and understand the
hobgoblin. A creature can benefit from only one Leadership die
at a time. This effect ends if the hobgoblin is incapacitated.

The coding I want in the Combat tracker is two effects
[EFF: Leadership; ATK: 1d4;SAVE: 1d4 (A:ROLL)]
[EFF: Leadership; (T:SELF) (D:1 MIN)]

I can think of two possible workarounds since it seems this doesn't work directly:
1. This looks identical to the bless spell, so why not just give the creature access to bless and handwave the name?
2. Create a fake PC and put the power on the PC, use the PC to deliver the effect to the correct targets.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2018, 09:51
Can you link an effect from the effect list onto an NPC other tab or a staroy entry. Never tried and on phone atm...
Nope. There is not a link icon on the effect window - the effect button is not a link, it's a drag-able action, which can't be added as a link to a formattedtext control.