PDA

View Full Version : To Steam or not to Steam.....

Gildashard
October 2nd, 2018, 00:57
Fantasy Grounds on sale....good move Smiteworks because you may just snag me on this one.

What's the pros and cons of buying from Steam versus buying from the Smiteworks store?

Thanks in advanced.

Bidmaron
October 2nd, 2018, 01:01
Welcome, Gildashard!
If you are not in the U.S. you may save money on Steam due to more favorable exchange rates, but since you are in Memphis area, that is non sequitur for you.
No advantage I think. In fact, you have to take an extra step to synchronize your purchase and Steam gets a cut, depriving SW from revenue.

Gildashard
October 2nd, 2018, 01:09
Yeah I figured as much. I thought maybe there was some syncing involved between multiple computers like for some games. I have a desktop and a laptop so I'm trying to see how I can use either and keep all of my data together. This was nice feature of Roll20's web based design model, I could open and view it anywhere.

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2018, 01:25
You can do this in FG as well. All you need to do is copy the FGdata folder onto your other machine.

There is no difference in the client whether bought from Steam or the Store, and there is no difference in the way data is handled one way or another. As noted above the only difference is removing Steam’s cut if you buy from the store.

LordEntrails
October 2nd, 2018, 02:30
Steam tracks how long you have the program in use. If that means anything to you... *G*

oreofox
October 2nd, 2018, 02:55
I bought it through Steam today, as it was like $3 cheaper than through FG itself. It isn't recognizing my license from it, which is annoying the everloving crap outta me.

So, I would probably purchase it through Fantasy Grounds' store instead.

Bidmaron
October 2nd, 2018, 03:02
I warned you that you would have to synchronize the account. There should be no difference in price. Send an e-mail to [email protected], and I think they will take care of the difference.

damned
October 2nd, 2018, 03:16
I bought it through Steam today, as it was like $3 cheaper than through FG itself. It isn't recognizing my license from it, which is annoying the everloving crap outta me.

So, I would probably purchase it through Fantasy Grounds' store instead.

Cut and paste the license and make sure you enter it in the right field. It should work.

oreofox
October 2nd, 2018, 03:20
Cut and paste the license and make sure you enter it in the right field. It should work.

I did. I clicked "Activate License", pasted it in the top field, clicked OK, then Update. Goes to the launcher and says v.3.3.6 FREE

damned
October 2nd, 2018, 03:22
Did you install to any custom paths/directories?

oreofox
October 2nd, 2018, 03:24
The Steam version was installed in D:/Steam Library. Not sure if that could be the problem?

Uninstalled and reinstalled in Program Files (x86). Didn't help.

damned
October 2nd, 2018, 03:40
There could be a few things happening... can you download the webinstaller from the front page of this site and reinstall using that.
Its possible you might have two instances of FG installed and the updater and launcher are looking at different instances.
Its also possible its a permissions issue.
Its also possible the license key is a dud but I havent seen that before...

oreofox
October 2nd, 2018, 03:53
I deleted everything from the 2 Fantasy Grounds folders in Program Files (x86) and Program Data. Reinstalled it from the installer downloaded from FG website. Still not recognizing it. I put in the license in the top field, click OK, and then "Update". I did notice that when I first go to install, I click "Update" and the license thing pops up. I put the number in the top field, hit ok, and then Update again, and this time it actually installs everything. However, it still isn't recognizing the key.

damned
October 2nd, 2018, 04:00
when you go into settings is the license key filled in? probably just ***'s
Does the App and Data directory shown match with what you are expecting?
While in there you may as well as your FG Forum login details o the Purchases/Manage field.
And you should set up the Steam sync too: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/syncSteamAccount.xcp

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2018, 08:25
Hi oreofox. Sorry you're having issues. Very frustrating to not be able to use FG to its fullest immediately.

Your license key should be 5 sets of 5 alphanumeric characters, separated by dashes. e.g. ABC12-DE34F-87IJK-3SDEM-QWERT Double check it is in this format and there are no spaces at the end or beginning when entering into the license key field.

You should be able to get the license key from the Steam library - CD key properties.

If it's in the right format I mentioned above, the best thing to do is email your license key to [email protected] and they will check on the system to see what the issue is.

Mockduck
October 3rd, 2018, 03:58
Typically Steam is like Apple in that they take about 30% of the sale, so it's definitely better to support SmiteWorks to go outside of Steam. That said, if Steam offers convenience to you, it is your purchase after all, and some money is still better than no money. Depending on how you use Steam, it does have built in chat and streaming, so that might be attractive to you.

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2018, 05:28
Note: if you purchase your FG license from the FG web store, once every month license purchases are sent to Steam - so you can then activate the application on Steam using your FG license key purchased from the FG store - exactly as if you’d bought on Steam, you just have to wait a few weeks for the codes to be sent.

Info here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530621472814/

lostsanityreturned
October 3rd, 2018, 05:47
I went for the "best of both worlds" approach and purchased the standard license on steam and everything else directly from the FG website.

(I upgraded to ultimate here as well btw)

I like having it in my steam list and not having to add an external program every time I change computers or search steam for the program. But ultimately it makes very little difference.

Oh and buying from steam isn't advantageous in Australia over just supporting the developers directly.

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2018, 05:54
I like having it in my steam list and not having to add an external program every time I change computers or search steam for the program.
I mentioned just a couple of posts above - purchasing from the FG web store also allows you to activate the product on Steam (you can do this once the FG license keys are sent from SmiteWorks to Steam every month or so).

lostsanityreturned
October 3rd, 2018, 06:23
I mentioned just a couple of posts above - purchasing from the FG web store also allows you to activate the product on Steam (you can do this once the FG license keys are sent from SmiteWorks to Steam every month or so).

Yeah, but that doesn't allow for instant gratification ;)