PDA

View Full Version : Subscription needs for Starfinder?

bmmcwhirt
October 2nd, 2018, 00:26
If I buy the Ultimate License, do my players still need to buy a license to play? I know for some games they do not, but for Starfinder, I've seen conflicting reports elsewhere and thought it best to just ask people who actually know for sure.

Thanks in advance.

damned
October 2nd, 2018, 01:08
If I buy the Ultimate License, do my players still need to buy a license to play? I know for some games they do not, but for Starfinder, I've seen conflicting reports elsewhere and thought it best to just ask people who actually know for sure.

Thanks in advance.

welcome bmmcwhirt
Only the GM needs the ruleset. They can share books to the players also.

bmmcwhirt
October 2nd, 2018, 02:08
Thanks, processing my purchase now!

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2018, 08:18
Welcome to the forums bmmcwhirt.

If the GM has an ultimate license, the players never need a FG license to connect to that GM and play. They have access to what the GM is running and chooses to share with them.

The thing that may have been confusing with the reports elsewhere (but I'm not sure as I haven't seen those reports) is that players won't be able to created PCs for Starfinder offline (unless they have a license and the Starfinder ruleset themselves) - they will need to be connected to the GM. However, there is some functionality in Manage Characters if the player has previously connected to the GMs Starfinder game. See details here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44171-couple-question-from-a-fresh-FG-user&p=392499&viewfull=1#post392499

bmmcwhirt
October 2nd, 2018, 13:40
Trenloe, thanks, that is helpful and I was aware they would not be able to create characters as I had already been playing with the demo. I did grab my license as I didn't want to miss out on the amazing sale. I've also already imported all my Paizo purchases and the discount are great. I join all the others in commending FG and Paizo for doing this.