PDA

View Full Version : Connection Test Failure

Simursmack
October 1st, 2018, 02:15
I just bought fantasy grounds about a week ago, and I am having connection test failures. I tried having someone connect to my computer and he was also not able to do so. I have done port forwarding on my router to port 1802. I have added inbound port 1802 rules in windows as well as added to allow outbound traffic. I have made sure the networks are private and not public. I have tried using the zerotier workaround, and gotten as far as giving my VPN IP address to someone (both of us were connected to the VPN) - who could then not connect. I have tried connecting to my phone as a mobile hotspot (in an attempt to quickly switch my ISP), and that did not work either. All of these things have resulted in a failed connection test. I could do the tracert and post it, however, I am not too keen on publicly posting my IP address, so I would be willing to PM someone. My ISP does do VLAN tagging, so I am not sure if that interferes with the port forwarding - if that was the problem, I do not know why it would not have worked on my phone's mobile hotspot.

I'm out of ideas here. Anyone able to help? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

LordEntrails
October 1st, 2018, 02:35
Phone networks usually don't work without a VPN.

Are you using a IPv4 IP address? From your tracert, can you tell if you have a public external IP address or is your ISP collating/collecting and splitting a public IP to multiple customers?

Simursmack
October 1st, 2018, 03:46
I just pm'ed you with my tracert. I am not sure if I have a public external IP address or if my ISP is splitting to multiple customers.

LordEntrails
October 1st, 2018, 06:17
I just pm'ed you with my tracert. I am not sure if I have a public external IP address or if my ISP is splitting to multiple customers.
IT appears public to me. But, as I mentioned in the PM, I'm not a network guru. I can help some, but I think we're going to need one of the gurus to help you out.They are going to be able to get your issue resolved in a fraction of the time it would take me.

damned
October 1st, 2018, 08:06
send the tracert my way please...

LordEntrails
October 1st, 2018, 19:44
send the tracert my way please...
I sent it your way.

damned
October 1st, 2018, 22:08
The tracert addresses look fine.
There is still something awry with one of:

1. your router settings
2. your software firewall settings
3. your windows network settings

if you would like me to have a look send me a pm with your email address.

Simursmack
October 1st, 2018, 23:08
Just sent you the tracert and my email. I have an old Mac running OSX El Capitan hooked up to the same router. I downloaded the free game and did a connection test and it also failed. I haven't played around with any of the Mac settings to get it to work. Don't know if that helps. Thanks for helping btw.

Simursmack
October 2nd, 2018, 03:02
Another update. Just tried running Microsoft's portkey application. It says that the port was closed until I went from the FG launcher to a started campaign. At that point, the portkey says that my computer is listening on port 1802. I then went to canyouseeme and it said success. I closed out of the campain back to the launcher, and the test then failed. I can no longer get canyouseeme to find port 1802, even though portkey still says listening on port 1802.

Also, not sure if this matters, but in the port forwarding section of my router I can select for protocol: TCP, UDP, and TCP/UDP. If I try to add TCP/UDP, it tells me that it cannot do that since the port is in use by another port forwarding application or rule. It does this even if I delete all of the port forwarding rules first in the port forwarding section.

LordEntrails
October 2nd, 2018, 04:07
The port check (canyouseeme etc) will only work when you have a program running and listening on the port. i.e. you have to have FG running and a campaign open so that something is actually listening on the port.

That router issue about a duplicate rule tells me you should reboot your router and then look. Sounds like their is a rule "stuck" somewhere.

Simursmack
October 5th, 2018, 02:56
Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to get this to finally work by running the game on a different port than 1802 by following this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17553-Changing-the-port-!&p=134931&viewfull=1#post134931

Maybe 1802 had some sort of conflict on my router? Anyway, I'm glad it is working!

LordEntrails
October 5th, 2018, 03:47
Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to get this to finally work by running the game on a different port than 1802 by following this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17553-Changing-the-port-!&p=134931&viewfull=1#post134931

Maybe 1802 had some sort of conflict on my router? Anyway, I'm glad it is working!
Maybe you have another application running on that port? Not sure how to determine that though :(

Xemit
October 5th, 2018, 16:34
If you wish to know which service is using what ports: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48198/how-can-you-find-out-which-process-is-listening-on-a-port-on-windows

Daredevil0130
October 9th, 2018, 04:58
Hey all, i have been experiencing issues with my fantasy grounds connection as both dm and player. I have gone through all troubleshooting methods and used different methods of allowing port 1802 through however i cannot access fantasy grounds. I have pinged and used tracert commands and no success. I have gone through my firewalls and allowed fantasy grounds as an exception and allowed the port to be opened. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bidmaron
October 9th, 2018, 05:02
The one thing you don't say you've done is verify that your network is set to private. Also, you should post the tracert as described a thousand times in these kinds of threads.

But, welcome to FG!

LordEntrails
October 9th, 2018, 05:35
Hey all, i have been experiencing issues with my fantasy grounds connection as both dm and player. I have gone through all troubleshooting methods and used different methods of allowing port 1802 through however i cannot access fantasy grounds. I have pinged and used tracert commands and no success. I have gone through my firewalls and allowed fantasy grounds as an exception and allowed the port to be opened. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Please be patient with us. We've many times heard people say they have "gone through all the troubleshooting methods" but in the end, they miss something that might be considered one of those steps.

Please take the time to detail exactly what you have done, what symptoms you are experiencing, etc. As others have mentioned, let us know (among many other things) if your network is set to private and what your traceroute results actually are.

damned
October 9th, 2018, 07:21

Hi Daredevil0130 what are these different methods of allowing port 1802? Ping and Tracert wont change anything - they are diagnostic tools - please share the results of these commands?