PDA

View Full Version : New here...thoughts on FG?

themessy
June 26th, 2006, 02:00
Hello all, it seems I have stumbledupon (firefox extension, anywith firefox should get it, its a blast) the holy grail of roleplaying! I have been thinking of something very similar to this for so long now and finally my dreams have come true! This piece of software, from what I see before downloading it, seems to be the perfect way to play dnd with friends who are miles apart...I only have a few questions for the community if you dont mind?

1. How hard is it to find a reliable game? I only have one day off a week and can only play at a certain time, how often do people start games then have to end them because no one ever shows up?

2. The full version is for the GM, and the lite version is for players, correct?

3. Thanks in advance!

Cantstanzya
June 26th, 2006, 02:40
Welcome. You are correct, this is the Holy Grail of online roleplaying. As far as finding a game, it would probably help if you posted what timezone you live in and what day you are available to play, also what ruleset you are interested in playing. As far as the full version verses the lite, you are correct. The full is for the GM and the lite is for the players. You cannot buy the lite and then later upgrade, so if you are ever think you are going to host a game, create a ruleset or a module, you should get the full version.

richvalle
June 26th, 2006, 02:43
If you can get some friends to all jump on the FG bandwagon at the same time you can all buy it and get a discount. Plus you won't have to look so hard for a game that way. :)

rv

Griogre
June 26th, 2006, 07:07
If you can get some friends to all jump on the FG bandwagon at the same time you can all buy it and get a discount. Plus you won't have to look so hard for a game that way. :)

That's what I did. You only get a quantity discount from the store here, though.

GMBazUK
June 26th, 2006, 09:31
Hi the...messy,

Have you checked out the calendar page of this site. It will give you some idea of gaming activity. Obviously there is also a new game forum which you might want to read through.
I would say, that if your a D20 DnD player you will find a game pretty readily.
How do I know? I am neither D20 conversant or upto speed with the DnD rules, and so anything short of running my own game, I cant see myself playing anytime soon.
On the point, of running your own system, one of the great things about FG is that it is not rules centric. If you want to ignore the in-built rules set (D20) and use FG with your old skool rulebooks, no problem. Alternatively if you want to make a ruleset to replace FGs generic system rules, no problem. There are lots of clever guys (and gals) here who will help you get started. Im not one of them.

Im sure if you trawl the internet you will find other virtual tabletop systems.
The reason I plumped for FG, is that whilst other systems offered a greater number of "bells and whistles", FGs straight forward approach to providing the fundamental features (and doing it well), like dice, a rules interface, a way to create/exchange maps, notes, character sheets etc, whilst avoiding other potentially problematic areas, like audio and video, ensures that even the lowest denominator in your gaming group, you know the gal with dial-up and a low spec machine, or the guy who moved to... Pitcairn Island, will be able to join in the fun.

Actually it was the rollable dice that sold it to me. Ah happy times.

Hope this helps

Baz.

themessy
June 28th, 2006, 02:38
Thank you very much for the info, I need to talk to a few friends of mine and see if they would want to shell out some cash for this...not that its all that expensive, but ya never know. Again, thank you!