PDA

View Full Version : Runtime Error: Exception: Bad Allocation

backwardoracle
September 29th, 2018, 15:51
Recently I have seen this popup a lot when it happens, I have to quit the program via windows rather than the program.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Bidmaron
September 29th, 2018, 15:59
It would help if you provide more information as to what you are doing when it happens, but I suspect your problem is covered in the following thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39981-Runtime-Error-Exception-bad-allocation).

Trenloe
September 29th, 2018, 16:07
This will be caused by using too much resources in FG.

Find some info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42366-v3-3-4-Allocation-Errors

And, if you need more, do a "Site Search" for "bad allocation" to see it discussed in more depth.

Zacchaeus
September 29th, 2018, 16:10
Indeed, it would help to know for example whether you are DMing or you are a player.

In either case the error will almost always be a function of too much memory being used. As noted in that post Bidmaron link check to see how much memory FG is using when you are in your campaign. If you are a player then you'll need to get your DM to unshare any unneeded modules, extensions, images and especially any shared tokens (never share tokens). Once they have cleaned up their campaign nuke your cache before rejoining.

If you are the DM then do the same thing for your own campaign and have your players nuke their cache before joining you.

backwardoracle
September 29th, 2018, 16:15
Thanks as I'm the DM and not actually running the game at the time, I had just created some more portraits (in this case). for actual gaming I usually swap adventure modules in and out on a session basis.

wrandalljr4
April 27th, 2019, 20:16
The same thing happens to me as the GM. I am populating a dungeon for my players. Recently I have seen this popup a lot when it happens, I have to quit the program via windows rather than the program.

Zacchaeus
April 27th, 2019, 20:27
The same thing happens to me as the GM. I am populating a dungeon for my players. Recently I have seen this popup a lot when it happens, I have to quit the program via windows rather than the program.

As noted above such an error will almost certainly be caused by your using too much memory. If you have a look at your memory useage when FG is running if it is up or around the 3Gb mark then this is your issue.

Make sure that you don't have too many modules open - especially token modules and that you don't have too many big images (the general rule is to keep images below 2048x2048 and 1Mb is resolution and size). Another cause of memory being used up DM side is if you have a lot of tokens in your tokens/host or tokens/shared folders. Clear out all of those and make token modules instead of storing them there.

wrandalljr4
April 27th, 2019, 21:05
Awesome ... Awesome... Thank you for your advice, it all makes sense. I just purchased and download a bunch of tokens. Plus i will work on keeping my images smaller.

Thank you so very much. :-)

Warren