PDA

View Full Version : paid GMing

BrianD&D
September 28th, 2018, 19:32
I was wondering if Fantasy Grounds allows paid GMing. With everything going on with Roll20 now im thinking on switching over. Not sure yet still thinking on it. Thanks for the help.

backwardoracle
September 28th, 2018, 19:40
This thread should cover most of what you need to know
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40385-Rules-for-Paid-Games-and-hiring-a-Games-Master&highlight=paid+gm%27ing

BrianD&D
September 28th, 2018, 19:43
Thanks for the link just a few questions. What does it mean by a difrerent calendar system and how do you post your own thread. Ive only ever posted in established threads before. Thanks for the help.

SirGraystone
September 28th, 2018, 19:50
It mean using FG forums and calendar

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/gamecalendar/dashboard.php

LordEntrails
September 28th, 2018, 20:25
And start a thread in the LFG forums of your own. In other words, don't reply to someone else's post with details about your game. In short, let them come to you, don't force yourself (or be seen to be) on others.

Of course you can advertise on other sites, etc, but the your game, and game registration has to be through the calendar system here.

BrianD&D
September 28th, 2018, 22:38
Awesome thanks.

damned
September 29th, 2018, 00:30
Of course you can advertise on other sites, etc, but the your game, and game registration has to be through the calendar system here.

this applies to games advertised here
if you advertise here you need to keep the organisation of the game happening here
if you only advertise elsewhere you can do as you please
some people seem to object to paid GMing and you may get the odd narky post on your ad - just smile and think of the great game they are missing out on and continue on (so long as you are following those guidelines)

Valatar
September 29th, 2018, 04:36
I honestly don't get it, I see nothing unethical with someone making a living running games. Especially in FG, where one can spend untold hours making custom maps, monsters, and other content for their players. If someone is just offering to roll a party through some premade content, yeah, I wouldn't value that highly, but if a GM showed up with a huge Ptolus-sized tome of some crazy setting world they devised with unique places, NPCs, and opponents, it could very much be worth paying for the ride.
That said, yeah, it'd be gauche for a GM to come busting into a group ad and try to get them to pay if they weren't looking for a hired GM, so it seems perfectly reasonable to make would-be pro GMs have the players come to them.

dulux-oz
September 29th, 2018, 05:28
I honestly don't get it...

Well, here's my take on it - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?303-Why-I-Oppose-Paid-Games

Of course, other people have other opinions - and SmiteWorks have given it the OK (within a framework) so if people want to be involved with it then its up to them. :)

Valatar
September 29th, 2018, 05:57
Ah. See, I view the world-creating as the part worth paying for, more than the actual game-running. Much like someone who writes a setting book or an adventure. Sitting around the virtual table for three hours could take ten hours of behind the scenes work for writing and statting NPCs, drawing maps, and so on. Making a custom scenario can take a ton of time and effort if it's being done well. I'm definitely willing to pay for a custom-made adventure module.

damned
September 29th, 2018, 08:13
I see nothing wrong with paying for either the content or the running of the game.
We pay for experiences all the time - whether its a movie, netflix, a football game, dinner out, nightclub entry, whatever...
You can only spend your dollars once - what you choose to spend them on is entirely up to you.

shadzar
September 29th, 2018, 13:34
I honestly don't get it, I see nothing unethical with someone making a living running games.

its the same as people streaming on Twitch and posting videos on Youtube to me.. you are "creating content" for the end user, aka player, to "consume" aka a consumer.

You just don't sell the adventure as a book, you sell it as an "experience" that comes with a specific persons skills, and abilities.

you aren't just DMing, that comes free, its the art that comes with it. those that don't want to pay, can play in a free game somewhere.

People have to pay to play in games at GenCon, DragonCon, etc.. those GMs or someone is paid for it... what is wrong with the home player doing the same thing?

Personally if I was to "hire" a dm, it would be.. well nobody since the ones i would hire are no longer living (Gary and Dave), or just so far distant and have forgotten what i would want to play that it wouldn't be worth the time or effort having them do it anymore.

If an LGS hires one, i see no problem in that. its a lossleader "product" in order to sell more merchandise and interest.

its all really in how you market something as to how appealing it is to anyone.

Andraax
September 29th, 2018, 15:50
People have to pay to play in games at GenCon, DragonCon, etc.. those GMs or someone is paid for it... what is wrong with the home player doing the same thing?

The GM doesn't get paid - that's to cover the cost of gaming space. The hotel / convention center doesn't just provide that space for free, you know...

shadzar
September 29th, 2018, 15:55
you think hosts for events at cons don't get paid? :confused:

Example: Stream of Many Eyes.

Trenloe
September 29th, 2018, 16:02
you think hosts for events at cons don't get paid? :confused:
I've GM'd at many conventions - local ones in different countries, GenCon and PaizoCon. The most I've ever got was free entry to the con - and that usually required me to run at least 5 tables. For PaizoCon/GenCon Paizo would also provide a GM a space in a hotel room (shared with 3 other GMs) if you agreed to run at least 7/8 sessions. That was it - no pay, nothing else. For some conventions I didn't even get free entry.

Zomnivore
September 29th, 2018, 16:25
GMing isn't exactly unrewarding. You get to create a world etc, and you are an active player through your setting npcs and the arcs you build.

I refuse to believe that GMs suffer for their art.

That being said. I don't really care if you want to ask for money. Personally I don't really see a problem with it. People pay subs for content in mmos etc. If you provide a lot of content for your players to get into I could see it being very reasonable.

Trenloe
September 29th, 2018, 16:30
GMing isn't exactly unrewarding. You get to create a world etc, and you are an active player through your setting npcs and the arcs you build.

I agree. Yes, the majority of GMs will always be the ones who have to buy most of the products/material to play and spend many hours prepping for games. But, in my experience, it has rarely been a thankless task - most of my players seem to appreciate what I do for them, and I enjoy doing it.

That being said. I don't really care if you want to ask for money. Personally I don't really see a problem with it. People play subs for content in mmos etc. If you provide a lot of content for your players to get into I could see it being very reasonable.
I don't have a problem with paid games either. No one is forcing someone to pay-to-play. If you don't like it, don't do it. Of course, the issue comes if the product delivered is not up to scratch - but that can happen with anything you pay for or invest time in (even if you're not paying).

Full Bleed
October 1st, 2018, 12:36
This philosophy always makes me a bit sad.

As if reward and compensation can only come from a commodity that inflicts suffering on the provider.

Myrdin Potter
October 1st, 2018, 15:30
If players are willing to pay, tben I am fine with paid GMing.

I don’t charge to run games, but it certainly is not thankless. Even when I run games for AL, I get extra “dm” awards.

lostsanityreturned
October 2nd, 2018, 04:45
This philosophy always makes me a bit said.

As if reward and compensation can only come from a commodity that inflicts suffering on the provider.
Agreed, in fact the very mentality tends to lead to suffering as if a person does not suffer/struggle during the production of something then they can often feel unsatisfied as they have attached suffering to success.

Strive for success and perfection but accept reality -nods-

Well, here's my take on it - https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/entry.php?303-Why-I-Oppose-Paid-Games

Of course, other people have other opinions - and SmiteWorks have given it the OK (within a framework) so if people want to be involved with it then its up to them. :)

I understand your view and wouldn't pay for GMing personally, however I know two people who only got into the hobby because of their ability to experience a "quick fix" and get a feel of the system before running their own games. SW has taken the right route in not allowing people to advertise intrusively though :)