PDA

View Full Version : Psi

MadBeardMan
September 28th, 2018, 14:34
Afternoon All,

Been thinking to do the PSI development now.

This is what I think I should do:

Add a new Tab called 'PSI'

Inside this Tab, add a Header for each of the PSIONIC TALENTS, ie:

Telepathy
Clairvoyance
Telekinesis
Awareness
Teleportation

Just like the 'Skill Tab', and allow you to set the Skill, the characteristic will be PSI, so show the 'Total' that can be rolled.

Then add all the PISONICS SKILLS to a new Psionic Skill list, where you can drag and drop them into the sub-window much like the Skills tab, and it will link to the TALENT for each one (so you can roll SENSE or 'CLAIRVOYANCE'). ** This will not take away any PSI cost rolling from here **

Inside the actions tab, add 'PSI Strength' into the Woundtrack window (hide if the PSI attribute is 0).

Add a window for 'Psionic Actions' (below Weapons) (hide is the PSI attribute is 0)

In here automatically add any PSI skills, each will allow a roll (of course) but you can set the PSI Cost before the roll, once the roll is carried out those PSI points are removed from the current PSI Strength.

Now I'm thinking aloud here, have a think and let me know, I'd like to start coding this next week.

Cheers,
MBM

LordNanoc
September 28th, 2018, 19:00
Sounds first class to me!
Thanks!

MadBeardMan
December 2nd, 2018, 23:31
Hello All,

This is the plan, I found my notes and still think this is best for PSI stuff, so whilst Starships are talked about 'how best' to do, I'll dig out the code I created for this and re-start on it.

Cheers,
MBM

esmdev
December 3rd, 2018, 00:00
For the most part it sounds great. One thing I was thinking is you will need a way to determine what discipline a character has and doesn't have (a simple toggle is probably enough), as it's possible for a character to have telepathy and nothing else depending on rolls.

MadBeardMan
December 3rd, 2018, 00:06
For the most part it sounds great. One thing I was thinking is you will need a way to determine what discipline a character has and doesn't have (a simple toggle is probably enough), as it's possible for a character to have telepathy and nothing else depending on rolls.

Yes, been thinking about doing it like this since I wrote the above.

If the DM is -3 for a talent, ie Telepathy then don't show that in the action tab.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
December 9th, 2018, 17:38
Greetings Folks,

Been working away on the PSI stuff during the week. Moon Wizard has been kind enough to tidy up the code inside the Ruleset which I'm going to spend time looking through, with a good wind should have an update next week.

Cheers,
MBM

LordNanoc
December 9th, 2018, 17:54
Cheers, mate. Great work. Looking forward to the update!

esmdev
December 9th, 2018, 20:32
Thanks for the update!

Also, Moon Wizard, thanks for the cleanup in aisle Traveller. :)

MadBeardMan
December 9th, 2018, 22:27
Thanks for the update!

Also, Moon Wizard, thanks for the cleanup in aisle Traveller. :)

Yup, MW made some changes (cleared up some code that I didn't use and removed some code that I didn't need).

So I'm working on the PSI now...

LordNanoc
December 10th, 2018, 18:36
That's great.
A thing I am scratching my head about here is, how you implement damage, that ignores armour (i.e. a telepathic strike, that debilitates your mind - dmg goes to int instead other stats IIRC)... That sounds like a bummer to program...

MadBeardMan
January 1st, 2019, 21:25
Greetings All,

So far I've imported the Data into the ruleset, so it displays the PSI abilities, been wrangling how to list only the Talents.

The hard side really is how to make the 'actions' work as such for damage and points cost etc. So planning on just adding it as an action without any real effects for this version (1.08).

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
January 2nd, 2019, 23:13
Greetings All,

So I've just pushed 1.0.8 to FG. You can read more about it here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47282-Update-1-0-8

That has the first stage of the PSI stuff.

You can with 1.0.8, drag the Talents you want, set the Level you have and make 'PSI Talent' rolls against each. This means if someone has Psionics, they can add the Talents they have, and make a Talent roll for any ability under that Talent they want.

Now stage 2 of the PSI stuff will be in 1.0.9, or 1.0.8a if I get it completed this month.

My thinking.

When you drag a Talent into the PSI Tab, the Abilities appear in the Action Tab, for that Talent, if more than 1 Talent is chosen the list in the Action Tab will be mixed in alpha order, easier to find the 'ability you want'

Now against an Ability the 'Talent DM' will be shown as the 'Total' and that can be rolled, but there's also a COST field. This is defaulted to 0, but the player can edit it, make the roll (if they have enough PSI points left), and then if successful, the points cost is taken from the PSI Strength (current).

This is very basic, but gets around the 1+Range cost a lot of them have.

I do welcome thoughts on these ideas, they're what I class as stage 2 and should be easy to implement.

Onto the 3rd stage (again depending on speed of 2nd, might be part of that), PSI abilities that are 'attacks', these are issues because of how they damage, Assault for example attacks the PSI stat and then the Intelligence stat, then the Endurance and ignores armour, but not if the Mind is shielded.

It gets quite complex.

Yet another attack 'TELEKINETIC PUNCH' uses force and thus armour can stop part of that damage.

So thinking aloud again, it's as if we need to add Damage Types in Traveller, very similar to DnD5E which has Bludgeon/Slashing/Cold/Fire etc.

To which Armour would need to be updated as to what resistances it has.

All in all this is very beneficial to the system, that way Laser Damage gets stopped by Reflec armour, but the old .45 won't. It's a big change, so again I welcome thoughts on this.

Cheers,
MBM

LordNanoc
January 7th, 2019, 06:23
First and foremost: thanks for your efforts. I have benn "off the grid" for a few days (being in Bad Ischl enjoying a few holidays.

So thinking aloud again, it's as if we need to add Damage Types in Traveller, very similar to DnD5E which has Bludgeon/Slashing/Cold/Fire etc.

To which Armour would need to be updated as to what resistances it has.

All in all this is very beneficial to the system, that way Laser Damage gets stopped by Reflec armour, but the old .45 won't. It's a big change, so again I welcome thoughts on this.

Cheers,
MBM

That part about damage types is true, but also for other kinds. There is armour that prevents kinetic damage (impacts), some prevent only laser damage (reflective armour), some prevent radiation damage...
So what you said about damage types sounds right to me.

cya.

MadBeardMan
January 9th, 2019, 01:06
First and foremost: thanks for your efforts. I have benn "off the grid" for a few days (being in Bad Ischl enjoying a few holidays.

That part about damage types is true, but also for other kinds. There is armour that prevents kinetic damage (impacts), some prevent only laser damage (reflective armour), some prevent radiation damage...
So what you said about damage types sounds right to me.

cya.

Damage Types will be added, going to add that to the wishlist, and start on it soon, because I need it in my game (one guy wears Reflec only)....

LordNanoc
January 9th, 2019, 20:45
Ok, I changed to "Test" and checked the PSI skills/talents... and found out, that I probably don't know exactly, how they work :D

I tried to add different talents to the Psionics tab and no matter what I try, it only adds one talent and it's the base talent. I.e. if I add "Pyrokinesis" i get "Telekinesis" shown. And no matter what else I add, there is only "Telekinesis" standing there at skill level 0.
Dunno if this is working as intended, but it looks like a bug to me ;)

esmdev
January 10th, 2019, 03:19
Ok, I changed to "Test" and checked the PSI skills/talents... and found out, that I probably don't know exactly, how they work :D

I tried to add different talents to the Psionics tab and no matter what I try, it only adds one talent and it's the base talent. I.e. if I add "Pyrokinesis" i get "Telekinesis" shown. And no matter what else I add, there is only "Telekinesis" standing there at skill level 0.

When you unlock a psionic skill you start that skill with a 0 rating. Like Telekinesis-0. Once you have the skill you have access to all the powers under that skill. Telekinesis is the skill you would roll for any of its offshoot powers.

MadBeardMan
January 10th, 2019, 07:47

As Emdev stated, there are talents and each talent has a list of abilities. The talent skill level is the base skill for any ability under it.

Part II of the Psionics will auto add the various abilities, they'll appear under the actions tab, so then you'll be able to roll an individual ability, ie 'Pyrokinesis'.

Cheers
MBM

LordNanoc
January 11th, 2019, 18:08
Ah. Ok ... Looking forward to that then ... :)