PDA

View Full Version : Running Fantasy Grounds on Windows Vista

DarkStar
June 23rd, 2006, 23:54
Yes, I know that Vista is in Beta 2 stage, but I grabbed it yesterday and decided to give it a try (as a matter of fact, I'm posting from my Windows Vista / Internet Explorer 7 right now ;P).

I was afraid to upgrade my current Windows XP installation with an unfinished, untested product, so I set up a virtual machine and installed it there. Unfortunately, the virtual machine has a virtual video card, obviously. ;) It doesn't have Direct3D support, it's just a basic, crappy SVGA card, like they used to be in the last century. ;) I installed FG, but couldn't run it due to video device initialization errors. Fantasy Grounds is one of the main apps I use, so it's almost a must it has to run on the new operating system.

Now, after all this rambling, here comes my question - has anyone of you installed and used Fantasy Grounds with Windows Vista Beta 2? Does it work?

I'd appreciate any information, I'm trying to check if my programs will work if I decide to switch to Vista for real.

WolfStar76
June 24th, 2006, 15:53
I haven't tried that yet, but I DO have my box set to dual-boot Vista.

I'll see if I have the installer handy and give it a go right now.

WolfStar76
June 24th, 2006, 16:14
Well, I just installed it and I seem to be able to host just fine, and I can create local characters.

I'm at work and behind a firewall, so I can't accept incoming connections, but the software itself seems solid on Vista.

DarkStar
June 24th, 2006, 16:24
I was concerned of graphics only, I don't suppose there would be a problem with networking and such. I have experienced problems with two Polish IM programs, which couldn't display menus (while they work in XP), so I was afraid there might be more problems with other applications.

I don't want to offtopic here, but I gotta ask when I can - what do you use to dual-boot Vista? If I create additional partition can I install Vista and leave my XP untouched? If I remember well, it was possible with Win98 + WinXP on the same machine (not that I left 98 on my HDD :P).

Virtualization is not necessarily the best way to try out Vista - it doesn't support real video card, so I don't have Aero Glass (even though Windows Vista Upgrade Advisor says my computer is capable of running every Vista feature) and the system is overally slow.

WolfStar76
June 27th, 2006, 16:17
I don't want to offtopic here, but I gotta ask when I can - what do you use to dual-boot Vista? If I create additional partition can I install Vista and leave my XP untouched? If I remember well, it was possible with Win98 + WinXP on the same machine (not that I left 98 on my HDD :P).

I used Partition Magic to do a non-destructive resize of my partition, then I just ran Vista install from the DVD.

I told it to create a new partition in the empty space, and it loads a (crappy) boot manager that gives a 30 second window to boot between "Microsoft Window" (Vista) and "Earlier Version of Windows".

There's a tool to rename those boot options, but mine doesn't work. ~shrug~ I'll probably replace the Vista boot manager with Boot Magic since that comes with Partition Magic.