PDA

View Full Version : Bringing maps to the forefront you already shared?

darkmaer
September 24th, 2018, 00:54
Hello, I'm sure this is already been asked, so sorry for bringing it up, but I wasn't getting anything from searching.

I play locally and noticed when I share stuff on the table screen I can't bring stuff I already shared to the forefront unless I unshare it and share it again.

For example, I bring up a battle map place them where they are on the map and all the sudden a particular creature that they haven't seen before. So I decided to grab a detailed image to show them what this new creature looks like.

Is there any way to bring the battle map back to the forefront? I don't really want to unshare the picture of the creature, so they could have it for reference. When I hit the battle map and share it again, I was hoping that it would pop to the forefront, but it doesn't. It only seems to come back up if it's not on the screen at all. I'm just trying to find a way that players don't have to mess with the table screen.

I'm really thinking about when the time comes that I do the gear room in the tomb of annihilation, It will be rather annoying unsharing and resharing as the gears move.

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2018, 01:38
I’m not entirely sure what the issue is. You can bring any window to the front by clicking on it. Unless your image that you shared fills your entire screen you should still see a part of the map underneath it. Even if you can’t see the map you can move the image out of the way like any window by clicking and dragging on the top of the window. You can also right click on any window or image and select minimise. You can also drag your map (the dragon head or whatever replaces it in the theme you use) into one of the hot keys. When you click on the hot key it will bring the map up.

You certainly don’t need to unshare anything.

LordEntrails
September 24th, 2018, 01:52
Mr. Z, I think he's talking about bringing a window to the front on the client/player instance, not on his own.

darkmaer, The players can always bring it to the front again like any window. As the GM, I think you can bring it to the front using the "Sync" option that is next to the share option. If this is a second instance running on the GM computer, you can just move to it and bring it to the front.

In general, the philosophy is the GM dictates what the players can and can not see, but not how the desktop is arranged. Some players like the map big, other to have it off in the corner, some hide it when not looking at it, etc. It's generally up to the players to manage what they are looking at.

damned
September 24th, 2018, 03:54
A handy tip for you and your players for battlemaps - if they double click on their portrait it will open the map their token is currently on.
You can do this also from the CT as GM.

Skillkoil
September 24th, 2018, 14:21
Another good tip for the list @damned - I stole this and added it to our sticky (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45418-Useful-shortcuts-and-tips-to-use-in-Fantasy-Grounds)! Thanks for the reminder Bidmaron!