PDA

View Full Version : [LFP] D&D 5e Homebrewed Campaign Setting, Heavy RP/Story-Oriented Monday 6PM EST

WildKnight
September 23rd, 2018, 19:03
Looking for 3 - 5 players for a story oriented, role-play heavy (probably 60-40 RP to combat, perhaps even 75 - 25...) campaign set in a homebrewed setting. It would run most Monday Nights (I'm a family man, so holidays, emergencies, and possibly a vacation or two would be exceptions) from 6PM till 10 or 11 PM EST. This means I'd like to be started playing by 6, so I would hope players would arrive early for any preliminary questions, socialization, etc. Voice is a must, and would be via Discord.

What I'm looking for in players: Players new to the system or role-playing games in general are very welcome in my games. I'm more interested in enthusiasm and cooperation (both with myself and with the other players) than I am in experience. Players should be more interested in cooperative storytelling than in building powerful characters. Power gamers and murder hobos have their place in gaming, but that place is not at my "table." I'm looking for players who are interested in playing characters of a generally heroic bent, as opposed to lone wolves or anti-heroes (or outright villains...), as well as players who are interested in becoming part of, and influencing in the long term, a campaign setting with decades of history.

About me as a DM: I've got more than two decades of experience, but by no means does that make me perfect, or even a really great DM, but it does mean that I've got a good idea of what works for me, and what doesn't. My games are typically plot driven (as opposed to character driven, so they're not sandboxes), but feature a strong element of character development, with each character having a minor through-plot of their own at least one point during the campaign. I use a combination of combat maps and theater of the mind, typically linked to how long I expect the battle to be (longer battles, set pieces, etc, will typically involve a map). I use very few random encounters and almost no randomly placed treasure. I will be using bits and pieces of published modules, repurposed for our campaign, so if you're familiar with the various published campaigns out there, expect to see maps & encounters that are familiar to you (though in different context).

What drives me as a DM is the cooperative storytelling element of the game, and I tend to focus much more on story than other elements of the game, but balance is an important focus for me as well.

About the setting; Jiorkar is a continent with thousands of years of history, largely dominated by the conflicts between the often petty gods, and their overreaches in attempting to "help" mortals. The setting was started in 2nd edition, and has some unique elements homebrewed by me, and deviates significantly from the published 5e material (for instance, there are no Tieflings, Aasimar, or Genasi in the setting because, for the most part, otherworldly beings are incapable of producing offspring with flesh-and-blood creatures). Dragons are rare and exceptionally powerful, and giants are all but extinct. Unlike most Dungeons & Dragons settings, Jiorkar doesn't have an established history of "professional adventurers" who earn a living by traveling to and looting ancient sites, etc, so PCs in most Jiorkar campaigns have ties to other people, locations, or organizations that drive them to their dangerous work.

About the campaign; At this point in the history of the continent, the surface of Jiorkar is little more than a loosely connected series of city-states, often with vast stretches of open, dangerous to travel land in-between them. The dwarves have their vast underground kingdom and the elves are unified under the Sun King in the Forest of Slumbering Dreams to the north, but for most, the luxury of a stable government is not a reality. Many are happy with the way things are, and are wary of new rulers, but there are those who believe that a new Empire must rise if culture is to resume its advancement.

This Campaign, entitled "Imperial March", focuses on the efforts of a secretive group to bring the light of civilization back to a world increasingly shrouded in darkness. The PCs would be swept up in this ongoing effort, and will have to make difficult decisions about what is best, and perhaps choose between themselves and the greater good...

j624
September 23rd, 2018, 19:46
I'm confused about what you mean by RP vs Story. How much combat or other "mechanical" aspects do you expect?

I'm not a murderhobo or a min/maxer, but I tend to enjoy the mechanical aspects of combat more than the character-interaction RP. I enjoy role-playing my character's choices, both in-game and in creation, more than their interactions, so an entire session of shopping/schmoozing/investigating is not as much fun.

WildKnight
September 23rd, 2018, 20:28
Sorry, that should read "RP to combat" (and does now that I've edited it)

j624
September 23rd, 2018, 20:41
Thanks for the update. I don't think it's a good fit for me then. I'm already in one RP-focused game and I think I'd like to find something more combat-focused for a second game.

Overdog
September 24th, 2018, 03:27
You sound a lot like me in my DMing style so I would be definitely interested. Let me know if you are still looking and when you are expecting to start. I have a lot of experience with FGs, Discord, and RPGs.

WildKnight
September 24th, 2018, 03:55
You sound a lot like me in my DMing style so I would be definitely interested. Let me know if you are still looking and when you are expecting to start. I have a lot of experience with FGs, Discord, and RPGs.

Basically as soon as I have enough players. I've got two younger guys that I've run games for in the past who are already interested. Does the day and time work for you?

Overdog
September 24th, 2018, 04:07
Basically as soon as I have enough players. I've got two younger guys that I've run games for in the past who are already interested. Does the day and time work for you?

It does.

wogle
September 24th, 2018, 04:32
I'm interested in this.
Besides your no-pseudo-outsiders rule, are there any other races disallowed? (specifically, I've been wanting to try a triton horizon walker ranger recently, but that pulls a race from Volo's and a class archetype from Xanathar's)

WildKnight
September 24th, 2018, 04:36
I'm interested in this.
Besides your no-pseudo-outsiders rule, are there any other races disallowed? (specifically, I've been wanting to try a triton horizon walker ranger recently, but that pulls a race from Volo's and a class archetype from Xanathar's)

Unfortunately, neither of those options are available. Tritons aren't really suitable PCs for Jiorkar, and the Horizon Walker couldn't exist at all, because one of the core concepts of the setting is that the gods, in an effort to keep the gods of other worlds from interfering, created an impenetrable barrier called the Wall Between Worlds, which makes planar travel extraordinarily difficult for mortals.

wogle
September 24th, 2018, 04:40
Ooh, homebrew lore and everything. Well, I'm still interested, that's just the current character itch I have, it's not a demand of mine.

WildKnight
September 24th, 2018, 04:43
Ooh, homebrew lore and everything. Well, I'm still interested, that's just the current character itch I have, it's not a demand of mine.

Yes, I'm sorry if that wasn't clear. Very little of the lore (other than broad stereotypes; dwarves are craftsmen and elves love nature) from the "core" D&D settings has been ported over. I've got a setting document that I'll share with everyone prior to the game, to look over and think about character concepts before we have a session zero.

Overdog
September 25th, 2018, 00:13
My schedule got full so I unfortunately cant join you all. Good Luck!

WildKnight
September 25th, 2018, 01:18
My schedule got full so I unfortunately cant join you all. Good Luck!

Unfortunate but understandable.

Eanelen
September 25th, 2018, 04:52
If you still have an opening for next session, I would be interested in joining. I just played my first 5E game yesterday and found the system interesting.

WildKnight
September 25th, 2018, 08:54
If you still have an opening for next session, I would be interested in joining. I just played my first 5E game yesterday and found the system interesting.

We haven't started yet, so still a good time to join up.

Eanelen
September 25th, 2018, 11:38
Excellent, just let me know what I need to do! if you have a document for character creation you can email me at [email protected] with it. :)

WildKnight
September 25th, 2018, 11:58
Excellent, just let me know what I need to do! if you have a document for character creation you can email me at [email protected] with it. :)

Sent

WildKnight
September 25th, 2018, 17:46

Its looking like I'm going to get enough players to make this happen, I'm waiting on final confirmation from a couple but its looking good. Do you have some way I can send you the setting document? I'm also probably getting together with another player on FG on Sunday to put his character together

WildKnight
September 25th, 2018, 17:49

I'm getting together with at least one of my players on Sunday to walk him through character creation and the Fantasy Grounds interface. Its certainly not mandatory, but if you're interested you'd be welcome.

Ravonaf
September 29th, 2018, 14:29
If you are still looking for players I'm definitely interested. 6PM EST on Monday's would be perfect for me. I'm new to FG and 5E but I'm an experienced roleplayer and your style of game looks to be exactly what I'm looking for. If you have a player drop out or if you need one more let me know.

Janitor
September 29th, 2018, 16:08
If there is any way I can convince you to let another player into the game, I'm rather interested. We seem to be on the same page when it comes to what sort of a game you are looking to run, and that I'm looking to play in, hopefully I can bring something interesting to the game, could I stop by the discord, or teamspeak you are using for that sunday session 0?

Toyamapierce
September 29th, 2018, 20:05
Hello, I am interested in joining in if you're still looking for another player. I am experienced in previous versions of D&D but 5e is still brand new to me. I have the 5e PH but still have not written up a single character or played in a 5e session yet.
What level would you be wanting any new characters to be? Just asking because if you're at a higher level I don't think I'd be a good fit yet just because I'm not familiar enough with 5e.
I could do Mondays at 6 est as I work 7-3 M-F.
Just as an FYI I typically lean toward running Rangers or Clerics but I have experience playing most any class (other than Bard).

WildKnight
September 30th, 2018, 00:58
Hello, I am interested in joining in if you're still looking for another player. I am experienced in previous versions of D&D but 5e is still brand new to me. I have the 5e PH but still have not written up a single character or played in a 5e session yet.
What level would you be wanting any new characters to be? Just asking because if you're at a higher level I don't think I'd be a good fit yet just because I'm not familiar enough with 5e.
I could do Mondays at 6 est as I work 7-3 M-F.
Just as an FYI I typically lean toward running Rangers or Clerics but I have experience playing most any class (other than Bard).

I'd absolutely love to have you in the game, but at this point I think I'm a couple of people over what I'd originally intended, just because in my experience in online games, a lot of players tend to not show up or drop the game pretty early on. If people don't show up Monday or we have a number of rapid drop-offs, and you're still available, I'd love to get you involved

Toyamapierce
September 30th, 2018, 01:05
Okay. On Monday do you want me to send you a message before the start time to see if there is a spot open?

parsleyfirefly
October 1st, 2018, 22:29
This is Dagny posting here so you have my fantasy grounds info. Right now I have RP ideas for a wizard or celestial warlock but I could do something else depending on the group.

WildKnight
October 1st, 2018, 22:44
This is Dagny posting here so you have my fantasy grounds info. Right now I have RP ideas for a wizard or celestial warlock but I could do something else depending on the group.

Hey Dagny 8)

tsukune aono
October 1st, 2018, 22:54
Hello,
I like to possibly join. I have plenty experience in pen and paper games dnd 1e, 2e, 3e, 3.5 and pathfinder 1e. I never played 5e and I admit I was one of those people that avidly went against it. But with time even the most suborn people can change even me lol. And now realize maybe I should give it a shoot.
So if your willing to teach me I be willing to give 100% in game. I will warn also I am usually more shy and such when I join a group but this quickly fades once i get to know everyone.
I am use to having rp even to point to write up a 3+ page back story (even though most gms don't want this)
All I ask is be patient with me when I learn a new system may take a few tries to click in my head. I am also not a book learner I learn best as I do the activity.
Please contact me here or mail me if you have any questions.

kerrigaj
October 3rd, 2018, 19:54
Hi, I love the concept and thoroughly enjoy story driven games. I'm currently playing in a Rolemaster campaign that is ~70:30 RP/Story and the whole group is having a blast (see Obsidian Portal page below). If you are still seeking players, please let me know. I'm motivated to keep the RP alive between sessions and have set up multiple Obsidian Portal sites to enable that, if it is of interest.

Played RP games since 1980. Yeah, I'm that old...

https://thepraiseofoldmen.obsidianportal.com

AgapeEris
October 4th, 2018, 01:00
Heya! New to FG! Love 5e, love homebrew, love time slot. if you need another player, I'd be very interested <3

TigersEye
October 6th, 2018, 04:37
I am really interested in your Imperial March campaign. I have a basic idea for a character from the brief description in your post. Aiduin has lived in the Forest of Slumbering Dreams his whole life. His life under the rule of the Sun King has given him many opportunities not granted to most. He started his tutelage to become a great historiographer but through his studies he discovered the darkness that has spread throughout the world. He has left his home in the north to help others. He doesn't quite know what that will entail yet.

Planning on a bard that focuses on recording history through songs.

I am a 20 year D&D vet. Played a few ones shots on FG and one short campaign. Let me know if you think I would be a good fit for your game.

lordcygnus
October 8th, 2018, 15:34
WildKnight nice reading that amazing setup!

If you have a slot for playing your campaign at some point, I'll be glad to join, also, a little info about myself:
31, use to be DM for my friends in a lot of games, but looking forward to learn 5e and FG altogether, open to new ideas, story driven adventures are my preferences, but if we are talking about combat, usually love the big epic ones, also, I'm almost always available =)

Valaeryn
October 8th, 2018, 23:54
I'm also available for this time slot if you could fit me in. I DM on Wednesdays in person but this would be my first Fantasy Grounds experience. Got a mic and a camera, for what it's worth. I tend to play "conscience" type characters and/or silver tongued sweettalkers. Classwise, generally Cleric, Bard, or Monk, but I've had a good bit of fun playing a Rogue/Battlemaster hybrid that was essentially a street orphan turned into a hired killer who fled his crime syndicate for a life of redemption. He died though. T_T

WildKnight
October 9th, 2018, 11:54
At this time, the game is full. If the drop-off rate on FG is similar to what I experienced on Roll20, I'll be recruiting again soonish

Aethermancer
October 10th, 2018, 03:57
Still looking for players? I'm interested. The day and time are perfect for me. I've been playing RPGs since the 80's and enjoy heavy role-playing campaigns. I've have some experience with Roll20 and Discord but no FG as of yet. I can play pretty much any class/race but I excel at dwarves,wizards and utility characters.

WildKnight
January 3rd, 2019, 23:15
I'm bumping this because I've just had a key player have to leave the game due to a change in his real life schedule. I'm looking to add one or two players at this time. Please thoroughly read the original post and make sure you understand what this game is about to make sure you're really interested. We've got a good group, and I'm concerned about upsetting the dynamic, but I'm sure there are tons of great role-players out there who would only improve our game by their presence.

Let me know if you think that's you.

(Note: This game uses lots of homebrew material, and while I won't expect players to understand every aspect of the setting going in, I am looking for players who are flexible and not beholden to the "built in lore" associated with races, monsters, etc)

lordcygnus
January 3rd, 2019, 23:27
I'm bumping this because I've just had a key player have to leave the game due to a change in his real life schedule. I'm looking to add one or two players at this time. Please thoroughly read the original post and make sure you understand what this game is about to make sure you're really interested. We've got a good group, and I'm concerned about upsetting the dynamic, but I'm sure there are tons of great role-players out there who would only improve our game by their presence.

Let me know if you think that's you.

(Note: This game uses lots of homebrew material, and while I won't expect players to understand every aspect of the setting going in, I am looking for players who are flexible and not beholden to the "built in lore" associated with races, monsters, etc)

I'm still available for the run, let me know if you need something from me to start right away, I've got plenty of time to prepare anything for the next session whenever that might be.

bbyrd52
January 4th, 2019, 01:16
I'm very interested in joining! I've been looking for a more RP focused table. Please let me know if that will be possible