PDA

View Full Version : Item: Identification option missing from Options.

Skyjoos
September 22nd, 2018, 15:59
If I start a new campaign I don't appear to have the Item: Identification option available. Am I missing something?

damned
September 22nd, 2018, 16:30
If I start a new campaign I don't appear to have the Item: Identification option available. Am I missing something?

Its now done item by item or npc by npc.

Skyjoos
September 22nd, 2018, 16:43
Thanks for the feedback. Currently all items are shared. How do I set it so that by default they are all unidentified?

damned
September 22nd, 2018, 16:46
Thanks for the feedback. Currently all items are shared. How do I set it so that by default they are all unidentified?

Im not sure that you can.

Zacchaeus
September 22nd, 2018, 17:44

You can't identify or unidentify items globally - only one at a time. When you say all items are shared, what items do you speak of. Apart from things in the PHB no items would or should be shared globally.

Skyjoos
September 22nd, 2018, 18:54
I should have said identified not shared. Currently all items are identified and I have to set them to unidentified every time I share them.

Zacchaeus
September 22nd, 2018, 20:32
That's correct. The only exception is that magic items in the DMG default to not identified.

Skyjoos
September 24th, 2018, 19:12
Darn. Guess I'll just have to remeber to keep clicking them windows before I share anything. Anyway, thanks for the feedback. It's appreciated.

Nylanfs
September 24th, 2018, 19:17
If the DMG is setting to identify, try resetting the DMG perhaps?

Zacchaeus
September 24th, 2018, 20:52
If the DMG is setting to identify, try resetting the DMG perhaps?

The other way around. The DMG magic items are by default unidentified and no amount of resetting will change that.

Nylanfs
September 25th, 2018, 03:18
I should have said identified not shared. Currently all items are identified and I have to set them to unidentified every time I share them.

He is saying the items are identified, an I wasn't sure which items he was talking about, mundane items from the PHB? DMG? the adventure module?

Skillkoil
September 25th, 2018, 17:45
Yeah everything outside of Magic Items from the DMG (And some Adventure Modules)will show identified. You can now also have your NPC's in your encounters show up unidentified, which is nice. Especially if you change their token, it keeps your players that have the MM memorized from being tempted to meta the monsters and their abilities/weaknesses.

azamboni
October 20th, 2018, 23:42
After a no-sleep night, I've found how to "force" objects to be "unidentified"

You need to edit the XML of the module and change the category of the XML node <item> to:

<category name="D&#38;D Dungeon Master's Guide" baseicon="0" decalicon="0">

In this way when you send items to the Party Sheet, something behind force the item to be unidentified.

This worked for me because I'm creating my own module, I don't know if you can do it for an "encrypted" module.

Andraax
October 20th, 2018, 23:50
Why don't you just click the "identified" icon to make it unidentified before you export the module? That's all I do...

azamboni
October 20th, 2018, 23:54
I've created a module for cyberpunk drugs through a script...I've hundreds of items...clicking on all can be frustrating...but in case of few objects that's a nice catch sir!

Moon Wizard
October 21st, 2018, 00:09
Or you can add a tag to each item record:
<isidentified type="number">0</isidentified>

This allows you to specify identification state of a module item record explicitly.

Regards,
JPG

Ludd_G
December 1st, 2018, 16:29
Is there any chance that a default toggle (indentified/unidentified) could be added to the options menu? I'd much rather accidently share something I don't need to keep secret in an unidentified state, than share something that should be secret having forgotten to turn ID off (and yes, I likely will forget, D'oh! :o )

Cheers, Simon

Zacchaeus
December 1st, 2018, 16:54
Is there any chance that a default toggle (indentified/unidentified) could be added to the options menu? I'd much rather accidently share something I don't need to keep secret in an unidentified state, than share something that should be secret having forgotten to turn ID off (and yes, I likely will forget, D'oh! :o )

Cheers, Simon

The reason things are now done the way they are now was in part to remove the toggle that existed in options to show or hide the identification of items, so I am fairly confident that such a thing won’t go back in. There is no solution to this that will please everyone.

Ludd_G
December 1st, 2018, 17:01
Hi,

Cheers for replying, it's appreciated, and really I'm not trying to be argumentative, but surely (Don't call me Shirley! :D) having an option to toggle default behaviour (identified/unidentified/as per object) is the definition of pleasing everyone?

Out of curiosity what was the reasoning behind removing the previous toggle? It can't be about complexity as we all know working in FG is so rewarding because of it's options and relative complexity?

Zacchaeus
December 1st, 2018, 20:34
Hi,
Out of curiosity what was the reasoning behind removing the previous toggle? It can't be about complexity as we all know working in FG is so rewarding because of it's options and relative complexity?

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44996-5e-item-identification-toggle&p=399582&viewfull=1#post399582