PDA

View Full Version : Modifiers

goodmanje
September 22nd, 2018, 11:15
I noticed the modifiers in the ruleset include Partial Cover, Cover, and Sup Cover. The Starfinder rules have four types of cover, Soft, Partial, Improved, and Total. Just thought I'd point that out as it may cause confusion.

Blahness98
September 22nd, 2018, 13:44
While the levels are named different, they provide the same mechanical effects (granted I haven't checked lately if they are providing the bonus to dex). PCOVER (ATK: -2; SAVE: 1, reflex) is the same as partial cover. COVER (ATK: -4; SAVE: 2, reflex) is the same as improved and can also be used for soft cover. If you don't want to grant the dex bonus, you can create your own modifier in the modifier's box called Soft Cover; ATK: -4 and drop it on people as necessary and turn it on and off as needed as players move and flank. SCOVER (ATK: -8; SAVE: 4, reflex) is the greater form of improved cover. Total cover is not an effect since the target cannot be hit at all per the combat rules.

While I agree the buttons should be renamed, it might not be high up on the list as other bugs are getting swatted. If you drop this into the bug thread, Russ would be aware of it and might get a quick fix in if it is easy.

stephan_
September 22nd, 2018, 21:05
I usually tell my players to take a penalty to their attack roll (e.g. -4) instead of applying the modifier and increasing the AC. Functionally equivalent but easier to manage in my opinion.

Soft cover does not grant a bonus to Reflex safes but it doesn't really matter too much.