PDA

View Full Version : Really?

buckarama
September 19th, 2018, 16:46
Anyone else here thing this isn't even complete? I mean it's either extremely broken or not done at all. I look at any D&D add on for FG and it's got a lot of things. In BRP I can't even get the PC's to retain their inventory on a consistent basis. Might as well use pen and paper and let the party just roll the dice.

Anything constructive is years old, either support this product or don't. This is half @SSED and a total shame so far. I feel as though my $30 was taken for an unfinished and unsupported software.

Man even if you just made the bad guys targetable and kept track of the damage like in E5 - it MIGHT make it worth the effort.

IDK maybe I'm missing something.

SirGraystone
September 19th, 2018, 17:13
Unless I'm mistaken, most rulesets are not made by Fantasy Grounds, they are made by the game developer (or someone paid by that developer) so as soon as Chaosium decide to invest some money to have a new ruleset it will be updated.

ddavison
September 19th, 2018, 19:24
There should be a user manual for BRP that can be located in your docs folder.

Launch Fantasy Grounds and click on the folder icon to open your Data Folder.
Navigate to the docs folder and find the Basic Roleplaying for Fantasy Grounds.pdf

Despite having a user manual, this is a very old ruleset and it doesn't have nearly the level of support of our more modern rulesets. Shoot a note over to [email protected] if you would like a refund.

Talyn
September 19th, 2018, 19:25
That's correct, none of the retail rulesets are produced by SmiteWorks. The only time one of the SmiteWorks programmers steps in to hotfix anything is if something breaks and causes errors. From what I've been repeatedly told, the BRP ruleset has not had an active developer for some time.

5E is a newer ruleset and has a lot of bells and whistles which never even existed back when BRP was developed, and I know that's not what you want to hear.

The GMs I've heard talk in the forums or on the Discord say they can get by and play games just fine, it's just significantly less automated than you'd be accustomed to if you use 5E (or Savage Worlds for that matter) as your point of reference.

As always, if you are unsatisfied with any product, contact support (at) fantasygrounds.com within 30 days for a full refund, no questions asked.

(Doug beat me to the punch with the support email)

Trenloe
September 19th, 2018, 19:34
In BRP I can't even get the PC's to retain their inventory on a consistent basis.
And if you have any issues with *broken* functionality, please report it in the House of Healing.

Targas
September 22nd, 2018, 07:43
The issue might come as well from game developers not getting paid doing their patching, therefore they could loose interest in maintaining rulesets, if they are no longer enthusiastic gamers of this ruleset.... I wonder how Microsoft manages it...

Mac77
September 28th, 2018, 07:33
I'm fairly new to BRP but have a question about the portraits. I made a map to test it out and in the RMC, the portraits look fine but in BRP they are very blurry. Not sure what it could be. I made a few of my own but alas the same result.

damned
September 28th, 2018, 08:42
Mac77 a little more info please.
What resolution is your screen?
Are you doing any scaling?
Do you have any overlays running?
Can you post a screenshot?

Mac77
September 28th, 2018, 09:04
My Screen resolution is 1920x1080
No scaling
Not sure what overlays are sorry. Have included a screenshot, I think I uploaded it ok.
Thank you. 24753

Trenloe
September 28th, 2018, 09:07
My Screen resolution is 1920x1080
No scaling
Not sure what overlays are sorry. Have included a screenshot, I think I uploaded it ok.
Thank you. 24753
What’s the resolution of that map? How many pixels per hex? How are you resizing the tokens - manually for each token or using token scale lock?

Mac77
September 28th, 2018, 09:19
I'm not to much of a whiz on the PC so I hope my answers are correct.
Resolution 96 dpi.
Pixels per hex 50- If you mean thats what I size the hex to when in game.
Resizing tokens manually.
Cheers.

Trenloe
September 28th, 2018, 09:21
Try token scaling on the map itself. See the paragraph starting "In older rulesets..." here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Scaling

Mac77
September 28th, 2018, 09:28
Ok, will try that thanks. The tokens do seem blurry as soon as I place them on the map but will give it a go cheers.

Mac77
September 29th, 2018, 07:43

Scaling does not seem to work but tokens appear unaffected when I drag them onto the map. I have tried varies maps.
Wondering if it could be the BRP System. Also is there a masking option?

damned
September 29th, 2018, 08:20
If you make your hexes 40px instead of 50 what does that do?

Mac77
September 29th, 2018, 08:56
Makes no difference. I tried the same thing on RMC & it came out fine. 24765
Bit of a mystery.

Trenloe
September 29th, 2018, 10:29
Scaling does not seem to work but tokens appear unaffected when I drag them onto the map. I have tried varies maps.
This doesn't look like you've followed the instructions I linked to fully.

"In older rulesets or when a grid is not defined, the map-to-token scale is not set automatically. Use the mouse wheel to zoom the map until the tokens are the right scale relative to the map; then right click on a token, and select the Lock Token Scale menu option. The map-to-token scale can be released using the same method."

Remove all current tokens. Place one token on the map and then using the mouse-wheel zoom the map (not the token) until the token matches the size of the grid. Then right-click on that token and select "Lock token scale".

Here's an example of the result when I follow this process on a map with 50 pixel hexes:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=24766

Also is there a masking option?
Yes - through the "layers" right-click menu. Or you can enable the "Show Image Toolbars" preference - see page 15 of the BRP user guide.

Mac77
September 29th, 2018, 21:44
Sorry Trenloe I said tokens when I should have said portraits. The above works fine, I did try it, but here is an example of portraits & tokens from BRP & Rolemaster. This is what comes out for me anyway. Got the scaling thanks. 24772 24773

Trenloe
September 29th, 2018, 21:57
Sorry Trenloe I said tokens when I should have said portraits.
Ah, OK - yeah, that is different in the BRP ruleset. It looks like PC tokens created from the portrait is very small - 26x26 pixels!

All I can suggest is also making normal sized tokens from the portrait files, and then add these to the token field in the combat tracker (drag/drop over the auto populated token) and then drag that newly added token from the CT to the map. This will use the resolution of the new token, not the token auto generated to 26x26 from the portrait.

Mac77
September 29th, 2018, 22:03
Alrighty, thank you very much. I will get on to that.

i3ullseye
January 29th, 2019, 20:44
First, Kudos to you guys being so responsive to a post on an undersupported rule set like this. Shows a lot about how much time and effort you guys put into FG.

Second, to Buckarama (or anyone else), have you considered just getting the latest Call of Cthulhu? The 7th edition rules really do streamline/fix quite a few things. And yeah, nothing is as automated as D&D 5E, but that's the big player. Biggest money Biggest audience. But if you just need a decent rule system with a nice character sheet, combat tracker, etc.... CoC is BRP. Just ignore sanity and monsters and have at it.

Mac77
January 30th, 2019, 04:40
That is a great idea, I will be getting it on the weekend. Good stuff thank you.

Mac77
February 7th, 2019, 06:13
Does anyone know what causes the following error on Call of Cthulh? :

Ruleset Error: subwindow: Could not find windowclass () for control (sub) in windowclass (imagebackpanel)
Ruleset Error: subwindow: Could not find windowclass () for control (sub) in windowclass (imagefullpanel)
Runtime Notice: s'getCurrentHostColors: '
Runtime Notice: s'getCurrentHostColors: ' | s'GM' | s'ff00ff00' | bTRUE
Runtime Notice: s'getCurrentHostColors: ' | s'ff00ff00' | bTRUE
Runtime Notice: s'setDiceColor: ' | s'ff00ff00' | bTRUE

Moon Wizard
February 7th, 2019, 06:51
That looks like you perhaps have an unpacked version of the CoreRPG ruleset, or the Call of Cthulhu ruleset, in your rulesets subfolder within the FG data folder.
Or you are using an extension which is not compatible with the latest version.

Try disabling all extensions for your campaign first. If still an issue, then check your FG data folder.

Regards,
JPG

damned
February 7th, 2019, 06:53
Does anyone know what causes the following error on Call of Cthulh? :

Ruleset Error: subwindow: Could not find windowclass () for control (sub) in windowclass (imagebackpanel)
Ruleset Error: subwindow: Could not find windowclass () for control (sub) in windowclass (imagefullpanel)
Runtime Notice: s'getCurrentHostColors: '
Runtime Notice: s'getCurrentHostColors: ' | s'GM' | s'ff00ff00' | bTRUE
Runtime Notice: s'getCurrentHostColors: ' | s'ff00ff00' | bTRUE
Runtime Notice: s'setDiceColor: ' | s'ff00ff00' | bTRUE

Why would you post a Call of Cthulhu question in a thread about Basic Roleplaying?

It would be helpful if you were to provide some context.
Call of Cthulhu 6E or 7E?
What were you doing when this occurred?
Is this happening on startup?
What version of CoreRPG is listed in chat?
What version of Call of Cthulhu is listed in chat?