PDA

View Full Version : Mac Connection Problems

ckrichter
September 19th, 2018, 05:19
I have been playing in a game for a few months now and have had some issues with Fantasy Grounds. Previously, it was with just getting the application to open at all. I eventually figure that out, and was able to successfully join my group's game. Two weeks ago, without changing anything on my end, except running the update to FG that I was prompted to do, I tried to join our game, and was met with a non-loading "connecting" bar. It eventually timed out and said unable to join host. I restarted my computer (has helped in the past), made sure I had the right alias, tried both the internal and external IP addresses supplied by the GM, and have still been unable to get anything.

Any help would be appreciated by me and my group so they can stop sending me screen shots of maps over Slack.

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 07:47
ckrichter you may want to try clearing your cache. It is this button on your join game shown below.

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 07:57
You may also want to ask your GM to unshare any images / maps after your group is finished with them and ask how many tokens he has in his shared folder. It could be causing memory issues for your machine that is causing the connection issue.

Zacchaeus
September 19th, 2018, 11:09
If you are having an issue connecting to a host then the issue is almost always with the host rather than the client. If, however, other people can connect to the host and only you cannot then the issue does lie at your end. Make sure that you have added an exception to any AV that you use (don't know if that applied to macs) and that you have no filters set on your router (such as parental controls and stuff like that). Obviously entering the correct alias is essential or if you use it the hosts external IP address (You won't use the internal IP address unless you are on the same network as the host).

ckrichter
September 19th, 2018, 19:56
Some combination of me clearing out my cache and the GM unsharing maps and such allowed me to get in using the Alias, but not with either the internal or external IP addresses. But I did succeed in logging in!

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 19:59
I'm glad you were able to get in. It seems that Macs are a little more touchy when it comes to the cache and memory usage. Just try it again if this happens in the future.

Bidmaron
September 19th, 2018, 21:04
Maybe his wine or virtual machine is set up with too low a memory model? I use parallels and I know you could set that up with too small memory if you aren’t careful.

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 21:06
Yeah there are lots of post about using WINE with fantasy grounds. Here is a post comparing WINE and Parallels that may be of use. HERE (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34251-Calling-all-Mac-Users-Parallels-vs-Wine)