PDA

View Full Version : How to Sketch Map of a small village

StylinLP38
September 18th, 2018, 23:21
Hello, I am new to GIMP and took one basic training class. I want to create a Sketch Map of a small village for my D&D game on Fantasy Grounds. But cannot seem to find artwork of medieval houses/buildings to from top down to populate the town. Also all other top down objects. I have Sketchy Cartographer brushes I downloaded and installed from Deviant Art website. But none of those are top down. Would these objects be brushes or stamps or something else? Premade house from rooftop. Any recommendations?

Also, I need to make hill sides and dirt streets and paths. Is there a set of textures I can find?

Trenloe
September 18th, 2018, 23:25
https://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/vccindex.htm

And also the other two collections on that website - CSUAC and Bogies mapping objects.

StylinLP38
September 18th, 2018, 23:37
Awesome! Vintyri Cartographic Collection looks good. Thank you

StylinLP38
September 18th, 2018, 23:44
Question: Do people load ALL their thousands of brushes at same time or do they only load the ones they need for each project? If so, how do you organize that. Because all I do is copy paste the .abr file into the GIMP brushes folder..

C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\share\gimp\2.0\brushes\Sketchy-Cartography-Brushes.abr

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 00:39
I set up brush "sets" and depending on what I am making I will switch to the set that I think will give me what I need. Granted, some brushes are in every set.

StylinLP38
September 19th, 2018, 02:30
OK down loaded all those brushed and textures. It seems I will need farm fields. the kind I saw in CC3+. Not just textures but they are stamps. I tried unsuccessfully searching google and Deviant Art

StylinLP38
September 22nd, 2018, 04:58
Update on GIMP. This is the best advice anyone will ever here on here. Dont bother. It is a STEEP learning curve and I took Photoshop 4 in college in 1990. Ive been trying to build this outdoor village map for a week and its a nightmare. Just stick to one of the polished easier products. I am going to try them next.

LordEntrails
September 22nd, 2018, 05:13
If you can afford it, CC3+ w/ CD3 (and while your at it DD3) will get you going in 4-6 hours. Install, do the first turorial or two , then do you map. Easy peezy.

Then you can start looking for more symbols (what PSP calls brushes). There is a post on the PF forums with a link to installers for Vintyri, Bogie, and Dunjinni collections. That will get you tens of thousands of symbols. Then you can get the CC Annuals or Symbol Set add-ons. when you want more.

Then you can start making your own symbols in CC or in Gimp, etc.

EDIT: oh, and don't try to use CC like PSP or Gimp. It is a CAD program and behaves very differently. Hence do the tutorials!

damned
September 22nd, 2018, 05:14
Update on GIMP. This is the best advice anyone will ever here on here. Dont bother. It is a STEEP learning curve and I took Photoshop 4 in college in 1990. Ive been trying to build this outdoor village map for a week and its a nightmare. Just stick to one of the polished easier products. I am going to try them next.

How about we change that advice to:

GiMP is a very feature rich program with many, many options. You can make amazing artwork and incredible image manipulations once you learn how to use it.

StylinLP38
September 23rd, 2018, 00:43
I just watched this excellent Tuturial video and it helped a lot understand layers.

GIMP Basics 2018: Intro to Layers and Advanced Layers (GIMP 2.10.4)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCyBF0NwIDU

madman
September 23rd, 2018, 01:50
You have to learn to drive before someone will lend you their car.
GIMP "IS" a great program, IMHO Photoshop is better. It will do what you want it to.
Just watch some of the videos on youtube, put some time into it. (You must have forgoten what you learned back then.)

Madman..

StylinLP38
September 27th, 2018, 00:05
Anyone have a link to some nice top down Tree's and Bushes brushes?

Skillkoil
September 27th, 2018, 04:49
I found a pretty good free resource for trees and bushes here. (https://opengameart.org/content/trees-and-bushes) I hope this helps!

missed the brushes part.. thought you were looking for assets.. my bad!

Trenloe
September 27th, 2018, 16:12
Anyone have a link to some nice top down Tree's and Bushes brushes?
See the CSUAC collection in the link I provided in post #2 - there are lots in there. The other 2 collections on that site have some as well. Those 3 collections are always a great place to start looking for mapping symbols/brushes.

The main page is here: https://www.vintyri.org/vintyri/index.htm