PDA

View Full Version : Error when rating a Blog.

Skillkoil
September 18th, 2018, 23:17
I posted this here instead of house of healing since it deals with the forums and not the program.

When I try to rate a blog it gives me the following error message. Anyone have info on why this happens or how I can fix it?

This happens after I choose a star number and click the "Vote Now" button.

Zacchaeus
September 19th, 2018, 00:17
I just rated one (wasn’t aware you could) and didn’t get an error. I’m on a tablet so I imagine the browser is Chrome or whatever the Apple thing is called. Might be something to do with the browser you are using perhaps.

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 00:28
Apple is Safari but I get what you are saying. I'm on a Windows 10 PC with Chrome as the browser and I get that error message. I will try a different browser and see if that works.

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 00:35
Tried using Microsoft Edge. Got same error but looks a little different. I think I remember when the Blogs were just started some of us were added as "Bloggers". Does it have something to do with accesss? I think your moderator status allows you to do pretty much anything.

Zacchaeus
September 19th, 2018, 01:29
I dunno. I’ve never really looked at blogs. But I don’t think rating a blog would have anything to do with moderating the forums. After all anyone can rate a post so I would imagine rating a blog comes into the same sort of category as that. So it’s a strange one. I haven’t seen it reported before either. Maybe you’re the first to rate one.

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 01:31
*SHRUGS*

People have rated my Blog before. I don't know who did it, but I see the stars above the first Blog Post I made. Who knows buddy... It is just a weird one I guess.

Mortar
September 19th, 2018, 11:14
I am on Chrome and Win10, I can rate a blog with no errors.

Trenloe
September 19th, 2018, 11:20
@Skillkoil - just guessing here... The FG website tracks the IP address of anyone posting, interacting on the website. To allow for blocking spammers, etc.. The error suggests that the software can't get an IP address for you. Are you trying from a location that might try to mask your IP address? Work, using a VPN, etc..

ddavison
September 19th, 2018, 14:35
It is referencing an ip address as missing. Do you happen to be using a VPN or any other software that might be masking or hiding your ip address? I suspect there is a built in feature for vbulletin (the forum software we use) that requires an IP address for some reason.

damned
September 19th, 2018, 15:08
you cant really not present an ip address.
you can hide your current/actual address but only by using another ip address.
vbulletin also seems to be picking up his cable ip ok too...

Trenloe
September 19th, 2018, 15:10
vbulletin also seems to be picking up his cable ip ok too...
Yeah, but it is an IPv6 address. So maybe the blog side doesn't recognise that?

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 15:11
No, I'm posting from my house through a standard cable modem. I dunno why it doesn't like me. I can do everything else on it but rate a blog.

Trenloe
September 19th, 2018, 15:12
No, I'm posting from my house through a standard cable modem. I dunno why it doesn't like me. I can do everything else on it but rate a blog.
Do you have an IPv4 WAN IP addres on your router or just IPv6?

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 15:17
Yes I do

damned
September 19th, 2018, 15:17
Where do you see the 6 address?
I do think its quote likely that there was some sort of ipv6 glitch - maybe cloudflare getting involved.
The User Manager definitely shows an IPv4 Address for him but maybe the Blog was connecting over 6?

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 15:23
So apparently my real IPv4 isn't showing up on Vbulletin. Mine starts with 65 and the one you guys see starts with a 7. Dunno!!!

Trenloe
September 19th, 2018, 15:25
Where do you see the 6 address?
I have the "IP" button under people's posts, so I can work out where people are from and ban all posts from Sunderland. It shows 2606:<plus 4 more hex codes) for Skillkoil's posts.

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 15:30
I have the "IP" button under people's posts, so I can work out where people are from and ban all posts from Sunderland. It shows 2606:<plus 4 more hex codes) for Skillkoil's posts.

Yeah that is my IPv6

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 15:32
My WAN Connection type is set to DHCP. Maybe that is the issue?

Zacchaeus
September 19th, 2018, 16:21
i have the "ip" button under people's posts, so i can work out where people are from and ban all posts from sunderland.

rofl