PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder 2nd Edition Playtest, Monsters, Effects, and More

Elihu
September 18th, 2018, 20:50
This Thread was made to consolidate some of my developed features for the PF2 Ruleset. I am asking for others to pitch in and share what they have collected thus far. NPC's, effects etc. The collected effects will be on this thread. As of now I have all the NPCs for Part 2 The Lost Star . I am in the process of making the NPCs for Part 3, In Pale Mountain’s Shadow. I can share those NPCs just PM me. Please share any effects your group has found helpful. Thanks. Also coming up this fall I will be GMing a PF2 OSR-style, Medieval Campaign from 1-20th level, so I will be putting many other NPC's from the bestiary into my campaign.

Trenloe
September 18th, 2018, 21:03
Just a note, if you haven't seen what I've posted elsewhere. Effects have not been developed in the PFRPG2 ruleset yet. You can make some assumptions on basic effects (ATK, DMG, and similar) but I can't promise that what is there in the 3.5E/PFRPG ruleset will remain in the PFRPG2 ruleset. So please keep this in mind, and don't shout at me if/when they do! :)

Elihu
September 18th, 2018, 21:05
Just a note, if you haven't seen what I've posted elsewhere. Effects have not been developed in the PFRPG2 ruleset yet. You can make some assumptions on basic effects (ATK, DMG, and similar) but I can't promise that what is there in the 3.5E/PFRPG ruleset will remain in the PFRPG2 ruleset. So please keep this in mind, and don't shout at me if/when they do! :)

No Problem, I realize we are operating in a state of chaos, and constant change. I am not really overextending myself much, the NPCs I made only have like 7 or 8 entries filled in like HP ACs, Saves, Attack Lines, skills/ init, lvl, ability scores, SA.

On another note do you think it is possible to make an Elite effect for monsters? page 22 of Bestiary.

Trenloe
September 18th, 2018, 21:19
On another note do you think it is possible to make an Elite effect for monsters? page 22 of Bestiary.
Mostly. HP and DCs aren't covered by the existing PFRPG effects.

UltimateGM
September 28th, 2018, 13:31
With the recent update on Immunities, weaknesses, resistances, and persistent damage? How are these effects setup or should I say the syntax? I know resistances aren't currently working just looking for some examples or are there monsters in Doomsday Dawn that could give me an idea on how some of these effects are setup? Thanks!

Trenloe
September 28th, 2018, 13:56
With the recent update on Immunities, weaknesses, resistances, and persistent damage? How are these effects setup or should I say the syntax? I know resistances aren't currently working just looking for some examples or are there monsters in Doomsday Dawn that could give me an idea on how some of these effects are setup? Thanks!
FG parses the data stored in the HP abilities, Resistances, Weaknesses and immunities fields as is and creates the relevant effects automatically when the NPC is added to the Combat Tracker. I'm designing it where it will take standard Paizo syntax wherever possible. So you can try dragging one of the creatures from Doomsday Dawn that has resistances, weaknesses and/or immunities - which are just direct copy/paste entries from the Playtest Bestiary.

Resistances work fine to a point, as long as there isn't an "(except XXX)" entry in the resistances. There's also an issue with "cold iron" at present. These will all be fixed soon - hopefully in the next release.

UltimateGM
October 2nd, 2018, 17:28
I have been using things like fatigue for the barbarian. This is because the barbarian becomes fatigued after rage and his first level of fatigue is 1 then it can progress as he continues to take actions. The following is a list that I use so far:

Fatigue 1; AC: -1; SAVE: -1
Fatigue 2; AC: -2; SAVE: -2
Fatigue 3; AC: -3; SAVE: -3
Fatigue 4: AC: -4; SAVE: -4

I also had some issues with encumbrance (not sure if this is the proper syntax)
Encumbered; SPEED: -10 feet; SKILL: -2 strength, dexterity

Abilities and Conditions
Flat-footed; AC: -2
Forbidding Ward; AC: 1
Inspiring Courage; DMG: 1
Rage; DMG: 2; AC: -1; HP: 3
Total Cover; AC: 4

These were things that came up often or that I would know I would use so I quickly put them together. Again the syntax on some of these could be incorrect but I have tested a few.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2018, 17:32
The effects subsystem will be under constant development. I’m updating the effects page as I go along.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/PFRPG2_Effects#Modifiers

This is correct to release 3b - hopefully out today.

UltimateGM
October 2nd, 2018, 17:42
So it would be something like WEAK: acid not WEAK++: acid. I am guessing the ++ is for the notes reference. Thanks Trenloe!

A couple of things: will there be the ability to have a flat check effect that could be dropped onto a creature that may be hidden within darkness? And is there a way to indent creatures who have already taken their turn on the combat tracker since the rules state that monsters can go in any initiative order? So for instance I rolled a 15 for a group of five gnolls. On the first round the gnolls move into position to attack. On the second round since the gnolls have a commander gnoll 2 is ordered to take a flanking position behind character one which would skip gnoll 1 momentarily. Since the initiative tracker bypasses gnoll one it would be easy for a GM to forget that gnoll 1 has not went yet (I know this could be the GMs problem just curious if it was possible and I know it would be down the list of things that need done. I am just curious is all I really need to learn how to code :p)

Edit: Typos

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2018, 18:29
So it would be something like WEAK: acid not WEAK++: acid. I am guessing the ++ is for the notes reference.
The ++ indicates a new or changed entry from the standard PF effects, you're correct that it is not part of the code. It's mentioned at the top of the page, I'll change it to bold... :)

A couple of things: will there be the ability to have a flat check effect that could be dropped onto a creature that may be hidden within darkness?
It's essentially there now using the CONC (20% miss chance) and TCONC (50% miss chance) effects. These will be changed in name to match the PFRPG2 naming and changed to a d20 roll - but the miss chance remains the same DC 5 = 20%, DC 11 = 50%.

And is there a way to indent creatures who have already taken their turn on the combat tracker since the rules state that monsters can go in any initiative order? So for instance I rolled a 15 for a group of five gnolls. On the first round the gnolls move into position to attack. On the second round since the gnolls have a commander gnoll 2 is ordered to take a flanking position behind character one which would skip gnoll 1 momentarily. Since the initiative tracker bypasses gnoll one it would be easy for a GM to forget that gnoll 1 has not went yet (I know this could be the GMs problem just curious if it was possible and I know it would be down the list of things that need done.
There's nothing like that now that I'm aware of. This is something that I think should come through the CoreRPG code - as many rulesets could make use of it.