PDA

View Full Version : Adding Encounters to Maps

shikage
September 17th, 2018, 19:10
This may not be specific to PF2 but incase it is I am posting in here for now. Feel free to move as appropriate Mods.

I am setting up a new PF2 adventure for the first time and I am trying to layout some encounters on a map. I am largely following methods I've seen posted here for doing this but I am uncertain if it is working properly.

Here are my steps:
1. Copy creatures from playtest bestiary module into my campaign
2. Add a token to the creature
3. Create a new encounter in my campaign
4. Drag and drop creature into the encounter
5. Open the map from images & maps
6. Drag and drop creature from the encounter onto the map

It was my understanding from some posts (though they may have been quite old) that once doing this, if I close the encounter the creatures should not be visible anymore but they are still there. Additionally, they are not faded out as if they would not be visible to players.

So, I suppose my questions would be does this work in the PF2 ruleset (I suspect it does and is standard part of CoreRPG ruleset) and if so, am I missing some necessary steps for setting this up? I'd like to have my encounters pre-placed so I can just open the encounter from the story entry and populate the combat tracker but not necessarily have these creatures immediately visible to the players as some may be hidden and lurking about or may be traps/hazards.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help

UltimateGM
September 17th, 2018, 19:57
You might be dropping the creature from the top left corner instead of the one located underneath the name area. Once the creature is placed it should show a check mark instead of the creatures token in the encounter window. Try increasing the number of monsters from 1 to 5 and you should see five tokens this will show you if you are drag and dropping the right tokens. Once you see the area I am talking about you can then reduce the number of monsters back to one and use that specific token to place.

Edited for clarity

Trenloe
September 17th, 2018, 20:45
This may not be specific to PF2 but incase it is I am posting in here for now. Feel free to move as appropriate Mods.

I am setting up a new PF2 adventure for the first time and I am trying to layout some encounters on a map. I am largely following methods I've seen posted here for doing this but I am uncertain if it is working properly.

Here are my steps:
1. Copy creatures from playtest bestiary module into my campaign
2. Add a token to the creature
3. Create a new encounter in my campaign
4. Drag and drop creature into the encounter
5. Open the map from images & maps
6. Drag and drop creature from the encounter onto the map

It was my understanding from some posts (though they may have been quite old) that once doing this, if I close the encounter the creatures should not be visible anymore but they are still there. Additionally, they are not faded out as if they would not be visible to players.
Nothing has changed from the usual process in the PFRPG2 ruleset.

The step you're missing is after step 6, when you close the encounter window, the tokens will disappear from the map. But the pre-placement info will remain in the encounter (as long as you see the ticks/check marks in the encounter entries). Then, when you want to place the encounter, click the arrow icon at the bottom of the encounter window to add the NPCs to the combat tracker and, if the pre-placement info is there, the tokens will be added to the map.

More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Encounters

shikage
September 17th, 2018, 22:09
Thanks Trenloe, glad to confirm nothing has changed but thought I would check.

My issue was I had dragged the wrong token is all. It's sorted and works great.