PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Heist decals

pumpkinstew
September 16th, 2018, 08:49
Does anybody know if there are plans to update Dragon Heist to include decals? As far as I can recall this is the first 5e product that doesn't have them and I really like having them to distinguish my campaigns.

Zacchaeus
September 16th, 2018, 09:02
It isn't the first to not have them actually, and I know of no plans to include them.

Talen
September 16th, 2018, 11:09
While hardly critical, it is a nice little addition for those mods that have it and a neat touch when you kick off a campaign. +1 here to adding it!

Bidmaron
September 16th, 2018, 15:00
Seems like above a certain price-point, SW should insist on a decal as part of its publishing standards. I don't do 5e, so not sure if the price-point would include this product.

Ampersandrew
September 16th, 2018, 15:25
I kinda hope the reason they don't have one is that they're working too hard on Unity to stop for decals. They were aiming for an alpha about 2 weeks ago. I hope that means they're getting close. For some value of close.

Trenloe
September 16th, 2018, 15:42
The FGU developers don't make decal extensions.

I think one of the main reasons is that decals are extensions, and any extension that is active gets downloaded to players and loaded into memory - causing a big resource usage on both the player and GM side. Now, this would not be an issue if GMs enabled only one or two decal extensions. But... no. There have been plenty of GMs posting on these forums who have every single decal extension enabled in their campaign.

There are currently 15 5E decal extensions. Loading all of these has a 400MB impact on FG memory use - even if you never select any of the decals. This 400MB is not insignificant when running a game that already has a lot of library modules open. Adding decals to every 5E product that is released will only make this memory use higher. Because, you guessed it, there will be plenty of GMs who will enable them all. I have no idea what the plans are, but maybe the decal architecture will change in the future, or it will become less of an issue when the 64-bit versions are available in the mainstream.

ddavison
September 16th, 2018, 15:59
The FGU developers don't make decal extensions.

I think one of the main reasons is that decals are extensions, and any extension that is active gets downloaded to players and loaded into memory - causing a big resource usage on both the player and GM side. Now, this would not be an issue if GMs enabled only one or two decal extensions. But... no. There have been plenty of GMs posting on these forums who have every single decal extension enabled in their campaign.

There are currently 15 5E decal extensions. Loading all of these has a 400MB impact on FG memory use - even if you never select any of the decals. This 400MB is not insignificant when running a game that already has a lot of library modules open. Adding decals to every 5E product that is released will only make this memory use higher. Because, you guessed it, there will be plenty of GMs who will enable them all. I have no idea what the plans are, but maybe the decal architecture will change in the future, or it will become less of an issue when the 64-bit versions are available in the mainstream.

I can confirm this. Memory utilization is the main reason holding them back at the moment. John is working on FGU and he also deployed the 64-bit FG Classic build. The 64-bit version is not fully production ready and will take some time to get hammered out as a full replacement for the 32-bit version. Once that is done, the memory usage issue should mostly go away and decals won't be a concern for memory usage. I don't want to pull him off of FGU stuff to work on 64-bit stuff, though, so I've decided to simply hold off on adding any more to the memory problem wherever I can. I'm typically the one who builds the decals though.

Skillkoil
September 19th, 2018, 01:59
I'm just using the decal of Xanathar from his guide module for Waterdeep. But the Decal of all the ships would be appropriate as well. So.. If you have Xanathar's Guide to Everything you can always use those!

pumpkinstew
September 20th, 2018, 10:14
I'm just using the decal of Xanathar from his guide module for Waterdeep. But the Decal of all the ships would be appropriate as well. So.. If you have Xanathar's Guide to Everything you can always use those!

The ships one I think is Port Nyazaru and I tended to use it for when I've run things in Chult.

I'm currently using the Xanathar and Sylgar one but it's not ideal, especially since I'm not running that season. I was hoping for one that had all four villains from the front cover really, or the spilling coins also featured on the cover.

ddavison
September 20th, 2018, 19:37
I just pushed a new update with decals for Waterdeep Dragon Heist. Please note that I added a little blurb about only loading one or two decal extensions at a time to help keep memory usage low. This will be less important after a stable 64-bit version is available but it is important to consider in the current build.

Zacchaeus
September 20th, 2018, 19:40
Nice :)

Skillkoil
September 20th, 2018, 20:00
I love the Coins!!!!!

pumpkinstew
September 20th, 2018, 20:21
I just pushed a new update with decals for Waterdeep Dragon Heist. Please note that I added a little blurb about only loading one or two decal extensions at a time to help keep memory usage low. This will be less important after a stable 64-bit version is available but it is important to consider in the current build.

Thank you so much, didn't expect you to do this.

They look great!

gqwebb
September 26th, 2018, 00:32

Thank you Doug!