PDA

View Full Version : Languages in FG

mikewizard
September 14th, 2018, 23:23
Hi.

The issue I'm having is that after initial character creation when I add new languages, the computer doesn't indicate that the PC which took the language can understand it whenever I type something in that language in the chat box.

Cheers in advance

LordEntrails
September 15th, 2018, 00:29
Do you have capitalization and spelling identical? Which ruleset? Can you show us a screen shot or two? Also, you might have to reload the campaign for language changes to take effect.

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2018, 00:37
The character also needs to have joined your game and be on the CT(or it might be the party sheet, I can’t remember which), since the system needs to actually broadcast the message for the language part to kick in.

GavinRuneblade
September 15th, 2018, 20:48
Do you have capitalization and spelling identical?

This bit is what threw me for a long time. "Elvish" is not "elven" is not "two of your choice: common and elven". Learn from my fail.

Identical really does mean identical, who would have thought. ^.^

Gallo Infligo
October 9th, 2018, 21:32
how do i add one that is not listed like druid, or minotaur?

shadzar
October 9th, 2018, 21:40

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43532-What-Will-the-Next-Storyline-From-Wizards-of-the-Coast-Be&p=389397&viewfull=1#post389397

this extension has all the 5e languages, and the little glyph font as a language added to those.

You can use it as an example. to add other languages.

You dont have to add new font to show funny characters for new languages, you can just use an existing font since nobody can read it if they can't read the language anyway.

it is probably in the docs or wiki site somewhere.

Trenloe
October 9th, 2018, 21:54
You can add more languages within a campaign from the "Languages" button in the options window. This allows you to assigned a language name to a font defined for language use.

You may find this extension useful: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26775-Expanded-Fantasy-Language-Fonts-(FG-v3-1-3-) It provides a bunch of pre-defined languages and new fonts to use. If you add this to existing campaign, pay attention to the "note" in post #1.

Gallo Infligo
October 9th, 2018, 22:08
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?43532-What-Will-the-Next-Storyline-From-Wizards-of-the-Coast-Be&p=389397&viewfull=1#post389397

it is probably in the docs or wiki site somewhere.

Thanks

Gallo Infligo
October 9th, 2018, 22:36
thanks a lot ;)

dmgmstcom
July 25th, 2019, 06:02
I am having this same issue. I have created a PC, assigned Orc as a language, placed the PC in both the Party Sheet and the Combat Tracker, rolled initiative, made sure it was his turn, and placed his token on the battle map. But when I type into the chat as the DM speaking Orc, it is not showing anyone as having understood it. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!

Trenloe
July 25th, 2019, 06:06
I am having this same issue. I have created a PC, assigned Orc as a language, placed the PC in both the Party Sheet and the Combat Tracker, rolled initiative, made sure it was his turn, and placed his token on the battle map. But when I type into the chat as the DM speaking Orc, it is not showing anyone as having understood it. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks!!
Welcome to the FG forums!

You need a player joined and controlling a character. The functionality is based around sending text to the logged in players, and showing the recognized text if a PC they control can understand the language.

Zacchaeus
July 25th, 2019, 12:32
Welcome to FG. As Trenloe says you need a joined player.

If you start a second instance of FG whilst you have your campaign open, you can click join game and in the alias section type localhost. You will have joined your own game as a player and see what players see and will be able to perform things like you were doing with the languages.