PDA

View Full Version : Strange: Looks like character "reset" somehow...

TheoGeek
September 11th, 2018, 02:56
I added a character to a campaign to test some stuff out so no big deal, but it it sort of scary.

I had him in a combat to test some things related to Twohy's coding packs, and everything worked awesome.

Anywho, I left for a bit but left FG running so some other players could connect and get their characters loaded, etc. When I came back, my "test" character had no name, all 10 stats, skills were at -5, no class, race, background. All items were gone. All spells gone. Everything looked like it just reset the character.

And this has happened once before as well.

Not sure what's going on, but this is the first time I've ever seen this in a LOT of playing time - hundreds of hours.

Stupidly, since it was a test character, I deleted him before I checked anything in the .XML files.

Anyone else seen anything like this?

Thanks!
Jeff.

LordEntrails
September 11th, 2018, 04:14
NO. Did one of your players take ownership of it while you were away?

Skillkoil
September 11th, 2018, 09:41
Sounds like someone is playing a prank on you. This won't help with characters but one thing I do just as a precaution when I'm going to leave a campaign running is to push a save with the chat window. Just type /save and then hit enter. FG is really good about saving content but it gives me peace of mind to see that "Campaign Saved" come up.

Trenloe
September 11th, 2018, 11:12
Sounds like someone is playing a prank on you. This won't help with characters but one thing I do just as a precaution when I'm going to leave a campaign running is to push a save with the chat window. Just type /save and then hit enter. FG is really good about saving content but it gives me peace of mind to see that "Campaign Saved" come up.
This is a nice thing to do in case there is a crash in the next 5 minutes (FG does /save in the background every 5 minutes - open the console with /console to see it happening).

In TheoGeek's case, if the data was changed in FG (by someone, some code, whatever) then the next time FG saves after that change (within 5 minutes) the previous saves for that day are overwritten. So manually issuing a /save wouldn't help here. If you're really concerned about data changing in your campaign, exit FG, take a backup of your campaign directories and then load FG back up. This will give you a solid backup of the campaign data at that point.

TheoGeek
September 11th, 2018, 17:10
Good points all. I don't think it's "tampering" - malicious or otherwise, but I'm not ruling anything out. The "tampering" could be completely accidental- we do have some new to FG players connecting. :)

Are there any potential log files I could look at (either now or in the future) to help track it down IF it ever happens again?

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
September 11th, 2018, 17:40
You'll find the chat log files in the campaign folder. It's called chatlog.html. But simply editing a character sheet wouldn't impinge on the chat, but there might be a clue in there as to what might have happened.

LordEntrails
September 11th, 2018, 19:38
Also, as the GM you can take ownership if a character, if you do that, then the character won't be available for players to access. As the GM, if you just create/open character, it doesn't take ownership of it and both you and a player can access and change it, but, if you take ownership, then a player wouldn't be the result of any changes.