PDA

View Full Version : Druid Wild Shape Effect

StoryWeaver
September 9th, 2018, 17:55
After a bit of research I've thought that to handle druid wild shapes I'd follow these steps:

1) Drag monster (such as a Black Bear in this example) from the NPC section onto the combat tracker.
2) Make them friendly (green skull, instead of the default red).
3) Add to the combat map.
4) Have druid add a universal wild shape effect from their actions tab on their character sheet to overwrite their, Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma modifiers, and compare proficiency bonuses and apply the higher one.

The fourth step is presenting problems in overwriting the attribute modifiers.

I've tried the following:

Wild Shape; INT: [INT]; WIS: [WIS]; CHA: [CHA]

In this case the modifier is applied if the character has some sort of modifier it seems. If it's 0 however, an empty value is returned from the request and instead of having no modifier on the NPC, whatever modifier the NPC had before is used. This is of course no good for a bear for example, that has a -4 modifier to intelligence skill checks and saving throws and the character has a 0 modifier to those rolls.

The second approach I tried was to enter the actual values of the attributes rather than the modifier.

Wild Shape; INT: 10; WIS: 15; CHA: 10

This doesn't work either, as while it applies modifiers, it's not the ones I'd expect.

ps. Adding INT: 0; manually does not work either, the NPC -4 modifier from the bear on intelligence related rolls is still used.

On a related note, is it possible to apply modifiers to specific saving throws or skill checks, not just to every roll as with using
SAV: 1 for example?

Another option which would be great would be if Smite Works added an optional allies list on the character sheets like they have for the Savage Worlds ruleset.
I've done some digging in the ruleset code for both systems to see if I could do that myself and create an extension that would accomplish that. So far have I a new tab with an entry field on the 5e character sheets to drag and drop NPCs onto. But it's slow going without proper development tools and trial and error for trying to figure out what's happening behind the sheets, then combining and modifying the code from different rulesets so it actually works properly.

Zacchaeus
September 9th, 2018, 18:44
The PC tags such as [INT] only add the modifier of whatever PC adds the effect. So if a PC has an INT bonus of 2 then ATK:[INT] will add 2 to the attack. In order to alter the ability scores of a character or NPC then you need to use the the keyword and add or subtract the difference in the ability score. So if your character has an intelligence score of 16 and the bear has 4 then you will need to apply an effect if INT: -12 to the PC.

Yes it is possible to add modifiers to saves and skill checks SAVE: 2, dexterity will add 2 to dex saves and SKILL: 2, athletics will add 2 to athletic rolls.

More information on effects in the wiki (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) and in these videos (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E).

You will also find more information on Druid wildshape here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23793-Any-easy-way-to-handle-druid-Battle-Wild-Shape-(circle-of-the-moon)) and here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?39307-Building-Druid-s-Wildshape-into-the-Character-sheet)

StoryWeaver
September 9th, 2018, 19:16
Thank you for your reply Zaccheus.

I had read through those threads before and found the solutions lacking for what I am trying to accomplish unfortunately. Hence why I am trying to find a singular universal effect or solution to apply to any NPC wild shape. That would simply blankly overwrite or replace the corresponding scores while the effect was active, rather than modifying the in place attributes.

In my last game I had a druid at mid levels, and towards the end of the campaign she had around 15 different shapes she choose between. That would really clutter up either the actions effects tab or the PC section and be prone to errors and mistakes if a new one would have to be created for each individual shape.

If one could overwrite stats directly temporarily however, a singular effect could be applied to any beast as int, wis, char remain the same as characters original in all cases, then taking higher proficiency bonuses as applicable with simple if/then statements.

The solution on the Savage Worlds character sheets is an elegant one as well, you can add your own allies or henchmen directly onto your sheet on a single line. Then you can open and modify as needed from the original NPC design. These can then be dragged onto the combat tracker and used directly.
A similar solution added to the 5e sheets would be fantastic for both NPC allies and wild shapes.

I've watched a number of development videos for FG so far, but I'll give those as look as well when I get the time. Thank you for sharing. :)

LordEntrails
September 10th, 2018, 02:22
Nope, no universal effect possible for wild shape.

Rather than adjust it with effects, what I had a player do in a similar situation was create and maintain a PC character sheet for each shape. Then I would just the correct shape to the CT and map. Probably not any better than what you've done, but another option.

robotdjuret
May 10th, 2020, 23:08
Whoops. I posted a totally irrelevant response here by mistake.

BronzeDodger
May 11th, 2020, 16:50
Just in case this is ever bubbles up again: Check out the One-Click Druid / Critically Awesome Essentials on the DMs guild.

Bonkon
May 11th, 2020, 18:38
Good Day All :)
And I will send props to MintyFresh's extension our group has used for a long time now :)
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?46890-Druid-Wild-Shapes-(for-5E)