PDA

View Full Version : Some general questions

Silas1066
June 16th, 2006, 23:36
If I want to run a game, do players need to "connect" to my pc? Is this a client-server application, in which case firewall issues are going to come?

Or do games run on servers on the company site?

richvalle
June 16th, 2006, 23:41
They connect to you. Some people have had firewall/port issues but usually with some advice from network savvy people here they are able to get it working.

I've played with 10 or so friends and have yet to have issues.

rv

Craw
June 18th, 2006, 13:18
Most modern firewalls have settings to allow contact by a specific program. Look around in your firewall settings and you will probably find it. Don't forget, if you have a router, it probably has its own security settings that need to be dealt with.

There are a handful of small steps that you can forget that can cause you to pull out your hair at times, but I'm pretty sure even the most tech-challenged of us have successfully gotten games running with help from the community.

If I can do it, anyone can. I didn't even know what a port was before I started hosting games on FG.

John_Geeshu
June 18th, 2006, 15:03
My firewall problems were fixed in about 30-seconds of tech support from a friendly FG user. No problemo.

Silas1066
June 18th, 2006, 20:47
o.k., looks like I have my firewall set up properly. Now I have some different questions.

Can you import maps? If so, what is the best way to do this?

Is there support for 1st & 2nd edition D&D (or Classic for that matter)? That would be really cool.

Stuart
June 18th, 2006, 21:06
In the Campaigns folder look for a folder called Images ... drop your png or jpeg maps and pictures in there. Try and keep them below about 600 KB.

Silas1066
June 18th, 2006, 21:16
you mean c:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds\Portraits?

I see an image option within the game, but not an option to put maps or pictures in there.

Also, I'm not able to exit the game! In the lower right corner is an option to exit, but it doesn't work. I have to ctrl-alt-del and manually halt the game. Is this fixed with a patch? Am I doing something wrong?

Griogre
June 18th, 2006, 22:03
you mean c:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds\Portraits?

I see an image option within the game, but not an option to put maps or pictures in there.

Also, I'm not able to exit the game! In the lower right corner is an option to exit, but it doesn't work. I have to ctrl-alt-del and manually halt the game. Is this fixed with a patch? Am I doing something wrong?
Portraits are for the portraits of the characters that show up in the rings on the top left. Don't mess with this folder while FG is running. It will cause a crash.

To exit the game right click on the wood top then select exit and I'm sure.

Images are in the campaign folder under the campaign name. You may drop things into this folder when the game is running without any problems.

Silas1066
June 19th, 2006, 02:45
ah -the demo version does not have the "images" folder. Now that I have the full version, I see it.

A couple more questions...

when using modules, is it possible to cut and paste text from the "story" section and stick it into the chat screen? I'd like to do this, otherwise it is going to be a lot of typing.

Also, I heard someone created some 1st/2nd edition AD&D rules for this program. Is this true?

Cantstanzya
June 19th, 2006, 03:08
when using modules, is it possible to cut and paste text from the "story" section and stick it into the chat screen? I'd like to do this, otherwise it is going to be a lot of typing.What you want to do is make the text a 'chat frame' in the story section that you want to show to your players. Then you can just drag the text to the chatbox.

Also, I heard someone created some 1st/2nd edition AD&D rules for this program. Is this true?I have taken the 1st edition ruleset that Elric created and added some things from Unearthed Arcana and some things from second edition like non-weapon proficiencies.

Silas1066
June 19th, 2006, 03:40
I don't know how to create a "chat frame." The manual didn't help.

Do I go into story mode, type text -and then what? Highlighting doesn't work.

Also, when I am building a campaign as a DM, I have the option to create characters, but I don't know how to add them to the game, and I don't know how to select a portrait. Any help would be great.

Silas1066
June 19th, 2006, 03:50
I think I may have figured out the chat frames.

Where can I get the 1st edition ruleset?

Has anyone done a Classic D&D ruleset?

Cantstanzya
June 19th, 2006, 03:58
Do I go into story mode, type text -and then what? Highlighting doesn't work.Once you add the text right click and then select 'Paragraph Type' and then select 'Chat Frame'.

Also, when I am building a campaign as a DM, I have the option to create characters, but I don't know how to add them to the game, and I don't know how to select a portrait. Any help would be great.For NPC characters use the NPCs use the "People" icon on the desktop. The character sheets that are in the Character Selection are for Player Characters and this is why you cannot select them. I sometimes will create an NPC using the character sheet because I can store more information on it. Maybe someday the DM will be able to use and control the character sheets for NPCs like they were a PC.

Cantstanzya
June 19th, 2006, 04:00
I think I may have figured out the chat frames.

Where can I get the 1st edition ruleset?

Has anyone done a Classic D&D ruleset?
I have PMed you. I also did a Classic D&D character sheet, but no ruleset for it.

tdwyer11b
June 22nd, 2006, 08:32
Don't know if you search the posts, but I'm currently working on a 2nd Ed. ruleset, as is Bakshara. Here's a screenshot of the character sheet.
https://img158.imageshack.us/img158/9974/screenshot00027ir.png

Oberoten
June 23rd, 2006, 09:54
D6 (maybe just a character sheet of some kind to keep it legal and nice) is in the works but I am stalling and waiting for 2.0 to see wether I can add some more functional dicepools etc. :)