PDA

View Full Version : Zacchaeus' Dragon Heist Map Pack

Zacchaeus
September 7th, 2018, 08:56
NOTE: This module is now bundled with the Dragon Heist module so everyone gets it with the download. I've removed the link since it's now redundant.

So, you've just bough Dragon Heist and you don't like the map style that they used? Then this is where Zacchaeus' Dragon Heist Map pack comes in.

This pack contains all (yes that's that right all 50) of the maps but drawn in colour. Each of them is as close as possible to the original maps and includes as much of the detail as it was possible to do from the descriptions in the text. All of them have an FG grid already drawn on them at 50px. The maps are all named similarly to the maps in the adventure so there shouldn't be an issue finding the right one.

Happy Gaming

Skillkoil
September 7th, 2018, 09:18
I bought WDH at midnight and just downloaded your map module! Thanks!

Skillkoil
September 7th, 2018, 09:23
WOW, I am going through these maps now and they look AMAZING!!! I highly reccomend this map mod for anyone! Great work!!!

rob2e
September 7th, 2018, 09:28
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw SNAP!

Gwydion
September 7th, 2018, 13:14
Amazing, Zacchaeus! Thanks so much.

esmdev
September 7th, 2018, 13:23
I must say these are a 1000% improvement over the book maps. I am glad to see an alternative so quickly. Not sure what WotC was thinking with the book maps. :(

Thank you, so much!

LordEntrails
September 7th, 2018, 17:09
Thanks Mr. Z! Always so awesome of you to do these. Appreciate it :)

FG_Dave
September 7th, 2018, 18:44
Thanks so much for taking time to do this Zacc!

Aisynia
September 8th, 2018, 03:59
NOTE: This module is now bundled with the Dragon Heist module so everyone gets it with the download. I've removed the link since it's now redundant.

So, you've just bough Dragon Heist and you don't like the map style that they used? Then this is where Zacchaeus' Dragon Heist Map pack comes in.

This pack contains all (yes that's that right all 50) of the maps but drawn in colour. Each of them is as close as possible to the original maps and includes as much of the detail as it was possible to do from the descriptions in the text. All of them have an FG grid already drawn on them at 50px. The maps are all named similarly to the maps in the adventure so there shouldn't be an issue finding the right one.

Happy Gaming

Any chance you will release these somewhere else like DMsGuild for those of us who play tabletop in person? The included maps in the book are truly terrible and I could do better with a sharpie. I like to print them out and use them as mats but the ones included by WOTC are super bad. It's depressing and I feel ripped off.

Myrdin Potter
September 8th, 2018, 05:44
The cartographer they used is very popular and releases a maps for free several times a week. I like his style and the maps in the books. Some of the previous colored ones were muddy or hard to use, the ones included are clean and stylish.

However, for VTT they are too plain.

mac40k
September 8th, 2018, 13:46

While I think it is great that FG is bundling the mod with the module when purchased, I'm so happy I saw this thread yesterday and got the mod before the link disappeared. There are a couple of maps in there that will prove useful to me in another campaign, and I will probably never run a D&D game, let alone this scenario.

ddavison
September 8th, 2018, 19:07
While I think it is great that FG is bundling the mod with the module when purchased, I'm so happy I saw this thread yesterday and got the mod before the link disappeared. There are a couple of maps in there that will prove useful to me in another campaign, and I will probably never run a D&D game, let alone this scenario.

It's a separate module, so you can activate it and use it in any campaign. You don't have to use it with this adventure.

Skillkoil
September 8th, 2018, 22:48
Since I downloaded this module already when he first released it will it make a duplicate in my modules folder from the update?

Mortar
September 8th, 2018, 22:56
It's a separate module, so you can activate it and use it in any campaign. You don't have to use it with this adventure.

Yeah, but that means I have to buy the product and send some commission his way to get his maps :pirate:

LordEntrails
September 8th, 2018, 23:30
Yeah, but that means I have to buy the product and send some commission his way to get his maps :pirate:
I felt the same way. But then had to accept that if Mr. Z had wanted, he could have sold it on the store or Guild in the first place. Since I'll be buying this module, and I already downloaded it, it doesn't really impact me any which way.

Mortar
September 8th, 2018, 23:51
I'll end up getting the module at some point...just for the maps since I don't play 5E :)

ddavison
September 10th, 2018, 15:03

That was definitely a consideration.

Mortar
September 11th, 2018, 03:38
I suspect I will be getting the map pack on or about the beginning of October.

The High Druid
September 11th, 2018, 17:30
That was definitely a consideration.

Would have been *much* better not to make them "public" first and then remove them.

Like LordEntrails above, I'm gonna get the module at some point (probably when it goes on sale, as I'm currently running something else) so I'll get Zacc's maps when I do that. But for those not intending to buy the module, those that don't even play D&D, it's not a great feeling to come to the forums like I did, see a new post offering maps, and find out you missed out because you didn't log in a couple of hours sooner.

ddavison
September 11th, 2018, 17:54
It was not my decision to make them public first. I agree and would not have done so. I also don't want to see them up on competing sites and VTTs either. My first thought when I saw them was, "why are you giving away this much stuff for free when it took you about 3 weeks to build them?" Those things have definite value. While I at times will promote people giving away stuff for free, I also have no problem encouraging creative people to charge money for creative work.

Considerations for making them a free add-in to a paid product instead of a stand-alone free item:

They reference and replace named locations within Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. There are copyright considerations there that we could completely avoid by packaging it.
It took Zacchaeus about 3 weeks to build them and he did so purposefully to supplment WDH - a product he was converting
Including them as part of the paid product encrypts them so they would only be usable within FG and not on competitors sites or products
It would provide one more reason to buy the official WDH module - financially benefiting Wotc, SmiteWorks and Zacchaeus. Service-wise
It benefits customers of WDH and those who maintain their D&D Bundles
It would remove the need for a dropbox link or for "knowledge" of the forum post
It would ensure everyone who buys the module gets it automatically

I strive to be transparent in my decision making so you know where I stand. Instead of removing the post and acting like it never happened, I have no problem describing why we made a change. You are free to disagree with it and even voice your displeasure with it. My hope is that you'll understand our viewpoint.

The High Druid
September 11th, 2018, 21:53
Zacc's maps absolutely have value, and that is of course why people will be disappointed to have missed them.

It's just the "Here's some great maps for you!" "Yoink!" That should be avoided if at all possible.

Zacchaeus
September 11th, 2018, 22:08
Zacc's maps absolutely have value, and that is of course why people will be disappointed to have missed them.

It's just the "Here's some great maps for you!" "Yoink!" That should be avoided if at all possible.

Just to be clear Doug had no idea that I had done any maps until I posted them.

Skillkoil
September 11th, 2018, 22:37
So to comply with copyright should I delete the original map module that Zacchaeus posted last Thursday night?

matshelge
September 14th, 2018, 20:28
Love the maps, and not that I am ungreatful, but anyone have quick way to make these the default maps with all the pins for the module?
Just wanted to ask, before I start the manual process.

Zacchaeus
September 14th, 2018, 22:06
There isn't a way to do that without being able to access the module and in any case I am not sure that the maps will be the same size as those in the module anyway so the pins will be all over the place.

Grommit57
September 15th, 2018, 04:52
Thank You Good Sir. As usual Awesome job!

shadzar
September 15th, 2018, 10:53
now i am curious to see how the maps differ if Z's are that much better than the WotC artist... and wouldnt it be wasy to have everything align with the pins by jsut resizing Z's maps in the bundle to match those from the book?

Zacchaeus
September 15th, 2018, 13:30
The maps aren't exactly the same dimensions and you won't be able to access either the originals or the alternatives in order to do any resizing I'm afraid. It should not, however take any length of time to pin the alternative maps if you wanted to do that. You'll still have the DM map which will be pinned so the alternative ones might not even need pins.

Skillkoil
September 15th, 2018, 18:03
I have had this map pack since it and the module was released. I can promise you that Zacchaeus' maps are head and shoulders better than the WoTC's black and white hand drawn ones.

Furious
September 15th, 2018, 18:13
Thanks a lot for those maps.
Is there an easy way to get all the links from the story to the colored maps? because they dont have the same names, searching through the module for the correct map can be a little (very little)confusing and a little time consuming compared to just click the link in the story tab. I know i could create them myself but since most DM going through this adventure are going to use them, couldn't FG add a second link in the story tabs to direct you either to the original black and white or the colored one?

Dont want to sound ungratefull because i am very happy to have them. and for free! wow!

Thanks!

LordEntrails
September 15th, 2018, 18:18
Thanks a lot for those maps.
Is there an easy way to get all the links from the story to the colored maps? because they dont have the same names, searching through the module for the correct map can be a little (very little)confusing and a little time consuming compared to just click the link in the story tab. I know i could create them myself but since most DM going through this adventure are going to use them, couldn't FG add a second link in the story tabs to direct you either to the original black and white or the colored one?

Dont want to sound ungratefull because i am very happy to have them. and for free! wow!

Thanks!
No, please read the half dozen posts immediately preceding yours as to why this isn't done.

Heavy
October 8th, 2018, 16:16
I can't find it on DMsGuild is there a link?

Myrdin Potter
October 8th, 2018, 16:23
I can't find it on DMsGuild is there a link?

They are included with the module in the FG store (menu bar on top of this page) or Steam.

Mortar
October 8th, 2018, 16:27
Just run the FG updater, the module will be updated to include the map pack.

Jae
November 5th, 2018, 02:24
Where do I find the maps

Jae
November 5th, 2018, 02:29
Ok found it but is this only digital? I don't need module just maps

FG_Dave
November 5th, 2018, 02:42

They are not just the map files. The maps come in a .mod format to use with the program.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2018, 09:15
Welcome to the FG forums!

The additional maps were specifically produced to go with the FG module. You need to purchase the FG product to get the additional maps for use in FG.

MrChocolate
November 18th, 2018, 05:48
Where do I download this map pack from? Can't see a download link, or am I missing something?

FG_Dave
November 18th, 2018, 06:56
Where do I download this map pack from? Can't see a download link, or am I missing something?

Look at post #38 above you.

Serafyna
November 18th, 2018, 21:55
I was amazed when I downloaded Zacc's map pack back in Oct when I first found the original post-link, and when I looked through them to get a feel for the maps my new party would be using, I fell in love~! I especially loved the fact that Sir Zacchaeus even went and made a map for the Yawning Portal Tavern! It made it a little easier for my players to figure out where they were in relation to the enemy mobs.
I can understand why the FG Devs decided to include the map pack in the actual module bundle - with how much work went into these maps (it took you 3 weeks? That's pretty speedy for 50+ maps! You're the Map-making king!) the last thing I believe the FG devs and even Zacchaeus want would be to see these maps used for another program it wasn't created for - otherwise, like some others have already said, he would have just posted the maps to somewhere like the DM's Guild. So no haters or flamers please, especially when the devs have clearly stated their point of view / reasoning.

Arcanun
November 19th, 2018, 18:59
I bought the Dragon Heist through steam, and i was looking for the map pack that is suposed to be included, where do i need to go to access it?

LordEntrails
November 19th, 2018, 19:33
I bought the Dragon Heist through steam, and i was looking for the map pack that is suposed to be included, where do i need to go to access it?
It will have downloaded after you did your Update and is it's own module. Check your library when you are in a 5E campaign.

ddavison
November 19th, 2018, 19:54
It will have downloaded after you did your Update and is it's own module. Check your library when you are in a 5E campaign.

Yep, it should show up in your Library automatically as the Zacchaeus Dragon Heist Map Pack.

Trenloe
November 19th, 2018, 20:14
Yep, it should show up in your Library automatically as the Zacchaeus Dragon Heist Map Pack.
Beginning with a Z - no wonder people can’t find it at the bottom of the list! ;-)

Zacchaeus
November 19th, 2018, 21:27
Beginning with a Z - no wonder people can’t find it at the bottom of the list! ;-)

:) :) :)

Arcanun
November 20th, 2018, 16:33

That explains a lot when i see that the module was "in" dragon hest i thought it would load with it... but it is its own module, thanks!

KlatuB
December 2nd, 2018, 03:40
Zacchaeus,

First off great work on the maps. This is my OCD kicking in here, On the second floor of Trollskull Manor, how do you get into the "spare room" (bottom right of map), you missed the door.

Zacchaeus
December 2nd, 2018, 09:04
Zacchaeus,

First off great work on the maps. This is my OCD kicking in here, On the second floor of Trollskull Manor, how do you get into the "spare room" (bottom right of map), you missed the door.

Haha, indeed it certainly looks that way. I'll note that down for fixing. Thanks for reporting.

Marbanya
January 15th, 2019, 16:17
First of all, THANK YOU Zacchaeus for the custom maps for WDH.

I have an error when trying to load: Xanathar-Guild-Hideout map. Any idea what's going on here?

Zacchaeus
January 15th, 2019, 16:37
That map had the wrong name which I fixed but you are still trying to load the old one. You should close and then reopen the module which should fix the issue.

If you have linked the map somewhere and are trying to open it via that link then you'll need to relink with the newly renamed map.

scarymike23
February 10th, 2019, 16:52
These are awesome. Any chance you'll do these for DOMM?

Zacchaeus
February 10th, 2019, 18:41
These are awesome. Any change you'll do these for DOMM?

Since Doug and Jen already did maps for DotMM (included in the module) it would seem a bit like reinventing the wheel.

LordEntrails
October 9th, 2019, 20:26
My group is finally getting to the Sea Maidens' Faire and I can't find a map of your to correspond to the "Fore and Aft" Decks of the ship(s). Is that missing or perhaps has a name I can't find or?

Zacchaeus
October 9th, 2019, 22:03
My group is finally getting to the Sea Maidens' Faire and I can't find a map of your to correspond to the "Fore and Aft" Decks of the ship(s). Is that missing or perhaps has a name I can't find or?

Doesn't look like I did one for that, sorry. You'll just need to use the black and white one.

Edit: Wait I did do one for that. However for whatever reason I called it Shop Fore and Aft and so it missed being included in the module. I should add it.

LordEntrails
October 9th, 2019, 22:57
Thanks!

Minty23185Fresh
March 21st, 2020, 22:19
Excellent work Zacchaeus. I hope to start Dragon Heist soon. I'm getting familiar with it now.

I read the Story item, your copyright notice essentially. I would like to use the Alley map in an Adventurers' League session that I am running. I won't be redistributing them, just using the one map for my player's and it's time use. As near as I can tell I would not be violating your copyright nor your trust. Please let me know if I am in error.

(I read through the comments in this thread looking to see if my question was addressed elsewhere. I mostly saw whining and complaining, mostly. It never ceases to amaze me at how much and how many people will do just that about something freely given. "Give a Mouse a Cookie".)

Thanks Zacchaeus, I really appreciate your work and your time spent. I wish I was as adept as you at CC3+, it would have taken me a year to make those maps!

Bonkon
March 23rd, 2020, 23:12
Good Day Zacchaeus :)
I am looking through Dragon Heist as my next module to run and as I look at the Xanathar Guild Hideout from this incredible .mod, I do not see any doors indicated on it, the text says all doors are unlocked. Plus I had to add the grid to the Hideout. :)

EDIT: I do see the doors on the eastern side of the map, apparently the only doors missing are the ones from Q1 and the hall to Q2&3.

Zacchaeus
March 24th, 2020, 00:13
You are correct; I'll take a note to fix that.

graphil
August 22nd, 2021, 12:33
Awesome job Zacchaeus these are a great addition to the module.

webdove
August 27th, 2021, 19:04
Hi Zacchaeus,
Has Smiteworks ever considered offering some or all of their LOS/Lighting created module maps (like this one that you did for Heist) for a small fee?
This would help people like me who need encounter maps that are missing from purchased modules like City of Eyes.
It would also help people (like me) who have created encounters and need an appropriate map to use them with.
Thanks
Web

Zacchaeus
August 27th, 2021, 22:25
I'm not aware of any maps which are similar to Dragon Heist. I did the Dragon Heist ones just for the module and SW reached out and asked if they could be included in the module. You'll probably find may thousands of maps online if you need a spare map or two and SW have also published a slew of generic maps if you search on the store.

webdove
August 27th, 2021, 22:33
I see. Most of the online ones lack LOS and lighting.

webdove
August 27th, 2021, 22:57
xxx

Bonkon
November 4th, 2021, 19:29
Good Day Zacchaeus :)
Love the work you put into the maps, I am running this adventure now and ran across two minor LOS discrepancies. On the Cassalanters - Ground map:
There is a wall and secret door missing between rooms C3 and C11.
The door to the cellar is missing in room C5.

Thanks for all the work you put in here! :)

Zacchaeus
November 5th, 2021, 10:26
Oh dear. I'll get those fixed. Thanks for pointing it out.

Munsonmerker
March 16th, 2022, 04:47
Hope someone is still around to see this, but does this still exist? and where can i get it?

LordEntrails
March 16th, 2022, 04:53
Hope someone is still around to see this, but does this still exist? and where can i get it?
Welcome.
Yes it still exists. Please see the big bold red text in the OP. It will answer your questions.