PDA

View Full Version : Resetting Player Module Visibility/Access

LordEntrails
September 6th, 2018, 04:31
So noticed this first time last week and reproduced it with our game tonight. Player modules that the GM allows are not allowed the next session.

Is this intended? i.e. having to go back in and greenlight each player module for access each session?

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2018, 10:48
I haven't seen this. There is a file in your campaign folder called modulestate.xml which should show what modules that are or are not allowed. The only thing I can think of is that that file isn't saving properly or some such.

Also are you using any extensions which might interfere with that process.

LordEntrails
September 6th, 2018, 17:19
I haven't seen this. There is a file in your campaign folder called modulestate.xml which should show what modules that are or are not allowed. The only thing I can think of is that that file isn't saving properly or some such.

Also are you using any extensions which might interfere with that process.
Since it requires a repeat action from a player with content I don't I haven't been able to do the testing I would like. i.e. turning off extensions and testing in a new campaign.

I am using 2 extensions, Improved Critical and NPC Flavors. I don't see why either of those would impact this, but maybe...

The modulestate.xml file for the campaign is attached. It was modified last night with all the other files and permissions are the same. Iit looks right now, for instance I don't own/have the "5E Feats Effects Coding" module but one of my players does. So it looks like this is right, but it was an error that repeated...

Any ideas on what else to look for?

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2018, 17:45
Right I misunderstood what you meant by player modules that the DM allows. I took that to mean things like the PHB that was green ticked by default or something that the DM owned that they allowed. I don't have players with modules that I don't own so my answer is a bit wayward in the respect that I would never see this happening. So it could very well be that the DM has to re-apply the permission in such a situation.

Andraax
September 6th, 2018, 19:34
I'm guessing there is a file / directory permission problem on the player's end, and the permission token is not being saved in their cache.

LordEntrails
September 6th, 2018, 19:40
I'm guessing there is a file / directory permission problem on the player's end, and the permission token is not being saved in their cache.
Maybe. But shouldn't access be determined by the modulestate.xml file on my system since I'm host?

Skillkoil
September 6th, 2018, 20:20
From my experience if a player has a module that the DM doesn't, once you "Allow" that module it edits your modulestate.xml and should let the player access it on any subsequent connection. The only time I have had to go back in and re-allow player owned modules is after some big updates. For example the version change from 3.3.5 to 3.3.6. I hope this helps.

Zacchaeus
September 6th, 2018, 21:12
Maybe. But shouldn't access be determined by the modulestate.xml file on my system since I'm host?

I'm with Andraax. The player's cache also reflects the state of things at their end.

Moon Wizard
September 6th, 2018, 21:40
Permissions should be saved in the GM module state XML; and the open/close state should be saved in the player module state XML. The module state XML file you posted shows that it is saving the allowed state.

Is it just not remembering to load between sessions on the player side, or is it not available to them? If the former, then I would guess that the cache file isn't saving correctly, and to have them clear the cache before they connect next time. If the latter, it would require more investigation.

JPG

LordEntrails
September 6th, 2018, 23:17
Permissions should be saved in the GM module state XML; and the open/close state should be saved in the player module state XML. The module state XML file you posted shows that it is saving the allowed state.

Is it just not remembering to load between sessions on the player side, or is it not available to them? If the former, then I would guess that the cache file isn't saving correctly, and to have them clear the cache before they connect next time. If the latter, it would require more investigation.

JPG
Thanks All,
So were' only 5 session in and it's the last two that we suspected this repeating.

What happened on this last session (which the xml file is from) is that the player said they could not access the modules, I went back into the module activation and the modules had the red x on them, as soon as I reset them to green everything worked.

I will see if I can get the player to log on sometime and retest. See if it repeats again. We'll try clearing the cache and checking their permissions and I'll get back to the thread with the results. May be a few days.