PDA

View Full Version : Which is the best Voice Chat application for Fantasy Grounds 2018?

StylinLP38
September 4th, 2018, 21:18
I saw the TeamSpeak pinned thread but that is years old. I used all of them one time or another playing every MMO every made over the last 20 years. I remember times that one or the other was the best. What is the best these days for this use case? And why?
Is there a dedicated server for Fantasy Grounds on any of these that are dependable?

Andraax
September 4th, 2018, 21:42
I prefer TeamSpeak. Others like Discord. Yet others use Hangouts.

Use whatever works best for you and your players.

Zacchaeus
September 4th, 2018, 22:19
You'll find a link to the FG Discord server here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?36377-New-Official-Discord-Server).

Skillkoil
September 4th, 2018, 22:59
Whatever happened to Ventrillo & Mumble? haha

LordEntrails
September 4th, 2018, 23:15
Whichever one you like :)

Teamspeak uses lower bandwidth than others. It has the ability to have lots of controls and channels etc.
Discord has integrated messaging and attachments that are nice, as well as notifications etc. But uses more bandwidth
Skype is, ime, unstable and uses bandwidth.
Hangouts, never tried as TS and Discord are more than enough.

Skillkoil
September 4th, 2018, 23:23
I prefer discord because of the integration of chat and voice. It also allows "Roles" for users so if you run multiple campaigns on a single Discord you can assign people to their respective campaigns and they don't get spammed with information they don't need. It is a little more bandwidth heavy but the specificity in which you can organize a Discord server is worth the price you pay in bandwidth, in my opinion.

StylinLP38
September 5th, 2018, 06:46
I decided to try Discord since I already have an account and the app installed.